Name Change Olympics

What was your motivation for posting that?

Do you have any data to that effect, or are you simply impromptu negative without data?

The two transgender pilots I know had no medical issues...
Remember; this is the guy that doesn't like bacon, or ANY meat. No wonder he has a negative attitude.

Ok, I admit. I used to be prejudiced against transgenders. But now that I know a couple of them, I am more understanding. "Lexi" is quite an interesting "woman", if you get to know "her".

Remember; this is the guy that doesn't like bacon, or ANY meat. No wonder he has a negative attitude.

Ok, I admit. I used to be prejudiced against transgenders. But now that I know a couple of them, I am more understanding. "Lexi" is quite an interesting "woman", if you get to know "her".

The mental health comment is likely a valid point from a medical perspective regarding transgender candidates, but not especially pertinent to the FAA in general. My wife works in the medical field where she is in charge of administering many of the hormone therapies sought out by those who wish to "transition". Part of the process for being prescribed those hormones as well as prior to any irreversible surgeries is the patient having an evaluation performed of their mental health in order to prevent a permanent alteration for a potentially temporary mental condition. However, I doubt that the FAA has any issues with regard to the medical of a transgender FAA airman if there was no "mental illness" diagnosed my a mental health professional, and wishing to transition isn't considered to be a mental illness in and of itself in modern medicine/psychology as far as I'm aware. I doubt the FAA folks in OKC or otherwise have any issue performing the request, but it may be non-standard and rare enough that it gets kicked around between departments until someone figures out how it was handled the last time. Working at the speed of government no doubt comes into play as well.

Last edited:
I am more understanding. "Lexi" is quite an interesting "woman", if you get to know "her".
you are? How does this sound? "JOhnH" claims he's a "pilot" but once you get to know "him" you might wonder...

perhaps you didn't intend that as dismissively as it came across.

you are? How does this sound? "JOhnH" claims he's a "pilot" but once you get to know "him" you might wonder...

perhaps you didn't intend that as dismissively as it came across.
Not that I understand your analogy, but no, I didn't. I meant that I realized the error of my thinking. Nothing more.

No, I didn't. I meant that I realized the error of my thinking. Nothing more.
It's good you've decided to change — keep working at it. Your next milestone might be leaving out the quotation marks around woman when you're writing about a trans person.

I recently found an old student-newspaper interview with me from when I was a young assistant professor 25 years ago. Some of the things I said still hold up OK, but some just made me cringe. We're all learning.

It's good you've decided to change — keep working at it. Your next milestone might be leaving out the quotation marks around woman when you're writing about a trans person.

I recently found an old student-newspaper interview with me from when I was a young assistant professor 25 years ago. Some of the things I said still hold up OK, but some just made me cringe. We're all learning.
You are probably right. I have been told that I often use quotation marks to bring attention to a word when I shouldn't. In this case I used them because otherwise people might not know that Lexi is TG.

I am trying to adapt to this new world. Perhaps I am not all the way there yet. And to be honest, I don't like all the changes that are going on. But this isn't the place to discuss that.

As far as flying goes, I don't give a crap if someone has a hangdang or a hoohah or used to have one but now has the other. All I care is that you fly better and safer than Jerry.

Ed,

That is such a low bar to pass. We need pilots to be safe, not dangerous.

Tim (could not resist the cheeky comment)

Well played, well played.

Tim (however, I am from/on the east coast)

The Name Change Olympics continue.

When i last wrote, the Fresno FSDO had (again) forwarded all my paperwork and documentation to the FAA to issue a new certificate with my new name and gender. When i still hadn't received my license by late September, i first contacted the FAA, who told me they didn't have the paperwork, but would research the issue. Later that day, i was informed they had the paperwork but didn't have my court order. A quick look at the FSDO email, which i'd been forwarded, showed that Fresno DID forward the court order in July. The FAA had just lost it, again.

After some back and forth between Fresno and the FAA, i was informed they had all the documents and that my license was in the pipeline. (Short hand for, wait a few more months.). So, while my new passport arrived just ONE month after submittance, my PPL will end up taking nine months.

Just another day in aviation paradise.

Flying is still magic to me, 50+ years after getting my license, so this drama will pass.

laura

When i last wrote, the Fresno FSDO had (again) forwarded all my paperwork and documentation to the FAA to issue a new certificate with my new name and gender. When i still hadn't received my license by late September, i first contacted the FAA, who told me they didn't have the paperwork, but would research the issue. Later that day, i was informed they had the paperwork but didn't have my court order. A quick look at the FSDO email, which i'd been forwarded, showed that Fresno DID forward the court order in July. The FAA had just lost it, again.

After some back and forth between Fresno and the FAA, i was informed they had all the documents and that my license was in the pipeline. (Short hand for, wait a few more months.). So, while my new passport arrived just ONE month after submittance, my PPL will end up taking nine months.

Flying is still magic to me, 50+ years after getting my license, so this drama will pass.

laura

Not having paperwork you sent…. I don’t know what it is about large bureaucracies that just cannot seem to keep their scheiss together. I sent an insurance company the general power of attorney for my mother several times over three years only to be repeatedly told they didn’t have it. Every time I had to do something on behalf of my mother I had to email the same document to the customer service agent all over again, even though each time I was told it would be put into her permanent record, and I had mailed them hard copies. It must have finally made it in because last time I didn’t need to do it again.

On the other hand a different insurance company had the PoA on record but required me to get a notarized affidavit that my mother had not since revoked it. Huh? If she had and I were knowingly misusing it, what would stop me from falsely signing that affidavit? Besides, I was making changes that benefited my mother, not me. Insanity!

Anyway for you it looks like the next big hurdle will be the USPS actually delivering something on time and to the right address, a very iffy thing these days. Good luck!

laura
Because drivers licenses and passports are legal identification (except in NY when I had just returned from London and needed to cash a check-no one, not even a bank would accept the passport) so those are handled promptly by the State Dept. But FAA certs are thru Dept of Tranportation not considered ID because there’s no photo. Plus, no one cares about us spam can pilots.

laura

Wow this thread should be titled Bureaucratic Red Tap Olympics. Hope you get things in order soon, surprised that your passport went smoothly I had heard the delays were into months as the State Dept tried to clear their backlog.

Back