NA Uber ("cab" service)

Yup. The notice I received from the insurance company was not clear but it insinuates that the medical numbers are going to be the ones you end up in court for. They'd probably fix the car. The car is cheap compared to an ER trip for everyone in it.

If you click the link, it appears that drivers are very well insured on all fronts when driving for Uber. There is a minimum of 1 million smooth liability when transporting passengers, or when driving to pick up passengers. They also have underinsured, comp&collision etc..

The taxicab companies' model is to lease a cab to a cab driver for 24-hour periods, with the cost of the lease being so high that few drivers can afford to do so without driving for most or all of the 24-hours. Remember that next time you think a-driver is a little bit rank-it may not be by choice!

That makes a lot of sense, based on my experience riding in cabs.

Greatest benefit for me to Uber is that money never changes hands and I am not giving my CC info to a sketchy cab driver.

The insurance argument is a red herring. Uber cars have 1M in liability and, at least in VA, "taxis" are only required to have 300K.

They are very market driven, in places with horrendous cabs (DC) they are awesome. In places where cabs are decent (Manhattan) they are less interesting.

This market is pretty efficient.

The challenge (and, in my opinion, the reason the Uber model even works) is that the taxicab companies have for a very long time been creating a "walled garden" for themselves, in which they have a near-monopoly on the market. As a result, consumers (potential passengers) have to tolerate generally poor quality, and drivers are often abused.

Allow me to illustrate.

In most major markets, there are restrictions on the number of taxicabs which are allowed (often called "medallions"), which makes the barrier to entry-simply securing a medallion-very high to start with. Then, political influence is used to impose "standards" on Operators which, by their nature, make it difficult to impossible for those few owner-operators who can manage to get a medallion, to stay effectively in business.

In Dallas, taxicab regulations were passed (I believe, in the early 90s) which mandated that cabs could be no more than three years old, in the putative name of "safety." The net effect, of course, was to make it difficult to impossible for small owner-operators to stay in business, unless they operated small, uncomfortable cars. Note well: livery operators run Town Cars to 600,000 miles with enviable safety and reliability.

The taxicab companies' model is to lease a cab to a cab driver for 24-hour periods, with the cost of the lease being so high that few drivers can afford to do so without driving for most or all of the 24-hours. Remember that next time you think a-driver is a little bit rank-it may not be by choice!

Here in Dallas, we had a city Council member who was convicted of felony corruption charges as a result of his blatant influence-peddling on behalf of the dominant taxicab operating company here in Dallas. We used to have a thriving independent taxicab operator community here in Dallas, with very nice equipment (example: a custom van, Dallas Cowboys colors, steer horns on the front with a television and wet bar), and such operators often had a large book of devoted repeat clients. A taxicab owner could make a good solid living driving his cab reasonable hours, and establishing a solid base of repeat customers. Now, very few independent drivers can afford to own a taxi medallion, and they have to compete against the giant fleet of taxicabs being operated by near-desperate drivers, victims of the machine.

I am all for free enterprise, but when your "free enterprise" requires protection of ill-considered laws, it is not "free" at all.

One of the many offbeat jobs I worked to make ends meet when I was young included driving a NYC medallion cab. It was owned by a good friend of mine who was an observant Jew. I drove it on Friday afternoons into Saturday when I needed some extra money. I think I gave Nathan one-third of whatever I took in plus paid for the gas. Or something like that. I forget.

It's not an easy way to make money. I couldn't imagine doing it full-time. But if you own the cab and medallion, it can be very profitable. It's even decent if you don't own the cab. It's just not easy.

Friday afternoons were mainly departing airport traffic, which was okay except that most foreigners give measly tips (if they tip at all). The exceptions would be the Brits, who would count out 15 percent to the penny; the Arab sheiks, who might throw you a hundred or more; and those from the Mediterranean countries (except for France) who tipped pretty much like Americans when they were in America (except for the French, who rarely tipped at all and who started every trip by asking if I spoke French).

