NA TiVo versus cable company DVR

Scrabo

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Scrabo
We have Cox tv service with a 6 tuner DVR that is a POC. It has constant lockups that require rebooting several times a week. Cox has replaced the box many times and I guess all their boxes are POC.

So started thinking about maybe getting a TiVo, so the question is, does a TiVo totally replace a company DVR/tuner box or is the TiVo capable of acting as a tuner ?

We have Cox tv service with a 6 tuner DVR that is a POC. It has constant lockups that require rebooting several times a week. Cox has replaced the box many times and I guess all their boxes are POC.

So started thinking about maybe getting a TiVo, so the question is, does a TiVo totally replace a company DVR/tuner box or is the TiVo capable of acting as a tuner ?
I have a Tivo. It replaces the cable box. Mine has two tuners. My new one which isn't installed yet, has 6. It replaces the cable box completely since it will get on demand. There is a new Tivo which was announced the day after I bought my new one which is smaller in size, bigger in apabilities.
They are all Internet ready and can get to most of the major services.

Don't you have to pay for the guide service from Tivo? You still probably have to rent the cable card which would be cheap. Cheapest solution is a Windows 7 PC with a cable card tuner and renting a cable card. HTPC (home theater PC.) That is what I do. Thought I would mention it.

David

Back