[NA]Yaesu handheld capabilities[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Family member is ambulance rider (EMT). Nice to hear where they go, progress updates which are broadcast on the local EMS radio frequency.
Is there any way a Yaesu HH can pick up these frequencies?

Different frequency ranges. Pick up a scanner, or maybe one of those crazy-cheap BaoFeng handhelds (Amazon). They have dual-band units down as low as $20ish (BaoFeng-UV-5R).

Yep, I've set up a ton of those BaoFeng UV5 variants. It's amazing how well they work for dirt cheap stuff.

Actually, depending on the frequency your local fire department is on and which of the Yaesu/Vertex Standard radios you have, it might be doable. I believe one of the Yaesu's now has the VHF band in them (earlier ones like mine have the 2M ham band).

These days more and more departments are going to more sophisticated communications systems (trunked) rather than a simplex or simple repeater set up. You can buy nice scanners that do all that for you but trying to repurpose an airband or even something like the BaoFeng isn't going to work well.

most pd,s fire,ems, now use digital encrypted equipment.out in the boonies not 100 percent.

most pd,s fire,ems, now use digital encrypted equipment.out in the boonies not 100 percent.
Actually, while digital is in common use in the urban areas, encryption is far from common. NY, LA, Chicago all transmit in the clear.

Family member is ambulance rider (EMT). Nice to hear where they go, progress updates which are broadcast on the local EMS radio frequency.
Is there any way a Yaesu HH can pick up these frequencies?
I have one. Give me a frequency and I'll try it.

Baofeng do work surprisingly well for receive, but many of them transmit spurious carriers making them not meet FCC regs. The UV-5R that I have does not meet FCC requirements on VHF (spurs are only about 35 dB down), but is fine on UHF.

If the rescue squad for the area goes APCO 25, then you will need a scanner designed for it, or use the appropriate software packages, your computer, and 2 radios (or SDR dongles) to receive.

If that's the FTA-550, it will not recieve the EMS frequencies. It's pretty much limited to the aviation bands and the NOAA VHF freqs

thats pretty cool. Looks like it is 154.10000 that I want.

154.100 if it's analog, any $5 used rat shack scanner from a garage sale that has direct keypad frequency entry will do that. I suspect with how rural you are, it's still analog dispatch there.

If digital, you'll need different gear to receive it.

Back