Friday nights were busy, but the percentage of drunks, screwballs, and guys being obnoxious to impress their girlfriends was higher. But they usually tipped okay. Saturdays were a bit slower, but there were also fewer cabs and less traffic in general on the road and a somewhat better class of fares. There were fewer drunks and screwballs, and more tourists and families going to museums. They usually weren't abusive and wouldn't puke in the cab. The latter group also tended to tip generously. So there was money to be made. It was just a lot of work.

Back then, Medallion cabs were the only cabs allowed to hack. Nowadays I'm told that there are some "black cabs" that also are allowed to hack. The black cabs have always hacked with impunity in the "outer boroughs," but the prohibition was very strongly enforced in Manhattan and at the airports, train stations, and bus depots. Only medallion cabs could hack or pick up fares from taxi stands in those places. It was very strictly enforced.

The taxi medallions, back then, were going for $250,000.00 each. There's actually a credit union in Queens that was established largely to finance medallion purchases. Medallion cabs can only be of a very few models and are rather carefully maintained and inspected (at least in NYC), contrary to what one might believe. TLC was also notoriously strict about enforcing its rules for drivers. Back then, they even enforced dress code violations.

The process of getting a hack license back then was not easy. A driver had to first upgrade his state license (basically by paying a fee and being photographed), be background-checked, line up some references, take an approved course, pass a test on TLC regs and getting around the city, get a physical and what passed for a drug screen back then (mainly checking for needle tracks), be recommended by a current licensee or cab company, and be interviewed. If all went well, a license was issued to drive a taxi or airport bus (subject to the privileges on the driver's state license). The process doesn't seem to have changed very much since then.

Once awarded the coveted hack license, the driver had the privilege of working one of the most difficult jobs one could imagine. If you think cabbies are rude, try pax (or "fares," in cabbie parlance). And then there are the drunks who puke (or worse) in your cab, the screwballs who go bananas for no reason, the fares who think you're a shrink and tell you stuff you never wanted to know, the ones who lie about where they want to go until they get into the cab, and the ones who try to skip without paying the fare. And, of course, there are the ones who want to stick you up.

The ones who lied were the ones who wanted to go to the "outer boroughs," which usually meany a deadhead trip back unless they wanted to be dropped off in Queens near JFK or LGA. Once they were in the cab you had to take them wherever they wanted to go, anywhere in the five boroughs or the adjacent counties. But if the destination was outside the five boroughs (except for EWR, where we could legally hack), they had to pay double the meter fare plus any tolls. So someone who wanted to go to Brooklyn might say they were going somewhere else before they actually got into the cab, but then change the destination once they got in.

Then again, technically speaking we weren't supposed to decline trips to the outer boroughs even before they got into the cab, so I guess it was fair play.

And then there was the inherent unpleasantness of trying to drive any vehicle around The City. That's no joke, either. On good days it was bad. On bad days it was maddening.

What it comes down to is that moving random members of the public around is harder work than most people realize. I have a lot of respect for cabbies in general, whether of the traditional or more modern varieties. Whether they're driving yellow cabs, livery cars, Uber, or whatever, it's a very difficult way to make a living. I only did it when I needed some extra cash in a hurry. Doing it for a living every day is something I don't think I could handle.

Rich

Last edited:
I recently listened to a Planet Money podcast about a guy who was buying up medallions for huge amounts of money. He was getting loans for them. Turned out to be a bubble.

I have NEVER had a good experience on a cab. Ever.

The app is intuitive to use. You just have to spend more than 30 seconds with it your first time around. I can get a fare estimate that has never been off and I can keep track of the cars position along the entire route. No $$ changes hands and I always know what to expect in terms of the cars and drivers in use.

Be aware that you, as a customer, has a 5-star scale that the driver uses to rate you. Get rated poorly as a customer, and you'll never be allowed to use the service again.

Greatest benefit for me to Uber is that money never changes hands and I am not giving my CC info to a sketchy cab driver.

Very true. I had a mix up with Uber where the driver cancelled the trip by mistake right when he pulled up. It automatically charged me the flat rate($2-4). I sent an email to Uber explaining what happened and had my money refunded before the next Uber driver arrived. Only had that happen once.

