[NA] Too Good To Be True? Product Review

Daleandee

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dale Andee
Had this sent to me from a friend. I'm not the sharpest ax in the shed but this appears to me to be a great product for the seller, perhaps not so much for the buyer.

Opinions?

Edit to note: Comes with a 60 day return policy (but also states it will take 6-8 weeks before seeing the benefits of the device). Hummm ... o_O

How do they get away with this stuff?

Last edited:
Sounds like half the stuff I get on Amazon or Walmart, shady fake made up stuff, these companies are ruthless and let anyone become a seller with no vetting, as long as Amazon / Walmart get their cut (%), they don’t care.

I got a dog bed(s) that stained my hardwood floors, I need to make a claim with Amazon. Pain in the butt and a waste of my time, they want contractor quotes… (try getting a contractor to come out and see how much time you waste)

I got an ice maker filter with 4.8 stars (thousands of reviews) that caused a leak on my fridge and damaged my hardwood floors. Again from Amazon and same crap as above.

I had another device that when I plugged in the USB wire it started burning and smoking and started a small fire. I ripped it out and burnt myself a little as it was hot melted plastic, next time use a towel. I don’t care about the usb wire and nothing else was damaged but I was literally just charging something and about to walk out the house. What would have happened then?

Probably more stuff that I’m not thinking about. This is all recently too.

I am reminded of the "gas-saving" devices that were all over during the gas crisis years of the 70s. I worked at a parts house, owner was an old-line mechanic and service station owner ("never say 'gas station'!"). Traveling salesman came in to hawk his device (it was placed in-line, between the fuel supply and the carburetor, had a little float valve and a glass bowl), and went into this long, involved explanation of how it stabilized the fuel flow and moderated the pressure and did lots of other things that ended in "ed" to the gas. Also, it worked best if the user also installed the magnetic rings that surrounded the fuel line and "aligned the molecules" of the fuel for "more efficient burning."

Lester T. Robertson let him blather on, asking all kinds of probing questions (to which the hawker had all manner of smoothly-meaningless answers) before Les finally told him, "I know I'm from west Texas and sound country, but you must think I'm a special kind of stupid. Get out of my store before I drill you a new hole with my hogleg."

OK, if you are running a factory full of induction motors there is a thing called "Power Factor" that results in the actual power being used being less than what a meter reads. And, you can install big honking capacitors and stuff to make the magic pixies happy and even things out. But yea... No shortage of scam things.

Also, it worked best if the user also installed the magnetic rings that surrounded the fuel line and "aligned the molecules" of the fuel for "more efficient burning."

As a mechanic back in the olden days of carburetors, I saw a lot of cars with magnets on the fuel line.

Also on the fuel line would be the old wooden clothes pins that were designed to hang clothes on the line in the back yard... :lol:

Some folks claimed the clothes pins help reduce vapor lock, but I never saw it.

I also remember 1000mpg carburator plans sold in the back of Popular Mechanics magazine, but the ''big oil'' companies bought up all the plans before they could get out to the general public.

Amazon is filled with so much chinesium garbage. It's gotten harder and harder to find the actual product you want and not the knockoff. It's become the harbor freight of e commerce

This should win a Hugo award for creative science fiction:

Reduces Dirty EMF Electricity​

The patent-pending magnetic filter removes carbon from the electrical circuit helping to significantly reduce your exposure to harmful electromagnetic radiation (EMF/EMR) generated by your electronics, appliances, and dirty electrical system.​

Wait, this isn't real??!? Next you're going to tell me that my cleansing diet to purge all the toxins from my body is fake, too! :mad:

Had this sent to me from a friend. I'm not the sharpest ax in the shed but this appears to me to be a great product for the seller, perhaps not so much for the buyer.

Opinions?

Edit to note: Comes with a 60 day return policy (but also states it will take 6-8 weeks before seeing the benefits of the device). Hummm ... o_O

How do they get away with this stuff?
"Energy Saving" snake oil devices have been around for many decades, and this is just a new twist on an old theme.

