[NA]Windows reminders[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Does WindowsXP have, or is there another program out there that would provide pop-up 'calendar reminders'?

Eg on May 2nd 2009, I would like a window to pop up in front of me, reminding me to "Call Chuck" or some such.

Does WindowsXP have, or is there another program out there that would provide pop-up 'calendar reminders'?

Eg on May 2nd 2009, I would like a window to pop up in front of me, reminding me to "Call Chuck" or some such.
Outlook has that feature. I am not aware of any Windows XP feature that does that.

You can use a Google Calendar - got to www.Google.com/ig and log in (you can create an account gratis), and add a calendar to the page. You can create events, and it will "pop up" to remind you of stuff, and you can make it send you SMS messages (cell phone) and emails, as well.

Doesn't the calendar function in the Windows email program Outlook do that?

Outlook does, but there are lots of people who do not have Outlook (many have Outlook Express, which lacks the calendar).

No everyone wants the bloated, costly and poorly-written crapware thatis Microsoft Office.

Can the task scheduler in Windows XP be used? For example schedule notepad to run at a given time that opens a text file with the reminder.

I use Google Calendar. It syncs with my Google phone so I get pop-up reminders on both at the specified times.

The other nice thing about Google Calendar is I can give access to my flight students where they may track my available schedule.

I use Google Calendar. It syncs with my Google phone so I get pop-up reminders on both at the specified times.

The other nice thing about Google Calendar is I can give access to my flight students where they may track my available schedule.

And if you have a Windows Mobile phone, or a Mac with Calendar and a iPhone you can use Plaxo. Plaxo doesn't seem to have a Windows reminder component, but neither does Google Calendar. Plaxo will sync, Google, Yahoo, Outlook, Apple Calendar, and mobile devices.

And if you have a Windows Mobile phone, or a Mac with Calendar and a iPhone you can use Plaxo.
I spent the afternoon setting up Plaxo on three computers. I've been trying to find a way to sync the Outlook calendars and contacts for a long time and Plaxo seems to work great... that is after one false start where there must've been a hiccup in the program. Now if it would only sync with my iPhone. However that is not too much of a problem since I sync the iPhone with one of the laptops regularly.

I Now if it would only sync with my iPhone. However that is not too much of a problem since I sync the iPhone with one of the laptops regularly.

Try www.nuevasync.com, you won't be disappointed. It's free.

Edit: I guess it only supports contacts with Plaxo :redface: I use it to sync my Google calendar and contacts with my iPhone.

Last edited:
OK thanks! I will keep that in mind. First I want to see how reliable Plaxo sync is going to be.

The great thing about Plaxo is that it takes all of your contacts, and repeatedly sends them spam about updating your contact database.

Oh, wait, that's not a great thing, is it?

And if you have a Windows Mobile phone, or a Mac with Calendar and a iPhone you can use Plaxo. Plaxo doesn't seem to have a Windows reminder component, but neither does Google Calendar. Plaxo will sync, Google, Yahoo, Outlook, Apple Calendar, and mobile devices.

Um... If you have a Mac and an iPhone, you just use iCal on the Mac and the Calendar app on the phone, which will both pop up a reminder window (even if you don't have them running at the time), both are free, both are already installed, and both will sync to each other automatically.

Doesn't get much easier than that. :no:

Um... If you have a Mac and an iPhone, you just use iCal on the Mac and the Calendar app on the phone, which will both pop up a reminder window (even if you don't have them running at the time), both are free, both are already installed, and both will sync to each other automatically.

Objection, relevance.

Objection, relevance.

Your honor, the witness (mikea) brought up the use of Plaxo if you have a Mac and an iPhone, which is unnecessary.

("I'll allow it. Objection overruled.")

Hey, this lawyer stuff is kinda fun... :D

If an application is free and didn't come with the device, there is some other cost factor. Usually, it's in the ultimate form of headaches it causes the user and everyone the user contacts. The headaches are caused by spam, of course.

In Google Calendar, there is no advertising nor is there on the Gmail page. Try doing that with your Time Warner or Charter Cable email page?

The great thing about Plaxo is that it takes all of your contacts, and repeatedly sends them spam about updating your contact database.

Which is exactly, precisely, why I dislike Plaxo.

No it sends YOU a message that you might know Joe Blow and sends him a message that he may know you. AFAIK, nobody can see your contacts or info unless you give permission.

They're turning Plaxo a social networking site.

It's a pain but the sync works better than any other I've tried, and it is free.

BTW, they have plug-ins for programs like iCal to stay in sync automagically.

It's nice that in if all else fails you can go tot web and get your contact info.

No it sends YOU a message that you might know Joe Blow and sends him a message that he may know you. AFAIK, nobody can see your contacts or info unless you give permission.

Well, actually, no.

