[NA] Using my computer as a speakerphone via Bluetooth

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Here's what I want to do... I work from home when I'm not on the road. One of the several computers on my desktop is an HP TouchSmart 600 (widescreen touchscreen with built in video camera, speakers, microphone). I use the HP extensively for video conferencing via WebEx and Skype and GoToMeeting.

When customers don't have VOIP on their end, and I have to dial into a bridge with my Blackberry, I end up wearing a wired stereo headset on my Blackberry, as the mono Bluetooth earpiece doesn't have the clarity or volume I'd like to have.

The HP TouchSmart doesn't have built-in Bluetooth, but it occurred to me that if I purchased a BT USB dongle that supports the correct protocols / profiles, I could then use my TouchSmart's mic and speakers as a "hands free speakerphone", much as I use the hands free functionality in my car (which works great).

Question is, can I do this? Which profiles do I need to ensure a purchased dongle supports?

I'm finding devices that support Headset Profile (HSP), but also in that list (linked above) is Hands-Free Profile (HFP). I'm not sure if I need one or the other, or both, or something else entirely, to accomplish what I'm trying to do... :dunno:

One of the dongles I was looking at was this one. It supports HSP, but not HFP.

Last edited:
BT dongles for the PC are usually so you can attach a BT headset to the PC, not to attach the PC to a phone.

So, I'm going to get this ASUS adapter, which is on Microsoft's compatibility list for 64-bit Windows 7, and which supports 17 Windows BT profiles, and give it a shot... will report back.

Well, it works, and works well! Super simple to setup, immediately saw my phone and Control Panel asks me if I want to use it as a hands-free device. When I say 'connect', the current call starts streaming through the PC's speakers, and they hear me through the PC's mic.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ScreenShot055.png
    ScreenShot055.png
    75.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back