Name that snake.

Yeah, does look like a hognose snake. They're really cool, the only animals that truly play dead. When frightened they convulse and roll over dead. If you right them they roll themselves back over. Possoms just faint.

They are utterly harmless, eating frogs and mice and whatever else they can catch and fit down their gullet. Snakes are cool, and way better to have around than the vermin they eat.

When they're smaller they imitate pygmy rattlers, but its fairly easy to tell the difference if you know what to look for.

As far as a fear of snakes goes, Im not a fan of them. If they are venomous and near my house, they will die. Its just not safe with the amount of kids around here. Nonvenomous ones can go about their business with no bother from me and Ill come and look at em for a bit and then go about my day.

Snakes don't bother me, and as Rich said they eat rodents, and insects. I like bats too because they eat mosquitos, plus I like how they fly. ;)

We had big rattlers in the open space behind our house in Colorado. They would sun themselves and if you weren't careful, you could just step on one. We had Prairie Dogs too, which is why we probably had rattlers.

The original snake pictured is an Eastern Hognose. The melanistic or black phase. Totally harmless. The snake pictured a little later in the thread is a black ratsnake.

I'm sorta into snakes. I have a few snake videos as well as some Christen Eagle flying videos on my YouTube channel. One of my videos was used on Discovery Channel.

www.youtube.com/loub747

That IS a gorgeous snake. For a second there, I thought u were gonna start crying like the Double Rainbow guy, but u worked it out! :rofl:

Seems like this lil feller was fearless, wasn't afraid of u at all.

The original snake pictured is an Eastern Hognose. The melanistic or black phase. Totally harmless. The snake pictured a little later in the thread is a black ratsnake.

I'm sorta into snakes. I have a few snake videos as well as some Christen Eagle flying videos on my YouTube channel. One of my videos was used on Discovery Channel.

www.youtube.com/loub747

You're a brave man, not many folks I know have the testicular fortitude to land a christen eagle.

Yeah, the Eagle definitely gets all my attention on landing. Even takeoffs require concentration. Usually about the time the takeoff gets out of control you just pull be back and be done with it. Then you realize you have to land it again. Not being able to see ahead of you is a really strange feeling. I'm not sure I'll ever really get used to it. In the air it is really nice to fly though.

Back