[NA] Todays rant: obsolescence.

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
High dollar garden hose, bogus excuse of a female termination is leaking in excess (it’s not the gasket).
In a hurry, can’t return it for warranty so hack off the bad end, install a replacement, it too leaks.
See photos for why.
There is a manufactured bead on the inside so you can’t just pop in a new fitting…I even carefully trimmed it off and the new fitting still leaks. Haven’t given up yet, but Why?!

Attachments

• IMG_3328.jpeg
    IMG_3328.jpeg
    799.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3329.jpeg
    IMG_3329.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3330.jpeg
    IMG_3330.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
One of mine used aluminum fittings. Had to gar the hell out of my spigot and use a torch to warm it over and get it to break free. So dumb.

I don’t know if that’s “planned obselescence”. There are hose fittings which go around the outside of the hose with a threaded insert that tightens the hose to the fitting. Trim the bead down, screw in the insert and you’re good to go.

The fittings are getting hard to find though.

Looks like a welded seam instead of an extrusion. Must be cheaper to manufacture.

I think that thing keeps it from shutting off entirely when it kinks. I’ve dealt with the same thing on mine. I’ve used an X-acto knife made as a loop to cut it back a bit then put on a repair fitting and it has worked fine.

Back