Most of them fall into one of two categories:

1) Surge suppression. There are good reasons to install a surge suppressor at your main panel, but energy savings isn't one of them. The transient surge events that they block are so fast (microseconds) that there is no significant amount of energy present from a billing standpoint. It's enough to do damage to electronics, but only because the transient voltage peak can be incredibly high.

2) Power factor correction & harmonic reduction. This claim is based on the difference between kVA and kW, which becomes greater when the power factor is below 1.0. KVA can be far higher than kW for certain types of inductive loads or those that generate high amounts of harmonic content. This one is legit, but only from the utility's perspective; it saves the power company cost, but doesn't help you at all. The utility has to generate and deliver kVA, but your bill is based on kW. So, when you use a power factor correction system, you reduce the KVA that the utility has to deliver, but it doesn't change the kW that you get billed for.

If the device is well constructed, it won't do any harm, and might provide some benefit in protecting poorly designed electronics from transient events (lightning and switching transients). It won't reduce your power bill, though. The only way to do that is to use less energy, which means being more efficient, improving insulation, using a programmable thermostat, etc.

Straighten AC current?
For the ones with no clue what a/c stands for (not air conditioning)or why it’s called a/c or what the term hertz means.

Just had the a/c vs d/c talk with a kid in welding school and why we use a/c for our power grid. Started to get into Tesla Vs Edison…but first had to explain Tesla isn’t just a car. And how there’s a bit of irony in naming the company Tesla despite the batteries storing DC power.

Wait, this isn't real??!? Next you're going to tell me that my cleansing diet to purge all the toxins from my body is fake, too! :mad:
No, no!! That's a total fake. You have to use the thingies that stick onto your feet and draw all the toxins out through the soles.

People attach solar panels and wind generators that charge their EV... Free driving!!!!:rollercoaster:

People attach solar panels and wind generators that charge their EV... Free driving!!!!:rollercoaster:
Sure. :frown2:

Small solar installations are a complete waste of resources. Look up the Lazard study that shows the LCOE (Levelized Cost Of Energy) for various generation technologies. Utility-scale solar is the least expensive energy on the planet, but small-scale (residential rooftop and smaller) is the highest, short of small gas/diesel generators.

Without tax subsidies, rooftop solar would make absolutely no financial sense for anyone. What makes it worse is that rooftop sytems require expensive upgrades to the distribution grid, which raises the cost of electricity for everyone else.

This should win a Hugo award for creative science fiction:

Reduces Dirty EMF Electricity​

The patent-pending magnetic filter removes carbon from the electrical circuit helping to significantly reduce your exposure to harmful electromagnetic radiation (EMF/EMR) generated by your electronics, appliances, and dirty electrical system.​

"The average home takes 2-3 weeks to stabilize the current and filter the EMF dirty electricity. Therefore, please allow up to 6-8 weeks to start seeing the benefits and results."

Wow.

I dove down into the weeds just for fun. The Fractal Water gizmo costs $2,250 or so! That is high priced ********!

-Skip

"The average home takes 2-3 weeks to stabilize the current and filter the EMF dirty electricity. Therefore, please allow up to 6-8 weeks to start seeing the benefits and results."

Wow.

It's also amazing that they give you 60 days to return it if you don't see results. Oh wait ... :oops:

Sad part is ... I suspect the friend that sent this to me was actually recommending it.

It's also amazing that they give you 60 days to return it if you don't see results. Oh wait ... :oops:

Sad part is ... I suspect the friend that sent this to me was actually recommending it.
That's OK. If I had to choose between friends that were either: a) well versed in thermodynamics or b) really kind, I'd pick 'b' in a heartbeat.

I don't know about all the hate on Amazon. I recently bought something there, I thought was a total scam, one of those Chinese B.S. products but it's actually really cool and works as it should.

Screen Shot 2023-12-26 at 10.33.33 PM.png

Back