NA Truck service NA

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Only rarely do I have the opportunity to take my 2003 Tundra and 2003 4Runner to the dealer, and it will happen again soon.
The Tundra (4WD) is 150K mi, the 4R (2WD) is 90K mi.

Trying to come up with a list of things for them to do. The local guy has been good at inspection, fluid levels, oil/filter, tires, brake inspections, but other things are beyond him.
What should I instruct the dealer to take care of?

The 4R is getting a new timing belt, the Tundra had one at 90K.
The Tundra has new shocks/struts.
The local guy never checked valve clearances as spec'd in the manual.
Pretty sure the trans/diff/tfr case oils are long overdue.
All are fine wire spark plugs apparently.
What else to ask for during this 'city' opportunity?

Flush the brake fluid. Everyone forgets that.

It can wreak havoc with ABS valves.

You have timing belts on these things? That's unusal in a truck application. They usually use chains.

You lost me at dealer. I really prefer a good privately owned specialty shop over the dealer whenever I can find one. Dealer comes in second place to those.

Some stuff in no particular order:

- Think about lube fluids of all sorts and ask around. Dealers at least usually use the minimum quality stuff spec'd by the manufacturer and not generic drums like quick lube places, but troll some type forums and see what others are using. And take with an entire pillar of salt.

- Power steering fluid, drain and replace perhaps. If your pump is happy with it, I like synthetic.

- AC check/fill.

- Cabin air filters if you have them. Often neglected for years.

- Antifreeze flush/fill.

- Brake fluid.

Basically any fluid that normally doesn't get changed, just topped off, is 11 years old now. Replace.

^^^What Nate Said.^^^

---

Edit:

Check and tighten bolts on the 'Roo Bar. :D

Back