[na] webcam cable wires

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
what is the standard positioning of the 8 color coded wires for catVe cable, on a male terminal when used for a web cam set up?
Ie for the phones, there was a certain position for the green, blue, red etc wires on the connector. Could it be the same for a cam set-up?

I am sure there are ways 'it will work fine' - but I want to do it according to the standard if one exists.
Thanks.

White Orange, Orange, White Blue, Blue, White Green, Green, White Brown, Brown.

Although, for crossovers, you reverse one of the greens and one of the blues. Can't remember that one off the top of my head.

edit: Or you look at the link above. D'oh.

And it depends if you're using EIA/TIA 568A or 568B for your standard color code.

That's the beauty of standards -- there's so many you can choose your own.

Mix 'N' Match is always fun if you want to drive the next person looking at your wiring nuts too.

That's the one that I have always used...

When I did my first Cat5 gig with my father about 14 years ago (holy crap.....holy crap), that was what we used. I remember it vividly because I think I terminated about 300 caps, so I said that pattern about 500 times (because of mistakes).

I usually use the more common EIA/TIA standards now, because they're easier to remember :D

This is an install for a charitable organization (humane society).

So, do I need straight through, crossover, or rolled? Does it depend on the camera or what they connect to?

Thanks.

When I did my first Cat5 gig with my father about 14 years ago (holy crap.....holy crap), that was what we used. I remember it vividly because I think I terminated about 300 caps, so I said that pattern about 500 times (because of mistakes).

I usually use the more common EIA/TIA standards now, because they're easier to remember :D

That pattern (WO,O,WG,B,WB,G,WB,B) is made for Ethernet. The original 10BaseT twisted pair ethernet (and 100BaseTX too, for that matter) used one pair on the 1&2 pins and another pair on the 3&6 pins. If you just wired one pair on 12, one on 34, one on 56, and one on 78, it would not work well... Hence, the orange pair on 12 and the green pair on 36, with the "unused" ones (which are now used for gigabit) on 45 and 78.

So, all those cables we wired back then should still be working with gigabit ethernet, if we did it right. :yes:

That pattern (WO,O,WG,B,WB,G,WB,B) is made for Ethernet. The original 10BaseT twisted pair ethernet (and 100BaseTX too, for that matter) used one pair on the 1&2 pins and another pair on the 3&6 pins. If you just wired one pair on 12, one on 34, one on 56, and one on 78, it would not work well... Hence, the orange pair on 12 and the green pair on 36, with the "unused" ones (which are now used for gigabit) on 45 and 78.

So, all those cables we wired back then should still be working with gigabit ethernet, if we did it right. :yes:

The idea as I recall was to allow 4&5 to carry voice while data was on 1236.

I still use 568B when I make cables or put in cabling plants.

Other advise I have received suggests I use (see attached).
No crossover, no 'rolled'.

Disagreements?

Attachments

• pinouts.JPG
    pinouts.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 7
All amusing abstractions until we actually know what camera devices were bought. Make determination then, and only then.

This is an install for a charitable organization (humane society).

So, do I need straight through, crossover, or rolled? Does it depend on the camera or what they connect to?

Thanks.

Use a straight cable. You rarely need a crossover cable these days if you're connecting to a switch - and all home routers have switched ports - they will autodetect another switch and do the crossover automatically when needed.

Not true. You could crimp O B WB G WO Br WG WBr if you wanted (or NY combo) provided both sides are identical.

All amusing abstractions until we actually know what camera devices were bought. Make determination then, and only then.

Shouldn't matter, provided the cable is the same on both ends. We could use Nick standard and it would work provided a crossover isn't needed (and its pretty specific applications that require them)

Shouldn't matter, provided the cable is the same on both ends. We could use Nick standard and it would work provided a crossover isn't needed (and its pretty specific applications that require them)

Nick:

Agree that it "shouldn't" matter - but sometimes, it does (!). Presume these devices will have POE- but don't know.

Again with the "don't know"!

Not true. You could crimp O B WB G WO Br WG WBr if you wanted (or NY combo) provided both sides are identical.

True for short runs and slow speeds, where a wire's a wire's a wire - But the reason for the twisted pairs is to cancel out unwanted interference. If you are running longer cable lengths, the pairs need to be respected.

Back