If I lived on a busy street where cabs drive by constantly, the cab would be a better deal. But I live on an off street so it is more convenient to request an Uber while I am getting my shoes on and have them pull up right to my door, especially when it's raining. Or order one while the lady friend is using the restroom at a restaurant so he is outside ready when we come out. One evening I left my dead cell phone in the car. Was able to use my Mac to get the drivers number from the emailed receipt they send you instantly. Messaged my friend to call her and ask if she could bring it back. Driver was outside my door and returned my cellphone in 5 minutes. She got a pretty big tip.

Once you request the ride and the driver is on the way, there is a little flag that says 'enter destination'. If you do choose to enter the destination at this time, when the driver picks you up, he will know exactly where he is going and his App will pre-load google maps' directions. This saves you from having to give verbal directions etc...

If you actually click on "Fare Estimate" before requesting the Uber, the destination you plug in is saved and it gets sent to the drivers phone so he knows where you are going before he even pulls up.

Plus with the rating system, pretty much every Uber I have been is has been cleaner than any cab. Plus I don't like the partition and leather bench seats that makes me feel like I am riding in the back of a cop car.

If you click the link, it appears that drivers are very well insured on all fronts when driving for Uber. There is a minimum of 1 million smooth liability when transporting passengers, or when driving to pick up passengers. They also have underinsured, comp&collision etc..

Liability often specifically excludes medical coverage. Better read the fine print on that policy. Liability nowadays is a very specific (and relatively cheap) coverage in many places. Medical coverages are often "per seat" and limited by things like not driving for hire. "Smooth" liability is great. It may or may not explicitly cover medical claims.

The passenger can still sue, for anything they want, of course. (Hell, they can sue you for discrimination or anything they please really. You're a business in the eyes of the law, once you choose to drive for any of these places.)

If the liability coverage purchased excludes medical expenses, they can TRY to get the insurance company to pay up, and some may settle... But it won't be a simple claim and over with. At least not with my insurer. "Liability" coverage and "medical" coverage are two distinctly different things the way they wrote their policies.

Okay by me. Keeps my rates low and raises rates for a group with a higher likelihood of an accident by simply acknowledging that driving for hire usually puts one on the road X times the amount of hours more, and with more people on board, than a single driver who occasionally has passengers.

It's a little odd that Uber would require Comprehensive. That's going to fix the vehicle and that would seem to be the business of the owner of the vehicle, not Uber.

It's really just worth noting. We all run our various risks and take our chances. Even with "coverage" it's likely some lawyer or judge will change the plain language of what a policy means, because they feel like it. One can appeal, too, of course. But the costs of doing so are often bankruptcy-inducing and many years long. Especially at the pay grade of an Uber driver.

Imagine the "damages" an estate could claim of an accident in your car while you're driving a Wall Street banking exec around, and he or she is killed. That number will be astronomical. And their multiple lawyers will be on retainer anyway for the estate and the family so... Hope you can afford at least as good a firm as they can, whether covered or not. $1M won't even cover the first month of damages they'll claim.

Hell, $1M won't even cover the assumed real liability of picking up a typical upper middle class schmuck, once the lawyers get through explaining how much money he or she would have made to send the ankle-biters to college over the next 20 years. $1M is nothing nowadays in a significant Civil suit.

I doubt Uber lets you put a limit on the assets and earning power of the person who just got in your back seat.

Our legal system will provide all the "Justice" you can afford. Caveat emptor. If you have significant personal assets, you'll be "enjoying" wondering whether you get to keep them as the case wanders through the Court system for years.

The good news is, most Uber drivers probably don't have deep pockets so the estate's lawyers get to battle it out with the insurance company lawyers while the "independent contractor" lies in a hospital bed with bills of their own, and Mr. Upper Middle Class' family tearfully authorizes the Estate's attorney to get every penny they can out of the poor dude.

Uber is great. For the folks running the website. For the drivers? Probably not so much. But maybe the paycheck is worth it to them, as long as nothing happens.

Here's a general thought: If you go to work for someone who makes you carry your own insurance and makes you sign a waiver that even though you're making THEM money, that you're not an employee and you're not covered by anything more than the equivalent of a $50-$75/year (if you buy one personally) $1M liability policy... you'd better have nothing real to lose, and they'd better be paying you real well to augment that personal liability.

