[NA]Yard mower mystery[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
What the heck is this screw?

It is on the back of the mower, behind the rear axle. The view is looking upwards. I see nothing in my manual about it.
Was sure it's a 'loose screw' but there is no way to get a screwdriver on it; not even enough room for a hex drive screwdriver tip. I put some pliers on the head to see if it was loose and it feels very tight.

Sears Craftsman 2015 22hp 48" Lawn Tractor
917-20391

IMG_6735.JPG

Don't touch it, the mower will come from together like a Jenga tower if you remove it.

Nothing shown on the parts diagram. Given the slightly askew installation angle, and minimal number of threads engaged, looks to be somebody's 'handiwork' vice that of a Craftsman. Might the hole be some sort of drain for the axle?

What fits into that cylinder that the screw is next to? Seat post?

kinda looks like the screw might hit a slot in whatever is in that cylinder to keep it from coming out?

My guess is that someone picked it (the screw) up off the ground while mowing and need a convenient place to put it.

Nothing shown on the parts diagram. Given the slightly askew installation angle, and minimal number of threads engaged, looks to be somebody's 'handiwork' vice that of a Craftsman. Might the hole be some sort of drain for the axle?
Appears that there is supposed to be something there because of the boss it is skrewt into. I would agree that it doesn't exactly look like an OEM fastener.

if it's on the axle, maybe some kind of diff fluid reservoir?

DON'T REMOVE IT, or you're screwed.

Obviously a used mover, as that fastener and installation doesn't look OEM. What the DPO was trying to fix, who knows?

It holds the thing to the thing.

--

From the looks of it, it might be just a few threads in. I don't think it's a setscrew. If it was being used to plug an oil or other reservoir I'd expect to see evidence of some kind of leak. Someone in a previous post probably got it right: somebody saw a screw on the driveway, figured it fell off somewhere, found a hole, and fit it in as well as he could.

It looks like a self-tapping thread. This is clearly an owner-added feature. I agree: don't take it out! It may all come from together....

-Skip

Yup, you're screwed if you remove it. A replacement for the original screw that fell out from exhaustion or something. Hey whatever works in a pinch. Does it run? Leave it then.

Like Jessica (as Daisy) says, "I really need to wash my undercarriage."

I disagree, take it out. It looks to be a sheet metal screw in a plastic housing. The housing is for the bearings for the pulley above. The hole in the housing was made during the molding and has no purpose. You can see similar holes to the right and lower left in the picture. Someone stuck it there for unknown reasons. My concern is that it may fall out and be throw at something or someone during mowing. Use vice grips to get it out.

The plastic looks to be a molded cover or housing for a shaft or bearing of some kind. Mebbe you're supposed to squirt a little lube in there occasionally, and the screw was an owner supplied part to keep crapola out.

More background based on comments; I bought this new in Jan 2016 (it was a discounted 2015 model) so no one else has monkeyed with it. I have only done a blade change, a spindle change, servicing. Never got under the back of it before.
I will try to take a video, that may help with the perspective and views.
The service guy comes out from time to time to change the carb etc (its got some kind of free lifetime warranty!) so I will ask him for sure if he comes. The screw is not going to hurt anyone, it would be unnoticed among the acres of rough, weedy, gravel and rock strewn outer yard which it is responsible for.

I hope you're not relying on the continued existence of Sears, to get parts etc. That company is going to go the way of Montgomery Ward, and it won't be long now.

You know, the strange thing is that they've known it for years but they're not trying to steer the ship away from the iceberg. I do what I can to support them, but they don't seem to be capable of saving themselves.

The one thing I'm going to miss is being able to take a ratchet I've abused, or screwdriver I've used as a concrete chisel, back for a replacement.

I said a year ago that Sears won't exist by Christmas 2018. I hope I'm wrong, but I just can't imagine them hanging on until then.

I said a year ago that Sears won't exist by Christmas 2018. I hope I'm wrong, but I just can't imagine them hanging on until then.

I just finished off a couple of older JC Penneys gift cards recently as I don't think they're going to be around much longer either.

I used to have a lot of Craftsman tools. I stopped buying them when Sears would have to order a replacement instead of pulling one off the display. I could not wait 2 weeks for a replacement.

A couple years ago I saw a Snap-On truck. I had a couple wore out screw drivers so I stopped to see if he could change the blades. He tried a few times to remove the blades, then tossed both screwdrivers into his broken tool box, grabbed a couple new screwdrivers and handed them to me. The old ones were at least 25 years old, and he replaced them just like that.

