[NA]Website behavior - redirects[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
For as long as I remember many news links that I click on - could be fox, or cnn, or nyt or time or yahoo, doesn't seem to matter - I get a failure to connect. Not all, just some links.

The links that fail will say something like, "Santorum takes Indiana" or some other news article. I click on it's always a link that takes me to a "traffic.outbrain.com" and I get a connect failure.

Examples below.
I suspect the link is redirecting me to a counter site? Or a location tracking site? I have seen other computers connect to such sites successfully and I believe it flashes the traffic.outbrain site in the address connection bar, and then connects to the news article immediately thereafter.
|Probably my browser is blocking the traffic site and that is why I cannot see those articles.

For eg one news site said, "7 things that annoy your vet" (they are bang on, btw) when I click the link it failed. So I copied the link, see below.
I was able to find it on google; second link.

The question is how to fix?

ttp://traffic.outbrain.com/network/redir?key=4df1f7259784f72667974738feabd7ca&rdid=267852735&type=IMD_d/t2_la&in-site=true&req_id=94150669dce0bae29a638ca526243816&agent=blog_JS_rec&recMode=7&reqType=1&wid=100&imgType=0&refPub=1028&prs=true&scp=false

ttp://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/the-7-things-pet-owners-do-that-drive-veterinarians-crazy

Seamonkey; WinXP Pro

It's a network error, cause unknown, you could see if you're the one blocking it and not somewhere in between.

Open the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts file see whats in it. please, open with notepad, won't have an extension. See if outbrain is in there, if it is, remove the entire line should be something like

traffic.outbrain.com 127.0.0.1 or something.

You can use the hosts file to override any DNS lookup and some "ad blocker" software likes to dump stuff in there.

Last edited:
Back