I was regularly receiving emails which purported to be from someone I knew, but which were actually from Plaxo, in which Plaxo asked that I confirm my information and (in the process) tried to recruit me into providing additional personal information to Plaxo. I read their user agreement, and they consider any information provided to them to be theirs to use in accordance with the provisions of their terms, as they might be amended.

When I called the Plaxo guy, he could not understand why anyone would object to Plaxo data-harvesting in this way. I mentioned to him that I did not want to be added to their sellable database of names, and he assured me that "We'd never do that..."

...which is fine unless you remember that all promises made are readily broken in bankruptcy with the stroke of the judge's pen, and any valuable asset (like, say, a fully-validated list of people, companies, phone and email addys) will be sold to the highest bidder. Egghead.com had no intention of selling its customer database, but when they went baky, the lists were sold and used.

Interesting. I had never previously received any emails from Plaxo, in fact I had never heard of it until yesterday. Earthlink must have a stronger spam filter than most because it had intercepted my account activation message as spam before it even got to my inbox so maybe I have been getting messages but didn't know it. After activating my account I can see that at least 10 or so of my contacts are also Plaxo members. Although it's only been less than a day, I haven't gotten any spam from Plaxo on the behalf of any of these contacts.

So here's my question. If I have sent you an e-mail before you are probably on my contact list. This includes a number of people from POA. Has anyone gotten any spam in the past day or so mentioning me?

Plaxo may have changed their business model, because I have not received any of these lately.

It was sure obnoxious while it went on, though, and it was deceptive in the way it worked. The email told you that "(name of person you know) asked that you update your contact information..."; when asked, the person told me that that they had simply loaded Plaxo, did not "ask" it to do anything.

......which is fine unless you remember that all promises made are readily broken in bankruptcy with the stroke of the judge's pen, and any valuable asset (like, say, a fully-validated list of people, companies, phone and email addys) will be sold to the highest bidder. Egghead.com had no intention of selling its customer database, but when they went baky, the lists were sold and used.

All of the user agreements and privacy policy say, "We can change this policy at any time." and sometimes they might even notify you.

I wonder if Plaxo will delete your info on request.

It just occurred to me that it would be very dangerous if you had such as passwords in the contact notes.

I think the "email your friends to inform them" is an option you can tick off, and I did. I'm sure that most don't do that.

What's really, really bad is a company like mine that forbids letting any company data go outside. I've already gotten indications that other employees have put their Outlook contacts up there - which technically shouldn't even work from the company LAN. I pruned company contacts from my personal contact list religiously.

Last edited:

Oh yeah. 1st I meant iCal and not Calendar.

I use iCal, Address Book, Thunderbird and Yahoo mail. Tell me how a Mac will sync the Address Book with Thunderbird without Plaxo.

I also get web access with Plaxo.

As I posted I have been going nuts forever having duplicate and missing entries in various placves. Plaxo finally got them in sync.

Now, if I could only crack the address book on my Panasonic POTS phones (there is a PC utility for those.)

I use iCal, Address Book, Thunderbird and Yahoo mail. Tell me how a Mac will sync the Address Book with Thunderbird without Plaxo.

Well, I use the built-in Mail app, which doesn't need any sort of "sync." See, the contacts, calendar, etc. are built in system components, not part of any application, so any application can access them, with no "sync" necessary.

As far as getting Thunderbird to do that - Well, I don't know why they don't, but I'm sure someone has come up with a way to do it that doesn't go through an external web site. Try searching http://www.versiontracker.com/ (they have a pretty comprehensive database of Mac software, it's the first place I look when I need a program to do something.)

Well, actually, no.

I was regularly receiving emails which purported to be from someone I knew, but which were actually from Plaxo, in which Plaxo asked that I confirm my information and (in the process) tried to recruit me into providing additional personal information to Plaxo. I read their user agreement, and they consider any information provided to them to be theirs to use in accordance with the provisions of their terms, as they might be amended.

When I called the Plaxo guy, he could not understand why anyone would object to Plaxo data-harvesting in this way. I mentioned to him that I did not want to be added to their sellable database of names, and he assured me that "We'd never do that..."

...which is fine unless you remember that all promises made are readily broken in bankruptcy with the stroke of the judge's pen, and any valuable asset (like, say, a fully-validated list of people, companies, phone and email addys) will be sold to the highest bidder. Egghead.com had no intention of selling its customer database, but when they went baky, the lists were sold and used.

Overzealous marketing hires.

Amazon was guilty of spamming in one instance in the early days when it was a sin punishable by the death penalty. Some youngsters got the bright idea of harvesting Usenet for email addresses and then when being called on it claiming the messages were legit because there was business relationship - You know. How could you NOT have bought something from Amazon?

They spamed my buddy who pretty much invented the independent ISP business so he blacklisted Amazon. :nono: They lied to his face and then tried to contact the customers to campaign against him. In the end he won an apology.

Somehow Amazon survived.

Back