I used to have a lot of Craftsman tools. I stopped buying them when Sears would have to order a replacement instead of pulling one off the display. I could not wait 2 weeks for a replacement.

A couple years ago I saw a Snap-On truck. I had a couple wore out screw drivers so I stopped to see if he could change the blades. He tried a few times to remove the blades, then tossed both screwdrivers into his broken tool box, grabbed a couple new screwdrivers and handed them to me. The old ones were at least 25 years old, and he replaced them just like that.
My Snap-On guy used to say, "That's the most expensive screwdriver you'll ever buy. But you'll only pay for it once."

Lol, well for those that don't make a living with their tools, Craftsman made good stuff and at a price most could easily afford. Snap-On makes great stuff, too, but it's not exactly priced for the shade tree mechanic. Hell, you can usually buy 2-3 Craftsman tools for every Snap-On unit. That said, Craftsman's quality obviously went downhill once they resorted to a lot of low-cost country suppliers.

I just finished off a couple of older JC Penneys gift cards recently as I don't think they're going to be around much longer either.

I know they're struggling, but at least they're trying. They replaced their CEO a few years ago. The new one said it was crazy for them to have sales every week, and so they lowered their prices on everything - every day. It was a bust. Sales plummeted and the CEO was fired. The newer new guy raised their prices and brought back their weekly sales. It worked. Apparently there are a lot of people who LIKE finding things on sale even though they're really not saving anything.

I don't know about other stores, but ours is always busy.

I read something several months ago about JCP hitting their heyday 20-30 years ago. They broke ground on a new HQ site, for no reason other than they had more cash than they knew how to spend. Last year they sold it just to keep the lights on.

I'm not a big shopper, but I want JCP and Sears to be there...I don't know...just in case I ever want something they sell. Yeah, I like Amazon, but I don't want them to be the only game in town.

I hope you're not relying on the continued existence of Sears, to get parts etc. That company is going to go the way of Montgomery Ward, and it won't be long now.

MTD will probably buy the Craftsman-branded lawn equipment line anyway, and continue to sell/produce parts for it. It's not like there's a TON of Craftsman-specific parts that need to be replaced. Transaxles, wheels, spindles, bearings, belts, engines, cables, etc. are all made by non-Craftsman suppliers in most cases. Unless you need a new mower deck or a body panel, the rest is easily replaceable.

Lol, well for those that don't make a living with their tools, Craftsman made good stuff and at a price most could easily afford. Snap-On makes great stuff, too, but it's not exactly priced for the shade tree mechanic. Hell, you can usually buy 2-3 Craftsman tools for every Snap-On unit. That said, Craftsman's quality obviously went downhill once they resorted to a lot of low-cost country suppliers.

I collected most of my Craftsman tools during mid-80's to the mid-90's, and the quality was still pretty good at that time period. What I don't know is where I would go to buy new stuff now, Craftsman is junk and Snap On is expensive. What's a decent tool that one can buy now that approximates the old Craftsman in quality?

My Snap-On guy used to say, "That's the most expensive screwdriver you'll ever buy. But you'll only pay for it once."

I always wondered what people did to mess their tools up. My newest screwdriver has to be 25 years old. I was joking about using them as chisels. I never felt like I babied my stuff, but I certainly don't abuse them. In college I had a roommate who was a mechanic. He gave me the old Snap-on demo where a rounded bolt head couldn't be turned by a Craftsman socket, but the Snap-on did the trick. But that was 30 years ago and I haven't seen that problem in years. Maybe it's because even our cheap stuff is made to tighter tolerances.

I'm not trying to sell anyone on Craftsman, but it's always worked for me.

With that said, there is a lot of Craftsman branded stuff I'd never buy, but their hand tools seem alright.

I collected most of my Craftsman tools during mid-80's to the mid-90's, and the quality was still pretty good at that time period. What I don't know is where I would go to buy new stuff now, Craftsman is junk and Snap On is expensive. What's a decent tool that one can buy now that approximates the old Craftsman in quality?

You and me both.

But I'm curious, if you're talking about hand tools (and not power tools). What is it you're doing with a hammer, screwdriver, etc. that a cheap brand isn't holding up? And I'm not asking as a jerk, but as a serious question, because I hear that a lot.

I have more tools than the average joe (but probably 1/3 as many as most people on this forum). If someone in my neighborhood needs to borrow something they don't have I'm their first stop. I don't have anything expensive, but everything is in good shape, and except for my cordless stuff everything is pretty old. I'd think as long as it's not being abused, most tools are going to hold up over time.

