[na]what's a good android MP3 player?[na]

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
there are a bunch in the play store. Looking for recommendations on good ones.

I had a "google? Really? WTF?" moment today so it's time to disable google's "play music" and go to plan B.

What was the WTF moment? you may ask...

I'm listening to MY MUSIC that is loaded on MY PHONE and f***ing google starts playing an ad between each song. I didn't realize at first that it was MY MUSIC on MY PHONE because I also listen to a lot of albums on YouTube. I was driving and really not clued in to what was going down. But after 2 or 3 commercials I was like "wait? WTF? This is MY MUSIC on MY PHONE!"

Did I mention that I was listening to MY MUSIC on MY PHONE? :)

I’ve used Spotify for years.

That said...I like Spotify because I pay $10/month to download as much music as I want. Used to pay for music track by track through iTunes/Google Play, but I haven't done that for years as it gets very expensive. Just my two cents.

I had a "google? Really? WTF?" moment today so it's time to disable google's "play music" and go to plan B.

I'm listening to MY MUSIC that is loaded on MY PHONE and f***ing google starts playing an ad between each song. I didn't realize at first that it was MY MUSIC on MY PHONE because I also listen to a lot of albums on YouTube. I was driving and really not clued in to what was going down. But after 2 or 3 commercials I was like "wait? WTF? This is MY MUSIC on MY PHONE!"

Can't help you there, but that is a jacked up deal.

I was going to tease you about Garmin's business practices but I'll refrain. Commercializing your own music on your own phone is really bad. They are also, IMO, "stealing" your data to send it to you. Is there a permission that you can turn off for the player? Did this happen to you? https://www.digitaltrends.com/music/what-happens-to-google-play-music-youtube-music/

Well poo. I was just getting ready to load my playlist onto Google Play because some people I'm associated with at work use it and I wanted to share and be on the same platform but now not sure it's a good idea. The last thing I want is my own tunes on my own phone being interrupted with ads. That's really weird.

I haven't had that happen to me yet exactly. I don't have an alternate for you but I'll commiserate with you. I did have it play a commercial one time when I thought I was listening to 'my music' but it had launched 'artist radio' when I was trying to play 'my music'. I'm kind of getting fed up with how hard it is to get it to play your music and search only within your music. Sticking with it for now.... The best way to keep it on your music is to put it in offline mode but then you're limited to cached storage. But if you're going with another app anyway, you'll probably be limited to offline storage as well.

Well poo. I was just getting ready to load my playlist onto Google Play because some people I'm associated with at work use it and I wanted to share and be on the same platform but now not sure it's a good idea. The last thing I want is my own tunes on my own phone being interrupted with ads. That's really weird.
I think if you cache the songs and then use offline mode you won't get any ads. I haven't gotten ads when listening to my library but it can be difficult to search and launch within your library. You'd think google would have a better search, like have a radio button for 'in my library'

I select "play downloaded only" and have never been accosted by ads on google play. Tried blackplayer, but navigation around the app was not very user friendly imho.

I did have it play a commercial one time when I thought I was listening to 'my music' but it had launched 'artist radio' when I was trying to play 'my music'.
I was definitely listening to MY music but you may have hit on something. I launched "artist radio" for the first time a few days ago just to see what it was. Maybe that triggered a permission that didn't go away when I went back to listening to my own music.

I rebooted my phone last night. We'll see if that resets it.

I use Poweramp on my Samsung S8 and like it. I don't listen to a ton of music stored locally and can't compare it to others but it works well for me. 15 day free trial then just $3.99 for unlock. 1.2 millon ratings at 4.5 and 50 million downloads.

This seems so basic that the default app on the phone ought to be good enough. Same with the photo gallery. I use QuickPic for that.

I found the google function on a android can be used to find where you can buy a iPhone ;)

When you click on the 3 dashes to get to "settings" in Google Play music do you have "Downloaded Only" enabled? That might do the trick. Once you enable that Top Charts, New Releases, Browse Stations, and Shop are "disabled"/grayed out.

I found the google function on a android can be used to find where you can buy a iPhone ;)

Yeah, that is even worse. My daughters have iPhones, I send them to my brother for support. In addition, you have no practical choice but to pay the Apple tax to listen to your own music. No thanks.

Tim

Yeah, that is even worse. My daughters have iPhones, I send them to my brother for support. In addition, you have no practical choice but to pay the Apple tax to listen to your own music. No thanks.

Tim

I have a ton of music I didn’t get from apple, Winamp with the ml_ipod plug in is great

Tim

Huh? I have thousands of songs on my iPhone from a variety of sources. It’ll happily play whatever I put on it.

When you click on the 3 dashes to get to "settings" in Google Play music do you have "Downloaded Only" enabled? That might do the trick. Once you enable that Top Charts, New Releases, Browse Stations, and Shop are "disabled"/grayed out.
Thanks Brock, I turned that on...

Back