NA -- What is your favorite war movie?

old cfi

Pre-takeoff checklist
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Old CFI
Since Veterans Day is coming up thought it timely for this post. I'll start it off with:

A Walk in the Sun (1945) Turner screens it once in awhile. Great movie.

Stone you attested of with a title including the word, "sun", how about "Tears of the Sun."

The Big Red One. Twelve O'clock High right up there, with Black Hawk Down and Saving Private Ryan. Not a movie, exactly, but Band of Brothers was as good as it gets, too.

The Blue Max. But not so much because it was a war movie.

The longest day and twelve o'clock high are tied for wwduce

We were soldiers always chokes me up and my number one pick for 'NAM!

WWuno has to be paths of glory

Kelly's Hero's, Bridge Over the River Kwai, Battle of Britain, and 12 O'clock High.

Hell's Angels
The Longest day
Green Berets
A Bridge too Far
saving pvt ryan

and all of KyleB's choices.

Catch 22

Deer Hunter, although it is not really a movie about war as it is a movie about friendship.

Apocalypse Now, by a wide margin. Second in line is U571. But I like all war movies.

never knew there was a re-make
Where have you been ? The remake was the biggest blockbuster if the last ten years! They had to open up three new factories making the dvd just to keep up with demand! Won a grip of awards, a copy has been saved in the vaults at the smithsonian and it is required viewing for all new military recruits because it is as real as it gets! Combat vets couldn't sit through it because it was so real and I believe a few even cried during the viewing.
I didn't put it on my list because I consider it more of a documentary.

Devils brigade is one of my favorites as well. They trained in Helena Montana, my father is from Helena so it has some local value to me. Great movie and a great story. The first special forces.

Apocalypse Now, by a wide margin.

I remember when that movie came out. Our Wing Commander flew in Vietnam and wrote in the base newspaper the movie was total ********. It was entertaining though.

30 Seconds Over Tokyo will probably always be my favorite.

12 O'clock High, In Harm's Way, The Enemy Below, The Longest Day, Bridges at Toko-Ri are all favorites as well.

Can't believe no one has mentioned "Mr. Roberts." Watch for it around Memorial Day.

"Twelve O'Clock High" and "The War Lover" are two that top my list, but I also want to acknowledge that "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo" and "God Is My Co-Pilot" also had a big influence on me.

I remember when that movie came out. Our Wing Commander flew in Vietnam and wrote in the base newspaper the movie was total ********. It was entertaining though.

I doubt anyone actually believed it to be an accurate portrayal of the conflict. There is actually a bar in downtown Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) named the "Apocalypse Now" that is themed around the movie.

Patton (First by a long measure)
12 o'Clock High
Battle of Britain

Cheers

Newer ones I like "Lone Survivor", "Zero Dark Thirty" and "Unbroken", which will leave you amazed and choked up on what this warrior went thru and accomplished during his life. Years later after WW2 he visited Japan but the Jap guard who beat him would not meet with him. I have the book too, excellent also.

Last edited:
Command Decision and 12 O'Clock High tie for the top spot.

Then several I like a lot. I Was A Male War Bride, Dirty Dozen, 30 Seconds Over Tokyo, Midway, In Harm's Way, Action In the North Atlantic (Bogie & the merchant marine), Operation Petticoat, Run Silent Run Deep.

Special honors for The Best Years of Our Lives and Harold Russell (and if you don't know who he is, look him up then watch the movie).

12 o'clock high was taken from actual happenings that occurred when the " bloody 100th " based in England, flew missions against Germany. They suffered tremendous losses . The book B17 by Edward jablonsky , tells in detail , a lot of what occurred , the pilots, POWS, etc. great book. This movie has been my favorite as it seems they tried to really explain what happened to these 19-25 year old crews. Apocalypse was , I think , trying to show how stupid the Vietnam war really was. We lost thousands of troops , spent billions, got our azz handed to us, then proceeded to start another in 2003. And yes, a lot of drugs were used in Vietnam.

12 o'clock high was taken from actual happenings that occurred when the " bloody 100th " based in England, flew missions against Germany. They suffered tremendous losses . The book B17 by Edward jablonsky , tells in detail , a lot of what occurred , the pilots, POWS, etc. great book. This movie has been my favorite as it seems they tried to really explain what happened to these 19-25 year old crews. Apocalypse was , I think , trying to show how stupid the Vietnam war really was. We lost thousands of troops , spent billions, got our azz handed to us, then proceeded to start another in 2003. And yes, a lot of drugs were used in Vietnam.

Read Jablonsky's book not long ago, and a few more about those Bomber Wings. Amazing what those crews endured. Yup Vietnam was a goat rope (FUBAR) and that's why the first Gulf War was a success. Bush Sr allowed the military to run it. Vietnam Johnson and McNamara ran it like a ****ing board game and got thousands killed, and they're responsible for it.

Last edited:
An earlier one with Mel... We Were Soldiers

So many good ones!
Midway
Dirty Dozen
Tora Tora Tora!
U571
Saving Private Ryan
I like a lot of them!

Back