But I'm curious, if you're talking about hand tools (and not power tools). What is it you're doing with a hammer, screwdriver, etc. that a cheap brand isn't holding up? And I'm not asking as a jerk, but as a serious question, because I hear that a lot.

Actually, my old Craftsman stuff is solid, it never wears out or breaks. But, even though I now have a good collection, sometimes I need a new piece that I don't have to get a job done. Used to be driving over to Sears was a good bet, but most of that stuff now is junk. I was just wondering where to get decent quality new stuff that isn't Snap-On expensive.

You and me both.

I have more tools than the average joe (but probably 1/3 as many as most people on this forum). If someone in my neighborhood needs to borrow something they don't have I'm their first stop. I don't have anything expensive, but everything is in good shape, and except for my cordless stuff everything is pretty old. I'd think as long as it's not being abused, most tools are going to hold up over time.

I've got many Craftsman hand tools form the early 1980's. I got a few from a recently as 2 years ago. I've broken a couple of ratchets by using pipe as a "torque amplifier". Is that tool abuse? Sure. Did I eventually get the job done? You bet! I've also had some sockets crack. At least one was clearly off center in how it was cast.

I bought my younger son a set of Pittsburg hand tools from Harbor Freight when he first moved out. He had a bike to maintain but I knew he wasn't exactly detail oriented so I didn't spring for expensive (or even mid-range) tools. Good thing. Many are now missing. I've split cheap sockets just working on old cars and electrical equipment. I've driven the shank through screw driver handles a few times. (Cheap ones. Not good ones.) My older son has a set of Snap On 1/2" drive sockets and ratchet that were my grand father's from the 1940's. My dad used them for years. They are precise and tough. I shudder to think what a new set would cost.

John

Nah, there are tons of non oem parts for these mowers.

Actually, my old Craftsman stuff is solid, it never wears out or breaks. But, even though I now have a good collection, sometimes I need a new piece that I don't have to get a job done. Used to be driving over to Sears was a good bet, but most of that stuff now is junk. I was just wondering where to get decent quality new stuff that isn't Snap-On expensive.

I've been reasonably happy with Kobalt stuff from Lowes. It seem OK although I haven't used it as much as my Craftsman stuff.

Well, I won't go as far as to say ALL Craftsman is junk. I actually like a lot of their "Craftsman Professional" line of tools, which seems to be built a little better. The majority of my ratchets/sockets are Craftsman, and I have no complaints there, as I've never broken a socket. My father has a bunch of Craftsman stuff, including a decent size 3-pc rolling tool chest. The Craftsman tools he has which I dislike the most are his screwdrivers, and that's only because the hard-molded plastic handles tear up your hands if you really have to crank on something. I much prefer my Kobalt screwdriver set.

Some people are brand-loyal to the end. I buy whichever brand has the tool when I need it, and with the best function/feel. I've never had to use a warranty on any of my tools, and rarely had a tool fail. I can honestly only think of two failures: a Dremmel (was using it for extended duration, melted the motor), and a Craftsman Professional 1/2" corded-drill, which I was drilling holes in railroad ties with and burned it up (again, a bit beyond it's design).

I have brands like Rigid, DeWalt, Milwaukee, Craftsman, Black&Decker Firestorm, Kobalt, Harbor Freight, Hitachi, Stanley, Et al. in my shop, and they all do their job well. If you need the security of Snap-On or Mac Tools because you like them, or make your livelihood with them, power to you. I don't use them except on weekends for general R&M and house projects, so I go with what's of moderate quality and available locally at the big box stores.

One thing about expensive sockets: you are much more careful about not losing them.

Sears (SHLD) has been a real estate play rather than retail stock for years. Now that malls are going broke hand over fist, the final curtain can't be far off.

Regarding the bolt on the transmission, if this picture is any indication, it kind of looks like a hex-head (or square-head) bolt partially-threaded into the housing, almost like a set screw. I'm not sure about it though as I didn't notice much of anything in parts diagrams. You could always pull it out and see if the boss is open or closed by sticking a piece of wire down in it.

CraftsmanTrans.png

Buy a Toro; the brand Arnie recommended. Then you can putt around your back yard all you want. Don't mow down the pin.

One thing about expensive sockets: you are much more careful about not losing them.

True if you're the one who bought them. Not so much if you loan them out. This is why I only loan tools to people that can afford to replace them and will do so without me asking.

Back