NA Wife was on the radio this morning

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Wife's barbershop quartet was on 850 KOA this morning...

http://www.850koa.com/pages/mikerosen.html?article=9224127 -- The 11:00 hour MP3 file, about 21 minutes in.

They were a little nervous so they sound a touch tentative, but not bad! Yay Deja Vu Quartet!

They're also Semi-Finalists in the 2011 Sing! competition...

http://aspengrove.2011sing.com/sing-contest/1 - Video

Sorry, blatant plugs for my sweetie... I know...

I wish I could sing. Watched the video, good job!

On KOA, my old favorite talk radio station!

Nice!

Very cool. I spent a couple of years with a Barber Shop chorus here in the Atlanta area and really enjoyed it.

It's even more impressive to an RF geek to go inside....

You gotta meet up with Paul WA2YZT and get a tour of the new DTV transmitter building on Lookout Mountain sometime if you liked KOA... he's great about inviting hams up when he has a few minutes of time. He's the transmitter supervisor for KCNC-TV.

"Hardline" made out of giant copper pipes 8" or more in diameter... a combiner made of the same stuff for the two transmitters... an all solid-state Harris transmitter with little modular amplifiers that slide out of the shelves, each adds 1000W to the output... giant control servos where they can switch out the combiner and/or either transmitter if needed, complete with lockouts to keep things from blowing up... literally... big huge underground conduit to run the "feed line" pipes down the mountain to the tower.

That's one heck of a transmitter building the TV stations went together to build up there.

While they were working on the cut-over he had a "backup" transmitter that was lower power that was a liquid-cooled tube-type. Holy bejeebus, it was a single final tube. I think they were pushing 50 KW at the time? (I forget.)

Great geek toys, broadcast transmitters.

You gotta meet up with Paul WA2YZT and get a tour of the new DTV transmitter building on Lookout Mountain sometime if you liked KOA... he's great about inviting hams up when he has a few minutes of time. He's the transmitter supervisor for KCNC.

While they were working on the cut-over he had a "backup" transmitter that was lower power that was a liquid-cooled tube-type. Holy bejeebus, it was a single final tube. I think they were pushing 50 KW at the time? (I forget.)

Great geek toys, broadcast transmitters.

50KW of transmitter, or 50 ERP? 50 ERP is easy with a single tube. Hopefully the dtv stuff has eliminated some of the NIER issues up there.

There are several impressive sites around - the Shoreview (Minneapolis) FM site is also something. 8 or 9 high power FMs combined into a multi bay antenna. Each combined module was larger than some of the transmitters.

Nothing, but nothing, is as impressive as the WLW 500 KW transmitter. The site is next to the former Bethany, Ohio VOA site (now a park and shopping center). The carcass of the transmitter is still there. Search on the web for WLW transmitter photos. It's far more impressive in person.

Back