NACO chart holder

jnmeade

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Meade
Was flying with a friend yesterday and he had a useful NACO chart holder. It was a piece of plexiglas folded over to provide a snug fit for a NACO book. It was the same size as the chart book and the fold was at the top (or bottom). You can write on it with grease pencil.
He said he bought it from Sporty's, but I see nothing like it in the book or online except a knee board which is not what I want.
I've checked the web sites of the other usual suspects selling pilot supplies and see nothing like it.
Any tips, anyone?
I suppose I could make one if I had to.
Thanks.

jnmeade said:
Was flying with a friend yesterday and he had a useful NACO chart holder. It was a piece of plexiglas folded over to provide a snug fit for a NACO book. It was the same size as the chart book and the fold was at the top (or bottom). You can write on it with grease pencil.
He said he bought it from Sporty's, but I see nothing like it in the book or online except a knee board which is not what I want.
I've checked the web sites of the other usual suspects selling pilot supplies and see nothing like it.
Any tips, anyone?
I suppose I could make one if I had to.
Thanks.

I've seen them too (several years ago). Last I heard the company making them quit or went out of business although I could swear I saw them for sale somewhere within the last year or two. I've always wanted one myself. I suppose I could make one since I have a plastic bender at work.

lancefisher said:
I've seen them too (several years ago). Last I heard the company making them quit or went out of business although I could swear I saw them for sale somewhere within the last year or two. I've always wanted one myself. I suppose I could make one since I have a plastic bender at work.
If you make one, quote me a price. I don't have a plastic bender and would have to cobble up something with plywood and broomsticks (g).
I suppose it takes the right plastic to have just a bit of spring in it to allow inserting the book but be pretty rigid otherwise.

Take a look at item #5744A at Sportys. They call it See-Thru TPP Kneeboard, it sells for $34.95 (minus your AOPA discount).

jdwatson said:
Take a look at item #5744A at Sportys. They call it See-Thru TPP Kneeboard, it sells for $34.95 (minus your AOPA discount).

I don't want or need a leg strap. There's no room under my wheel for any kneeboards. The device I remember was nothing but a clear piece of plastic folded at the top of the chart.

lancefisher said:
I don't want or need a leg strap. There's no room under my wheel for any kneeboards. The device I remember was nothing but a clear piece of plastic folded at the top of the chart.
Concur

lancefisher said:
It looks like the strap doe snot take up any room under the plastic. I tmight be easy to remove. Does the device look similiar to what Jim is are describing? I ask because I am having a hard time visually the device.

From what I saw in Sporty's catalog, the knee board thingy doesn't look much like the one my friend has. The knee board looks like it loads from the side, the other loads from the bottom. The knee board looks curved on the bottom, the other looks simply like a big, wide, plexiglass hair pin (wide enough to hold the whole NACO book).

Well, I never said this was the device you wanted. I've also seen what you've describe at Sportys and AvShop.com but neither one has it anymore. At least that I could find. This was the closest thing.

Good luck.

jdwatson said:
Well, I never said this was the device you wanted. I've also seen what you've describe at Sportys and AvShop.com but neither one has it anymore. At least that I could find. This was the closest thing.

Good luck.

Yes and it might work as well if the strap could be removed.

Back