Name this airplane

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
An old friend flew in to visit today in his new (to him) airplane. There weren't very many of these made. Can anybody name it? It's an experimental.

It kinda reminds me of a cartoon airplane. :)

It is a fully aerobatic one-design expressly for aerobatic competition and is available as a quick build kit to individual builders as an experimental. It was designed by Dan Wren (sp?) to carry either a 150 HP or 180 HP engine which would allow it to compete in either of two classes. The aerobatic assoc endorses the use of this aircraft.

The design is intended to replace the Pitts which has become unaffordable and lags in the competion arena. What you have now is different types of a/c competing in the same class a problem which a one-design eliminates. (It's an apples to apples thing useful in judging) Also, this one-design aircraft is meant to be simple and affordable thereby putting competition within reach of many pilots without having to mortgage the house.

Last edited:
Looks similar to a Culver. Could it be a Soneri?

So far, Joe has the best answer. But I would like to see the one that Richard is talking about.

is that one of the CH planes? Did it have a yoke or a stick?

Yeah, after thinking about this I'm gonna' go with the Culver. Actually, that was my 1st thought but I just finished looking at a still being built one design that I guess that's still on my mind. Although it looks like a bubble canopy could fit nicely.

Diana said:
An old friend flew in to visit today in his new (to him) airplane. There weren't very many of these made. Can anybody name it? It's an experimental.

It kinda reminds me of a cartoon airplane. :)

Gads thats ugly, I'd have to wear a paper bag to be seen in it;) Looks like something pulled off a Culver Cadet.

Henning said:
Gads thats ugly, I'd have to wear a paper bag to be seen in it;)

LOL! Henning, I think it's cute! In a cartoonish sort of way. Maybe it would look better with a girl flying it.

Well, it's not a Culver, but the guy may have borrowed some of the design.

This is fun! :)

NickDBrennan said:
Did it have a yoke or a stick?

It has a stick.

It's a Mace M103. Has a 95 hp Continental. Charley said it's been using 4 gph. Sounds cheap to run.

>He re-entered downwind as the rain picked up and again very hot and billowing smoke he sat it down on the grass next to the runway, hit a small rise, collapsed the gear (this is a "fixed gear" btw) and slid a couple of hundred feet on the belly. Pilots sits there for a second, then calmly slides the canopy back and sets foot on the ground.

I guess any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.

Back