Nobody would do it in any other business.

They're taking advantage of the need for a paycheck and the low assets of most folks willing to drive around picking up their customers.

I have a $1M personal liability policy and it's cheap cheap cheap. Mainly it's there to cover liability of being involved in various Boards of Directors and Officer positions of organizations too small to afford their volunteer Officers and Directors any liability coverage.

It protects my assets from being eaten up defending against the actions of a doofus representing any of those organizations, since I could be named personally in a lawsuit for their wrongdoing, with my name on the State-filed Officers and Directors list.

$1M is probably too low, but it's essentially "go away, I didn't make that decision nor condone it", money to pay for my attorney. Any good attorney is going to pull that list and name everyone even remotely involved.

Don't know (haven't looked to see) if an Uber driver has killed anyone with significant assets yet, but one will, and the case law created during the trial will be quite entertaining to read, if the lawyers don't settle and seal the amount paid by all parties, behind privacy laws. Which is by far the most common outcome, unless someone wants to be idealistic about something.

Uber has made it very clear that beyond that $1M, most of which will go to pay attorneys, that the driver is on their own. Whether a Judge or Jury will agree, probably remains to be seen. (Again, haven't looked for cases... But would happily read through one for entertainment value if it doesn't cost any money to pull a copy of it.)

I used Uber today. Add another excellent experience to my long list. I couldn't care less about antiquated taxi services. I call Uber because they raised the bar for customer care.

Hmm. Thinking through it, Uber is requiring Comprehensive because most insurers don't consider collisions with wildlife and various other things as covered by "collision" coverage. Makes sense now that I think about it.

Hit a deer and kill the passenger, collision won't be paying for that. Uber is hedging another bet with that one.

Did not find in a search but I used for the first time last night.....

I am having a hard time figuring out how a driver can justify this.
The car took 5 mins to arrive, 12 mins to get me to destination, probably 10 to get back = 27mins. The fare was $6.04. I am reading they get 80%....or almost $5 on my ride. So $10/hr minus expenses? Really?
Tips are not necessary....but they will get some - but is that enough to bring it to a worthwhile wage?
And, I can't believe there are enough 'return rides' - to counter the 10 mins I estimated it took him to get back.
Don't they also have to spring for commercial insurance too?

Nobody follows up on the insurance. Most places they dont even follow up on background checks. There were Uber drivers getting busted in Houston without driver's licenses. They dont have to buy special cars with special paint jobs, they dont have to have handicap lifts, meters, lights, City Cab medallions, fire extinguishers, etc... I wouldn't be surprised if the taxes on the income are kinda hinky too..

Most of these guys aren't driving solely for a living with Uber. You have someone who is already paying for the car and insurance adding to their income on the side

In New York City's "outer boroughs," what denizens call "car services" (livery or "for-hire" cabs) have always been the most common way to buy a ride. Livery cab companies, their cars, and their drivers are TLC-licensed; but their drivers and cars usually aren't allowed to hack. The cars also lack taxi meters and the drivers are allowed to charge whatever they like for a trip as long as they state the fare in advance. Most of the "companies" merely provide dispatch services. The drivers usually own their own cars.
I am quite aware of the car services/gray cabs. I even mentioned it in my post. Still they are not as convenient as Uber by and large. Getting a car service vehicle on demand is still problematic.

Perhaps if the livery services adopted the phone app to get them easily and timely available, it would be a different story. Many areas are now getting their cabs up on an Uber like dispatch system to compete. Frankly, if that were available, I'd certainly give it serious consideration.

I am quite aware of the car services/gray cabs. I even mentioned it in my post. Still they are not as convenient as Uber by and large. Getting a car service vehicle on demand is still problematic.

Perhaps if the livery services adopted the phone app to get them easily and timely available, it would be a different story. Many areas are now getting their cabs up on an Uber like dispatch system to compete. Frankly, if that were available, I'd certainly give it serious consideration.

Oh, there's no doubt the industry could use some modernizing. It's pretty antiquated. My satisfaction with it undoubtedly reflects some of the comfort with predictable mediocrity that people born and raised in New York City tend to develop.

