name that airport

bluee

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
AL
Wasn't there a name that airport thread around here?

Attachments

• DSC00182.JPG
    DSC00182.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 123
Displaced Threshold International Airport?

Yes, Tangier. Not far from here. Not much there either.

You can drive around in golf carts, which are actually kinda fun.
Lots of places like that. Most notable that I'm familiar with is Catalina Island.

I've already looked at several properties on Tangiers. I'm thinking a visit is in order prolly next year. Other than lack of surf the place looks good.

Actually, it looks as if they've redone the runway since the last time I was there. Used to be quite a hump there that could relaunch you if you weren't down solidly. I "love" this from the A/FD: "BE ALERT: RSTD AREA ONE MI WEST OF ARPT; HI-SPEED ACFT DROP BOMBS & FIRE LIVE AMUNITION IN AREA.":yikes:

Out of curiousity - how do you guys get to Tangier from the DC area? Do you get permission to enter R-4006 from the north? Go south, east, and then enter the restricted area to the north? I want to take a trip there but all of the restricted space around there is intimidating.

Actually, it looks as if they've redone the runway since the last time I was there. Used to be quite a hump there that could relaunch you if you weren't down solidly. I "love" this from the A/FD: "BE ALERT: RSTD AREA ONE MI WEST OF ARPT; HI-SPEED ACFT DROP BOMBS & FIRE LIVE AMUNITION IN AREA.":yikes:

I have never flown to tangier but I have visited many many times. My parents have had a place on the other side of the bay for the last 15 years - I go to the eastern shore to fish alot. The waters surrounding the island are great for fishing. I have pulled many huge red drum off of the wrecks and live ordinance that surround tangier.

To me tangier is downright creepy. Worth a visit because its like stepping off the boat (or plane) into another society. Its a great destination for a day trip or maybe an overnight stay at one of the bed and breakfast hotels but I couldn't stand it for much longer than that.

That's why runway 2 is right traffic, to stay out of the restricted area. I think the runway was repaved a few years ago.

I'm flying from the Richmond area, and I fly first to the Eastern Shore and then around to Tangier, to avoid the restricted area.

That's why runway 2 is right traffic, to stay out of the restricted area. I think the runway was repaved a few years ago.

I'm flying from the Richmond area, and I fly first to the Eastern Shore and then around to Tangier, to avoid the restricted area.
I think it was repaved in 2009. When I went in there, it was on an IFR flight plan before the repaving.

I have never flown to tangier but I have visited many many times. My parents have had a place on the other side of the bay for the last 15 years - I go to the eastern shore to fish alot. The waters surrounding the island are great for fishing. I have pulled many huge red drum off of the wrecks and live ordinance that surround tangier.

To me tangier is downright creepy. Worth a visit because its like stepping off the boat (or plane) into another society. Its a great destination for a day trip or maybe an overnight stay at one of the bed and breakfast hotels but I couldn't stand it for much longer than that.
We went there with about four other people and stayed overnight in one of the B&Bs. Then we headed down the coast and did First Flight and Ocracoke.

Wasn't there a name that airport thread around here?

Sort of. Last I saw, it was a "thread drift" I think inside Teller's thread about monitoring guard. Or I could be totally wrong. I posted a picture of an airport which Ed landed at for fuel on the way back to Hastings from 6Y9.

Lots of places like that. Most notable that I'm familiar with is Catalina Island.

I've already looked at several properties on Tangiers. I'm thinking a visit is in order prolly next year. Other than lack of surf the place looks good.

Tangier is very different than Catalina, or really any other island. Real Estate signs are a relatively new phenomena there--until recently all real estate was essentially passed to family members and sold privately from one islander to another. Only recently have outsiders begun purchasing property on the island.

I suspect part of the reason there aren't a lot of people from the outside buying property is that the island is very low and vulnerable to flooding. Its a neat place to visit, but its not very popular place for a vacation home.

Out of curiousity - how do you guys get to Tangier from the DC area? Do you get permission to enter R-4006 from the north? Go south, east, and then enter the restricted area to the north? I want to take a trip there but all of the restricted space around there is intimidating.

I come from the NE. I always call Pax River on 120.05 to find out if the restricted areas are cold. If they are, I go straight on through. If they're hot, I'll cross the bay just above Pax River and fly under R-4006.

When I fly in from the Richmond area, I will call Pax River (120.05) as soon as I cross US 17 (usually just north of Harcum VOR) and determine if 4006 and 6609 are cold. If they're hot, I'll fly direct to CRADD and then fly the CCV 010 radial up to Tangier (thats basically the VOR/DME Approach).

Back