[NA]TIG welder 220v receptacle[NA]

Best is to check the installation instructions for advice. That socket would likely work, but may be overkill. Usually a socket with the lowest amp rating that meets or exceeds the device's amp rating will be the most economical. You need to know the input amps, not the output which is likely higher. Also, check the wire gauge if using existing wiring. A 50 amp socket on 10 gauge wire is not kosher.

The plug you have pictured is the most common one I’ve seen on welders.

That's a common one. I have a couple of different adapters for my welder, so if I take it somewhere else I don't have to wire up a new plug. Just FYI, welders are one of those things where you can sometimes/often use conductors that are sized for an intermittent vs continuous load. So if you're wiring a circuit for one you may want to keep that in mind. Refer to current NEC and any local codes. I usually use 6-30 twistlock for my 250A inverter TIG. It would probably be 50 if it were a transformer unit, guessing.

Its a 24” run from meter
Planning on a pair of 6awg; haven’t decided on the ground size

6g will work if it's copper. 10g will work for ground (if copper).

Welders have different rules when it comes to sizing things, but most of the manuals take this into account in their instructions when it tells you what size breaker/circuit to use.

Back