It's like when you're waiting on a subway platform for the train to arrive. You know it's not going to be a particularly enjoyable experience. No one enjoys being jammed into a subway car with strangers like fish in a tin. But you're still glad when the train pulls into the station.

Rich

One might argue the current (traditional) taxi rules are a result of past abuses.

Uber isn't playing by the same rules.

Good for them. And good for me. The taxis in this town are absolutely horrible. Many of the drivers barely speak English, and I've never found one who actually knew his way around. They're all using Google maps anyway, and Uber actually figured out how to directly populate it without me having to give directions and wait for him to figure it out. The payment mechanism also solves the problem of none of the cabbies wanting to make change or have a credit card machine.

The last time we took uber was to a concert downtown. We left my car at my office, and took uber both ways (five minutes) . It's basically like having your own driver. Wait in the office until the app tells me he's two minutes away, go out to the street, he pulls up right where we're standing, we already know each other's names, and he drives us right where we're going. Same deal on the way back. Round trip for less than the cost of parking, no arguing about change or a tip, and no traffic hassles.

Those of you who live in cities with decent cab service may not need it. But it really is awesome.

But it really is awesome.

It's a great concept and from the excerpts here it seems like it's a real-world success too. (well, except for the money-making part) My only beef is that they snub the rules that other companies have to play by which gives them an incredibly unfair advantage.

My only beef is that they snub the rules that other companies have to play by which gives them an incredibly unfair advantage.

Yes, notwithstanding the very good comments above especially regarding the use of a licensing body to protect a monopoly...if we are to carry Uber's concept
further, to all the businesses using licensing agencies - what would happen to us if anyone could bypass the rules. Barbers/hairdressers for example - all of a sudden people are setting up shop without all the burdensome sanitation rules. There are hundreds of such examples.

Right now, if you own, or work at a business that is regulated in some way, think for a moment how it would be affected if yours had to continue under the rules, but a new and growing competitor pool did not.

Yes, notwithstanding the very good comments above especially regarding the use of a licensing body to protect a monopoly...if we are to carry Uber's concept
further, to all the businesses using licensing agencies - what would happen to us if anyone could bypass the rules. Barbers/hairdressers for example - all of a sudden people are setting up shop without all the burdensome sanitation rules. There are hundreds of such examples.

Right now, if you own, or work at a business that is regulated in some way, think for a moment how it would be affected if yours had to continue under the rules, but a new and growing competitor pool did not.

Oh no! The horror of non-licensed barbers/hairdressers!! :eek:

Some of us think the response to unfair regulations is to remove them, not double down on them.

Most licencing agencies are pretty corrupt.

Some of us think the response to unfair regulations is to remove them, not double down on them.

Most licencing agencies are pretty corrupt.

??? Unfair regulations, sure. But I would think that the vast majority are not unfair.

As for "most licensing agencies are pretty corrupt", man I don't know how to respond.

I run a small landscaping/lawncare business. To apply chemicals for turf treatment (pest/weed control, fertilizer, etc.) you must be licensed, and part of the licensing requirement is that you have x number of hours experience and pass examinations. The exams tend to weed out (see what I did there?!) the idiots who don't even try. The purpose is for everyone throwing chemicals into the environment to have at the very least a basic knowledge of what they're doing so they 1) don't poison the environment and 2) are able to do for customers what they promise to do.

It's not atypical for the average idiot who can't pass the exam to either find a way to get the chemicals on his own or he buys over-the-counter chemicals. You see them running around w/o a clue of what they're doing. Every now and then you'll read about a class action or DNR or EPA fine from where they've created toxic spills.

In my mind, these guys are no different than Uber drivers. But I think the same thing of people who think they don't need a license to fly either. The license may not make them a safer pilot, but at least they're on the same plain (see what I did there?) as other pilots.

Uber is a classic all American business for our modern times. Eliminate full time jobs by replacing them with part time contract labor. Take on little to no liability for anything and if there are regulations that get in the way, crush them with your war chest of money and army of high paid lawyers. Then go public and get filthy stinking crazy rich on the IPO.

