na: tv wall mount?

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
Finally getting around to wall mounting our 42" tv. Heard good things about cheetah mounts; any other pireps?

We use Peerless and Chief mounts at the shop. From looking at the Cheetah mounts page, they look pretty solid and I would not hesitate to use them commercially.

Note: I operate an AV integration company.

Plus they come with a level...(not sure I'd trust it but it it great thought!)

We have two TV's mounted. The off-the-shelf stuff was pricier than I thought it should be so I just made my own with material I already had on hand. At the time, the cheapest wall mounting kit was around $75.

Now, when we mounted dad's a few months ago it just seemed easier to get whatever Best Buy had - $30 and done in a couple of minutes.

Finally getting around to wall mounting our 42" tv. Heard good things about cheetah mounts; any other pireps?

Do you have a 42" old Plasma TV or a new 42" LED TV?...dramatic difference in weight.

If you need to just slap it on the wall without any features most any mount out there that is rated for your size TV will do just fine. Most of the failures happen in installation and securing the mounts by those that do not really know what they are doing and think some screws or molly bolts in drywall is adequate, not on the failure of the mounts themselves.

I have used many different mounts. They all do the same thing, find the one that functions the way that suits you at a price you can live with and buy it. Don't overthink a TV mount.

I have used many different mounts. They all do the same thing, find the one that functions the way that suits you at a price you can live with and buy it. Don't overthink a TV mount.

That's kind of why I like the NavePoint stuff. It looks identical to the stuff sold at higher prices (as in three to six times higher) under other labels. I suspect that they just have a more direct path to the same Chinese factory where all of these things are made. The one I bought most recently cost me about $14.00 compared to the $54.00 that home Depot wanted for one that sure seemed identical to me.

They also provide hardware for every conceivable installation situation and monitor mount type, and the descriptions are very accurate. I've never been unhappy with one of their mounts.

As for mounting hardware for use on drywall, this guy makes a science of it.

Rich

Do you have a 42" old Plasma TV or a new 42" LED TV?...dramatic difference in weight.

It's a 2007-era CCFL-backlit LCD, actually 46". Probably around 60 lbs. I will be hanging the mount on studs.

NONE of which are suitable for hanging a flatscreen TV on your wall...

I'm sure his point was to use those to hang the mount on the wall securely.

I'm sure his point was to use those to hang the mount on the wall securely.

My usual rule of thumb is that a combined weight of 40 pounds or more gets mounted to studs. Less than that and I'll consider some sort of anchor (usually toggle bolts, but I've used mollies). It's really as much a function of the strength of the sheetrock as of the fastener.

Rich

So, I ended up buying a APDAM3B. The mount is very well made. I was getting ready to hang the tv when I realized my tv had 600mm spacing, and the mount was only 400mm wide. Fail.

I figured I could fabricate my own rails and mount them on the arm, so I went to hardware store in search of 3/4" steel angle. They only had 1". That looks about right! Took it home and started drilling. Everything looked good until I went to hang the tv and the 1" angle was too tall to properly engage the brackets. Fail.

Ordered a APTMM2B. After some mixing and matching of parts, I was able to get the new 600mm rails on the old articulated arm.

If I had a do-over, I'd probably just get the APDAM2B to begin with.

Back