[NA] XL tires

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
Say your friend is getting a new truck that has XL tires (extra load), and he already has same tire size on his present car, but they are not XL... is it possible to swap his non-XL tires to the new one and not cause any issues? safety or warranty wise?

needless to mention, asking for a friend

It would probably be okay if he isn't carrying heavy loads or towing. But... why?

That's like taking the 200 MPH rated tires off a new Corvette and putting 100 MPH tires on it. LOL!

That's like taking the 200 MPH rated tires off a new Corvette and putting 100 MPH tires on it. LOL!

From what I can tell, the XL has a thicker side wall, I am yet to check the load rating though

What are the two tire types? Make and model, size. What do they go on? I know a guy.

What are the two tire types? Make and model, size. What do they go on? I know a guy.

Source vehicle is a SUV, similar weight to the destination vehicle. No towing involved, not at least in winter.

Winter tire- Bridgestone blizzak,
The one on the new one I think is eagle .
Both same size, just the new OEM is XL
Size - 285/45R22

Source vehicle is a SUV, similar weight to the destination vehicle. No towing involved, not at least in winter.

Winter tire- Bridgestone blizzak,
The one on the new one I think is eagle .
Both same size, just the new OEM is XL
Size - 285/45R22

What is the actual load rating for each tire? There should be a number in the 80-100 something range on the sidewall.

First off, you said new truck, and then car. Two different tires intended for different performance. That said, the smaller the tire's volume, the higher the air pressure must be to adequately support the heavier load. Hence, the XL rating. Sounds like your "buddy" (wink, wink) bought a fancy urban mall-crawler powder puff rig with some bling-bling 22s on it, and if he thumps a speed bump or a pothole too hard he's gonna dent up his rims. Tell your "buddy" (wink, wink, wink) to get a real truck that rolls on tires that have functional sidewalls vs one that's made to pound pavement at 85 mph and then he can put some big ol' Super Swampers on it, run 'em at 16 lbs, and not have to worry about getting stuck at the Starbuck's drive-through.

The real question comes down to the load rating for what you're going to do with it. Tires have weight and speed ratings. Don't exceed those and you'll be fine. Don't see any issues otherwise.

Sometimes tires have different ratings depending on pressure. For example, on my Ram it has Load E tires and provides two different load ratings, one for 30 psi and one for 80 psi. I run it in the mid to upper 70s since that works better for longevity of the tires as well as better economy. But yesterday I got stuck (it's really muddy out) and had to let them all down to 30 psi to get out. That takes a while, both to let them out and to fill them back up.

I have the load rating for the winter tires, do not have the rating from the OEM tires that the truck is coming with. Waiting for that ....

Back