[NA] Where am I?

Brian Austin

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Austin
A little twist on the 'where am I?' questions.

Temps are 75-80 at 1:00pm. It's raining and windy. Very, very green all around me. Lots of taller pines.

I've been on vacation since Wednesday and could be just about anywhere in the country by now.

Where am I?

I believe I see a smidgeon of the rare Pylothricus adamaceous fungus on the extreme nw (nw - deduced by cloud/cloud shadows compared to this date's solar zenith charts) of one of those pine trees... which btw are actually Pinus norvegicus var smith. So based on the known biology of these, you must be in the extreme nw corner of Co at an altitude of 4800-6300'......

This game is getting a bit tough! How about, "Not Phoenix"?

Let'sgoflying! said:
This game is getting a bit tough! How about, "Not Phoenix"?
How about "in a car"?

-This absolutely correct yet totally useless information provided by the Microsoft Technical Support Staff... <j/k>

-Skip

LOL..ok, not in a Phoenix. And, technically, I'm actually in a truck. Those that drive cars don't know the difference. Those who drive trucks on the other hand...

Dave, interesting deductions based on shadows that aren't there. Complete and total overcast at that time.

Elevation is 7,100 ft, however. Reasonably close on that one.

Cool. Clouds. Water. Green. Hmmmm....
Not COS that's for sure.

Brian Austin said:
I've been on vacation since Wednesday and could be just about anywhere in the country by now.
Where am I?

3-4 days of traveling, could be anywhere... Ummm..... :confused:

You're lost and trying to find your way home so you posted a couple pictures on the board hoping someone would recognize the place and could tell you where you are? :D

fgcason said:
You're lost and trying to find your way home so you posted a couple pictures on the board hoping someone would recognize the place and could tell you where you are? :D
I had a friend invite me up to his cottage on a lake when I lived in Grand Rapids, Michigan. There are a LOT of lakes in northern MI for those unfamiliar. He gave me directions that were rather suspect. I called him when I finally realized I wasn't following what he said.

"So you're lost, huh?" he snickered.

My reply: "No, I'm not lost. I know where I am. I just don't know where YOU are." :D

I rarely, if ever, get lost. Even deep in the woods, off trails, I've never had an issue. But I've also never panicked when I realized I might be off course. Hunker down, think it out and correct.

Brian Austin said:
I rarely, if ever, get lost. Even deep in the woods, off trails, I've never had an issue. But I've also never panicked when I realized I might be off course. Hunker down, think it out and correct.

It sounds like you and I have the same navigation skills. I'll go exploring off trail while backpacking into places probably no one has ever been before and consistently come out roughly where I want even if it's from a completely different direction than I went in. It's like I have an INS in my head sometimes.

I was at the hiking store one day and some girl was looking at the electronic stuff getting tormented by some guy that was there (don't know the situation, together, arrogant idiot, something) but at some point she picked up a GPS and handed it to him and told him "get lost." Total silence.

woodstock said:
Colorado?
Don't think he's here. The weather is sunny and warm in Colorado today. That picture was taken today, wasn't it?

I'm guessing somewhere near Flagstaff on I-40. He's on a divided highway in the one picture.

Everskyward said:
Don't think he's here. The weather is sunny and warm in Colorado today. That picture was taken today, wasn't it?

I'm guessing somewhere near Flagstaff on I-40. He's on a divided highway in the one picture.
Actually, it was taken on Friday.

But you're close. I'm only two hours northeast of Phoenix, on the Mogollon Rim near Forest Lakes.

I thought it would be interesting to show folks how "hot" our summers get here in AZ. It depends on altitude! I should have brought pants instead of just my shorts!

And the highway is AZ 260, which is being converted to divided from two lane in several areas.

Brian Austin said:
Actually, it was taken on Friday.

But you're close. I'm only two hours northeast of Phoenix, on the Mogollon Rim near Forest Lakes.