Who's making the money off this deal? It sure isn't the people driving the cars. It's all people who would never in a million years dream of actually driving a car for Uber.

Who's losing out? The people that used to drive the cars. They now can file for unemployment and try to find something else in an ever crowded low end job market. Also the local governments lose revenue.

Why is this popular? Because Americans want what they want, don't care how they get it and have little to no concern about their fellow Americans at all. When even immigrant cab drivers making meager wages can be easily replaced, we know the race to the bottom is really heating up and getting good.

Uber is a classic all American business for our modern times. Eliminate full time jobs by replacing them with part time contract labor. Take on little to no liability for anything and if there are regulations that get in the way, crush them with your war chest of money and army of high paid lawyers. Then go public and get filthy stinking crazy rich on the IPO.

Who's making the money off this deal? It sure isn't the people driving the cars. It's all people who would never in a million years dream of actually driving a car for Uber.

Who's losing out? The people that used to drive the cars. They now can file for unemployment and try to find something else in an ever crowded low end job market. Also the local governments lose revenue.

Why is this popular? Because Americans want what they want, don't care how they get it and have little to no concern about their fellow Americans at all. When even immigrant cab drivers making meager wages can be easily replaced, we know the race to the bottom is really heating up and getting good.

Wow, I guess that's one perspective. The flip-side is that the creators of Uber saw a market that was currently being under-served and created a novel way to reach that market (internet app-driven). It didn't take anyone's job any more than it created in part-time (or full time) positions. The only thing it did was reorganize the structure of the livery service. I don't feel like you can make a serious argument against people becoming wealthy who "never in a million years would drive a car for Uber". That same statement could be applied to most any business owner/creator who never worked on the shop floor in their career. Starting a business (and becoming wealthy from such) is not a crime, nor is it predicated on having done the manual labor yourself. The cab companies will be fine, because regulations will likely be relaxed (meaning more profit for them) and they will adapt and become more efficient (starting their own apps, eliminating high-overhead ops) or perish. It's the perfect example of capitalism at work with some barriers-to-entry mixed in.

As for local gov't losing out on revenue, it should have never been "their revenue" in the first place. Nothing like creating a protected class of jobs simply because the gov't deems it so.

Last edited:
Professional guilds, government monopolies, and rent seeking for everyone! Hurrah!

Interesting commentary, but irrelevant to this discussion. Find me a cab company of any size at which the drivers are employees - almost never happens. Uber is, in most respects, much more favorable to drivers than most cab operations.

Who's making millions off Tom Thumb? It sure as hell isn't the guys sacking groceries and collecting carts in the parking lot. Same thing. That's capitalism.

I fail to understand what's so great about Uber.

But that didn't seem to bother her. She kept pulling me under her umbrella so I could look at the little virtual cars moving on her screen, while here in the real world, yellow cab after yellow cab passed us by.

But other than that, it seems like a much more expensive and slower way to get around The City.

Rich

Rich, in which alternative universe did you find yellow taxis with their light on during the rain?

Also Ubers are much easier to find than available yellows during shift change - around 5a and 5pm. During those periods yellow cabs are very, very scarce.

-Skip

Last edited:
Rich, in which alternative universe did you find yellow taxis with their light on during the rain?

Also Ubers are much easier to find than available yellows during shift change - around 5a and 5pm. During those periods yellow cabs are very, very scarce.

-Skip

Just for fun I tried to find an Uber in Kearney, NE a while back. Nada. Zilch. Zip. Cab showed up in ten minutes after I called.

-Skip

The dearth of cabs between 4:00 and 5:00 has been true ever since the fleet-owned taxi companies started moving to Queens. The drivers can get fined for bringing the cab in late, so they stop hacking at around 4:00 to make sure they get to the garage by 5:00. Then the second shift has to make its way back into Manhattan, so usually we're talking about 5:15 to 5:30 before they're back in Midtown.

Back in the old days, when most of the fleets were headquartered on the West Side of Manhattan, it wasn't so bad. But the land there got too expensive.

Nonetheless, even at 5:00 in the rain, it's never taken me more than a minute or three to hail a yellow cab in The City. It seems longer when a dozen or two cabs pass you by either with fares or off-duty; but in terms of actual time, it's rarely more than a few minutes before one stops.

