Name that movie

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
A movie filmed in that rich, full saturation color of the 1940s. Bush pilots in Canada in the time period leading up to Hitler's march across Europe. When the news of war hits the newspapers and radio some of the bush pilots answer the call to join the RCAF. Some wash out of the intense pilot training in Canada, those that make it get sent on to fight in the Battle of Britain. Some pilots decide to not join up so they stay to fly the bush in Canada.

There are the typical tensions, love trysts, and subplots but all are just backdrops for the incredible flying scenes throughout the movie. Lots of flying in this movie. Language is English, no subtitles. I don't remember any actor's name or the producer's name.

Richard said:
A movie filmed in that rich, full saturation color of the 1940s. Bush pilots in Canada in the time period leading up to Hitler's march across Europe. When the news of war hits the newspapers and radio some of the bush pilots answer the call to join the RCAF. Some wash out of the intense pilot training in Canada, those that make it get sent on to fight in the Battle of Britain. Some pilots decide to not join up so they stay to fly the bush in Canada.

There are the typical tensions, love trysts, and subplots but all are just backdrops for the incredible flying scenes throughout the movie. Lots of flying in this movie. Language is English, no subtitles. I don't remember any actor's name or the producer's name.

Captain of the Clouds...??

Been years since I've seen it though.

Last edited:
Captains of the Clouds it is...

Warner Bros.
James Cagney
Dennis Morgan
Alan Hale
George Tobias
Reginald Gardnier
Reginald Denny

I'm looking at my VHS copy of it right now.
Nominated for Color Cinematography Oscar.
Cagney's first color film.

Reading the first few words I thought you were talking about 49th Parallel... been on AMC or TCM several times lately.

Only tangentially related to aviation, but still a neat movie, a WW2 tale that is kind of unusual.

Steve providing a list of the actors jogged my memory. I do recall a very young Alan Hale and Reggie Denny. It was Cagney who purposely crashed into the RCAF hangers, right? I'll have to watch the movie again.:yes:

alaskaflyer said:
Reading the first few words I thought you were talking about 49th Parallel... been on AMC or TCM several times lately.

Only tangentially related to aviation, but still a neat movie, a WW2 tale that is kind of unusual.

I saw that one last week too. If you want to see some really bogus engine out maneuvers in an old seaplane, it's your movie!

Richard said:
Steve providing a list of the actors jogged my memory. I do recall a very young Alan Hale and Reggie Denny. It was Cagney who purposely crashed into the RCAF hangers, right? I'll have to watch the movie again.:yes:

The skipper Alan Hale was Alan Hale, Jr.

Dave Krall CFII said:
I saw that one last week too. If you want to see some really bogus engine out maneuvers in an old seaplane, it's your movie!

Yeah. Next time you have an engine out and need to make the landing area, dive to pick up speed, then pull up to use that excess energy to squeeze more distance than you originally had available to you.

I got a "withdrew" in college physics, but something seems fishy there. :rolleyes:

Anyway, it's easy to forget that Canada was fighting WW2 almost 2 years before the US.

alaskaflyer said:
Yeah. Next time you have an engine out and need to make the landing area, dive to pick up speed, then pull up to use that excess energy to squeeze more distance than you originally had available to you.

I got a "withdrew" in college physics, but something seems fishy there. :rolleyes:

Anyway, it's easy to forget that Canada was fighting WW2 almost 2 years before the US.

Nice old seaplane though, what was it a NorseMan or something?

Back