NACOmatic: Website Suspended

rainsux

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
rainsux
NACOmatic: Website suspended

That's the message you will receive if you visit the site.
After 2.5 years, my web-hoster has determined that PDF
files are no longer allowable content. They gave me precisely
seven (count'm 7) minutes of notice.

I am searching for a new web hoster. I push 20+ TB/month of
traffic; so the usual suspects are unaffordable. i.e. Amazon's
service would cost me north of $2,000/month ... donations
average less than $20/month. I cannot afford to cover the gap
myself.

Get a static IP address and put em on your own server?

What's the best way to 'load-split' a site like this, such that several hosting volunteers could each serve up a slice of that monthly 20+ TB?

You can put the files on site that has no limit like http://libsyn.com or Amazon A3 and just link to them from your web site on a $6 a month host.

NACOmatic: Website suspended

That's the message you will receive if you visit the site.
After 2.5 years, my web-hoster has determined that PDF
files are no longer allowable content. They gave me precisely
seven (count'm 7) minutes of notice.

I am searching for a new web hoster. I push 20+ TB/month of
traffic; so the usual suspects are unaffordable. i.e. Amazon's
service would cost me north of $2,000/month ... donations
average less than $20/month. I cannot afford to cover the gap
myself.

That is an unbelievable amount of bandwidth. They lost a TON of money on you. While I've always appreciated your site, I can't say I blame them.

www.AirBrief.com is still thriving. We aren't free, but we are stable and do serve up our files from amazon's high speed servers. Doug is right - they're definitely expensive but worth it to our subscribers.

I've never used NACOmatic, but out of curiosity how big are the .PDF files? It sounds like you might be able to optimize them a little bit and make the file sizes smaller resulting in less bandwidth. But again, maybe you've already done that.

What's the best way to 'load-split' a site like this, such that several hosting volunteers could each serve up a slice of that monthly 20+ TB?

At 20+TB/month you are well beyond what volunteers can reasonably serve from their home machines, unless you can collect and coordinate a thousand volunteers with high bandwidth caps on their home connections. This is well into the range of professional hosting providers, and this does cost big $.

What are you serving that consumes that much bandwidth? Uncompressed videos of pop stars? 20+TB per month is a ginormous amount of data to be serving if you are just serving documents. Is there an abusive client of your site which is constantly downloading data and not doing any caching?

It looks like you are doing bulk distribution of NACO plates. If you really have that many users, one way to reduce your bandwidth bill is to use a p2p protocol -- send out your files via bittorrent instead of letting people download directly from your host. It will also be faster, making your users happier.

Chris

I've never used NACOmatic, but out of curiosity how big are the .PDF files? It sounds like you might be able to optimize them a little bit and make the file sizes smaller resulting in less bandwidth. But again, maybe you've already done that.
I've been working with the Naco plates for a while. I don't redistribute them like rainsux because of the bandwidth issues but the stats are like this.
There are 20,800 pdfs referenced.
Min: 12,007
Max: 1,443,585
Mean: 219,350
Total: 4,562 GB

Joe

Back