NA User CAL vs Device CAL

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I cannot find a simplified explanation of which is appropriate; including the use of MS's "CAL Decision Tool". The questions stump me.

And, how do they define a "User"? Do they mean a specific human or do they mean "Bookkeeper" or "Receptionist"?
If they are a specific person, how would they know when that person quits and is replaced? Maybe it's the honor system?

I have 4-5 workstations each of which must be accessible to all staff (about 5) and want to be able to access the server using my laptop or a hotel computer when traveling.

What is the pricing scheme of CALs?

A user is someone with a login name. Basically, with User CALs, you pay for every account that you have on the system.

A device CAL is a computer or mobile device. Basically, you pay for every device that accesses your system.

In terms of reassignment, once you "assign" a CAL to a user or device, it must remain assigned to that device for a minimum time period. Sorry, don't have the Microsoft docs in front of me, but either 60d or 90d seems familiar to me. So, if you assign a CAL to someone, and they quit the next day, you have to keep that CAL assigned for that period of time, but if they quit 6 months after you assign, you can reclaim that immediately and give it to the replacement.

Based on your scenario, I would probably go with "User CALs".

(And FYI, I used to do this type of analysis for a Fortune 500 company)

Thanks Jeff.
Anyone know the price diff between user and device CALs?

Back