I thought it would be interesting to show folks how "hot" our summers get here in AZ. It depends on altitude! I should have brought pants instead of just my shorts!

And the highway is AZ 260, which is being converted to divided from two lane in several areas.

Supprizing how much it looks like Eastern Wa.

NC19143 said:
Supprizing how much it looks like Eastern Wa.
And northern Michigan. If I had been knocked out and woke up there, I'd have sworn I was up in the Upper Peninsula somewhere.

AZ has so many different climates, I had to carry three seasons of clothes when traveling for work at my previous job. Yuma on one day (hot and humid), Show Low the next (cool, wet sometimes), Superior the day after that (hot and dry). No wonder I've got 176,000 miles on the truck...and it just passed its sixth birthday. :D

Skip Miller said:
How about "in a car"?

-This absolutely correct yet totally useless information provided by the Microsoft Technical Support Staff...

Aren't you at least gonna post the joke?

flyingcheesehead said:
Aren't you at least gonna post the joke?
I think everyone has heard it by now. In case I am wrong, please go ahead and post it.

-Skip

Brian Austin said:
LOL..ok, not in a Phoenix. And, technically, I'm actually in a truck. Those that drive cars don't know the difference. Those who drive trucks on the other hand...

...know that anything that says Dodge, Chevy, or Ford (since '99 anyway) is NOT a truck. ;) ;) ;)

*Crocodile Dundee voice* "That? That's not a truck...

thatsatruck.jpg

...THAT's a truck!"

One of my favorite TV commercials ever (Miller) showed an SUV parked in a driveway and had that guy that used to do their voiceovers saying "Automatic transmission... Leather seats... These days, people call this a truck. But a real man knows a station wagon when he sees one. The only way this CAR will ever see any off-road action is if it backs over a flower bed."

The best commercial in that series was the one with the guy in the grocery store and the same guy doing the voiceover: "Jello salad... Pasta salad... Potato salad... Otherwise, NO SALAD!"

Brian Austin said:
A little twist on the 'where am I?' questions.

Temps are 75-80 at 1:00pm. It's raining and windy. Very, very green all around me. Lots of taller pines.

Where am I?

Lost in the forest and hearing banjo music. Runnnnnn!!!!!!!

Since I don't see 72,432 Harley Davidsons on the ground and another 1,256,387 on trailers in your pictures, you are not in the same area as I was this weekend. In the first week of August, all roads lead to Sturgis...and all the locals are on those roads heading OUT of town! Good grief, what a mess!!!

Skip Miller said:
I think everyone has heard it by now. In case I am wrong, please go ahead and post it.

How about this...

Does anyone NOT know what joke we are referring to? It's an oldie but a goodie, but if everyone's heard it I'm not gonna do all that typing...

Thanks Brian because I didn't have a clue what the joke was. But I'm not a computer geek and I was feeling left out. :p

Everskyward said:
Thanks Brian because I didn't have a clue what the joke was. But I'm not a computer geek and I was feeling left out. :p
I didn't want to type it in either, but I found this version on the net. -Skip

"A small commuter airplane is approaching Seattle. Fog envelopes the plane,
and the pilot becomes disoriented. Obviously confused, he struggles to
regain course without success. He decides to lose some altitude, and there
in the fog appears a large building! Pilot decides to circle around the
building to give himself time to form a new plan, when he sees a man in the
building through an office window. Opens the cockpit window and hollers to
the man. "Can you tell me where I am?" Man replies, "You're in an
airplane." Pilot flies off, and minutes later is safely on the ground. He
explains to the co-pilot, "The answer was at the same time perfectly correct
and totally unhelpful. I realized that we must be circling the Microsoft
Technical Support Line building, and I know the airport is five miles due
east of that."

Brian Austin said:
Only a Mac user would assume he's the first one to type anything...

:rofl:

OK, I admit it... That joke was originally made up by someone at Xerox PARC. :D

Back