[na]Which batteries to use[na]

JOhnH

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
I'm mainly thinking AA and AAA batteries, and mainly for small electronics like headsets, TV remotes, remote thermostat sensors, that kind of thing.

There are alkaline, lithium, Duracell has some they call "Optimum" which are quite expensive.
There are various brands; Duracell, Energizer, RayOvac, Panasonic, etc. Sams has their own "members Mark" brand.Are any of them really better or worse than others.

Prices can vary from $0.21 to $1.50 or more. Am I wasting money buying the more expensive ones? Most of my uses don't draw a ton of power, but it is annoying when they wear out quickly so I care more about longevity.

For stuff like that I bought rechargeable batteries. I leave some AAs and AAAs plugged in, and always have 4 of either ready to be used.

I buy the cheap ones, but beware some of them leak and corrode stuff after a while. I posted a thread here about Costco batteries not long ago.

For everyday devices, low self-discharge nickel metal hydride rechargeable Eneloop, which will save you money in the long run and unlike alkaline batteries won't leak. For emergency equipment, Energizer Ultimate (lithium).

We buy batteries by the case load for use in wireless mics in the entertainment industry and yes, there is a difference...depending on what you application is.

Biggest concern for me is power curve. Our devices need the top 10% of voltage for the longest duration and Duracell hold that power curve longer before voltage start to drop. While other batteries may "last longer" their power curve is more linear and falls off quicker.

For the average consumer product does not really matter but of you have a high draw device there is a quality spectrum where you get what you pay for.

This isn’t that hard to research.
I should have mentioned, I don't really like rechargables. Maybe that an outdated idea, but in my past, rechargables sucked compared to disposables.
I always keep a couple in my flight bag for when the headset dies at the wrong time. I like to be able to forget about my low-drain items, like clocks and such for years at a time without replacing batteries.

I should have mentioned, I don't really like rechargables. Maybe that an outdated idea, but in my past, rechargables sucked compared to disposables.
I always keep a couple in my flight bag for when the headset dies at the wrong time. I like to be able to forget about my low-drain items, like clocks and such for years at a time without replacing batteries.

Well now you got me thinking. My experience with rechargeables was the same as yours, but that was more than 20 years ago. Most of our high end rechargeable battery power devices such as smart phones and laptops have pretty good rechargeable batteries. So I have to believe there are some good standard size rechargeable batteries out there today.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm talking about. I am no expert in the subject.

Yeah, that's pretty much an outdated idea. Rechargables, especially Eneloop and their ilk, have gotten a lot better.

Yeah, that's pretty much an outdated idea. Rechargables, especially Eneloop and their ilk, have gotten a lot better.
Thanks. I'll reconsider rechargables.

Unless incompatible, I put NiMH rechargeable batteries in most everything. (NiMH batteries are slightly lower voltage than fresh alkalines.) I keep a small stock charged and ready to go (AA and AAA). I even use them in my aviation headsets (with one set of alkalines as a backup.) For items that need to operate in cold weather (e.g. rain gauges and outdoor temperature sensors) they get lithium batteries, which have better low temp performance and lifetimes. NiMH batteries will now hold at least 80% of their full charge for months. I go through mine quicker than that. The main downside of NiMH is that they hold their voltage pretty well as they discharge, then they suddenly collapse. Alkalines kind of dribble away and warn you when they start to get weak. But alkalines have longer shelf life if not discharged, or until the zinc can gives way to corrosion and they leak electrolyte.

Back