Rich

Last edited:
I used Uber today for the first time, when I got home from Denver. When I requested pickup, the driver called me in the first minute of the request to give me a time of arrival, his name and vehicle type. It was awesome.
Then I could even watch his little car icon moving on my map. He arrived in under 3 minutes. I was greeted with a smile, quickly loaded my bags into the back of his car with his babies car seat, and off we went.
$20 ride from the airport to the hospital, and no money or card swiping needed. Boom, done! Gave the man a tip for helping with my bags, and he was on his way!

Loved it, and will use it every time I need transportation from now on!

Just for fun I tried to find an Uber in Kearney, NE a while back. Nada. Zilch. Zip. Cab showed up in ten minutes after I called.

Probably not a "high demand" city. I'll bet the cab was pretty sketch as well. Hey look we took it to 4 pages!

Probably not a "high demand" city. I'll bet the cab was pretty sketch as well. Hey look we took it to 4 pages!

Not really. Standard Ford full size.

The only "sketch" was that he actually had an old fashioned credit card imprinter machine... ker-chunk, ker-chunk... He said their fancy electronic ones they recently upgraded had kicked the bucket and the bank dug the kluinkers out of a closet somewhere so the cab company could keep operating.

I said I'd be happy to pay in cash, but needed a reasonable looking receipt for my roadside assistance insurance claim, and he said the card imprinter would do that the best.

It was a cool throwback moment to the 80s. LOL. And no actual carbon paper this time to wonder where it went so someone could steal the imprint. Just that funky carbon paper with the magic stuff built into the paper. Heh.

He assured me that they kept the paper under lock and key until the stuff cleared and then they shredded them. He'd gotten so much grief from customers ( surprisingly in nowhere Nebraska ) about the security problem of the paper that he was looking forward to their vendor "finding out whatever the hell is wrong with the card readers " as he thumped on some piece of junk thing bolted onto the side of the official meter and tried not to curse more at it.

:)

Not really. Standard Ford full size.

The only "sketch" was that he actually had an old fashioned credit card imprinter machine... ker-chunk, ker-chunk... He said their fancy electronic ones they recently upgraded had kicked the bucket and the bank dug the kluinkers out of a closet somewhere so the cab company could keep operating.

I said I'd be happy to pay in cash, but needed a reasonable looking receipt for my roadside assistance insurance claim, and he said the card imprinter would do that the best.

It was a cool throwback moment to the 80s. LOL. And no actual carbon paper this time to wonder where it went so someone could steal the imprint. Just that funky carbon paper with the magic stuff built into the paper. Heh.

He assured me that they kept the paper under lock and key until the stuff cleared and then they shredded them. He'd gotten so much grief from customers ( surprisingly in nowhere Nebraska ) about the security problem of the paper that he was looking forward to their vendor "finding out whatever the hell is wrong with the card readers " as he thumped on some piece of junk thing bolted onto the side of the official meter and tried not to curse more at it.

:)

The advantage to those old, clunky machines was that the signature on the slip did prove that the customer had signed off on the sale. Some department stores still use them when a sale is for more than some arbitrary amount. I forget what it was that I bought not long ago where that was the case, but it was like deja vu all over again (R.I.P. Yogi) when the cashier reached under the counter for the imprinter.

I used to use an imprinter when I was doing computer repairs and support if the bill was more than $250.00. I still ran the charges through the virtual terminal (or later on, using a mobile card reader). I just made an imprinted receipt, as well. But my insurance guy persuaded me that having possession of the credit card numbers was actually more of a risk than that of a client denying that the charge was legit. So I modified the service ticket to contain a space for the type of card used, the last four digits, and the auth code. I figured that that information and the customer's signature on the ticket was good enough proof.

As it happens, no one ever challenged any of my charges, so it was a moot point.

Rich

Last edited:
None of the card processors give any additional precedence to having a card impression. A card present transaction (either via stripe, or now via chip) will be given more credence than your antique addressograph.

My VISA card doesn't even have raised print on it anymore.

Back