Name this plane

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
I've seen it at Iola (68C) where they have a fly-in every Friday at noon, rain or shine, with some of the most beautiful classic airplanes you'll ever see... But I don't remember what it is! :dunno:

960970557_21aa847a06_b.jpg

Looks like a New Standard to me.

Which one? The D-25 held 5 people, certainly bigger than this one. The NT-1 appears to have a much smaller engine and tapered nose. Couldn't find any others.

BTW, this one is still flying for what it's worth, and is probably located in the Wisconsin area as I saw it at last year's Central County Chili Fly-in at 68C. Unfortunately, I missed this year's as it was yesterday while we were on the way back from HFD. :(

I need the weird-plane expert (that's you Steve ;)) to weigh in here!

Which one? The NT-1 appears to have a much smaller engine and tapered nose. Couldn't find any others.

Not saying that it is or isn't, but I wouldn't use the engine to exclude the airframe. Many old planes are flying with larger, higher horsepower engines than origional. If one would use that criteria, there would be a lot of Stearmans that you wouldn't be able to identify.

I thought it might have been a Pitcairn Speedwing, but the N strut threw me....:(

It must be a custom built one of a kind. Aerofiles doesn't list it.

How'd ya find it?
It took two steps. I googled:' "Miles Air Service" Ponca' (with the single quotes absent)
to get an EAA newsletter with a 'name that plane' contest in it. Their picture showed the NC number. I googled that number and there she was!

-Skip

Back