NA - Thinking of a 2015 Jaguar XJ

kep5niner

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Pete
Well I might take a deal on a 2015 Jaguar XJ with a little over 50k miles. My folks are looking to off-load it, but I’m not sure it’s something I want. The car is in excellent shape, with the supercharged 3.0L AWD. A drawback is that it’s black, and out of warranty. I’ve owned black cars before, but that’s not my preferred color. While I take exceptional care of my vehicles, black just seems like a losing battle - and this would be my wife’s daily driver.

I’m more of a Ford guy, but this would be a suitable vehicle for my wife. I’ve never owned a Jag, but there is a relationship with Ford in there somewhere.

Maybe @TedDuPuis has some input? Any pitfalls I need to be concerned about? Mx support a consideration? I turn the wrenches on all of my equipment, can’t imagine a Jag would put me in the poor house with nickel and dime Mx.

Am I missing anything? Thanks for the sounding board.

Why would anyone buy anything if " I’m not sure it’s something I want..."?

Just starting with that, and leaving out the Jaguar part.... Why?

It’s a screaming deal, but not sure the juice is worth the squeeze. Hence, the question.

Ok..fair point. I don't have any experience with Jags post Ford merger. The ones prior are gorgeous cars but I wouldn't go near one without either a large wallet, a lot of mechanical skills, a lot of spare time, or a great backup vehicle. Preferably, all four. Personally, having said that, I'd STILL consider one. Of course, I've owned Range Rovers and Fiats, so I'm obviously kind of warped.

Given the small amount of information in you OP, I'd walk away from a "screaming deal" from your folks in the interest of future familial harmony, and suggest they sell. It to a third party for a bit more money. Everyone will be happier.

Good points and I did take that familial harmony into consideration. Over 20 years ago I bought an old Jeep Cherokee from my folks - really cheap, more of an off-road toy. The Jeep had an engine fire a couple months later - total loss. No hard feelings on either side of the table. It’s business.

One of the significant considerations is my wife really likes this Jag. So really tryin to ascertain any real gotcha details to the XJ - for instance, particular years, engine, transmissions or models to avoid. Or....avoid the whole thing. But it is a very nice car.

I believe 2015 was one of the last years of that engine so most of the bugs should be worked out. The transmission is a ZF unit used in all kinds of vehicles so that wouldn’t worry me. You will undoubtably face the occasional electrical gremlin which will likely be an annoyance than leave you stranded. I would check on upcoming routine maintenance to see what to expect timing belt or otherwise.

I know a bit about Jaguars myself, and the XJ is Jaguar's best sedan.

It's a design that's been developed since 1968, and has always been a great automobile.

I've owned more than a few, and wouldn't think twice about another.

The 3.0L 6-cyl is a good motor, and if it has enough spunk for you, you'll save gas over the V8

The stories of the 1970s/80s cars get old. Yeah, I get it. This is a 2015, and the car is fine.

I'd not really want the 3.0L, but that's just me. The XJ is a heavy, long sedan. The XJ-R is pretty salty, though. Just remember that they will continue to depreciate fairly rapidly as they aren't the most notable luxury sedan despite being a solid car. So if it's priced low enough that you can outpace depreciation for a few years, I'd say go for it.

I don't know anything about that year XJ. Really I stopped following the Jaguars produced after 2003 when they changed the styling, in my opinion for the worse. The newer ones (around the mid 2010s, like what you're looking at) I think they started to get it back, but new cars don't do much for me. The XJ is a neat looking car, probably not something I'd pick. I can't say whether it's a good or reliable car, but I don't imagine it's any different really than any of its competitors.

If your wife likes it, that's a big consideration and that tells me you should buy it, make it her car. It's ok for you and your wife to like different cars. My wife loves her GL550. I don't really like driving it and I really don't like working on it, but she loves driving it and that's what matters. The XKR we both love. The Ram I love but she prefers her Mercedes. Whatever we get for an RV tow-behind is likely going to be something I love more than her.

You own a 53 year old twin piston engine airplane fergawdsake.
The Jag will be a pussycat to keep in comparison. :D
Buy it, and enjoy the smile on your better-half's face.

It’s a screaming deal, but not sure the juice is worth the squeeze. Hence, the question.

Screaming deal + wife likes car = buy the car

If she ends up not liking it, or it's demon possessed, you should be able to flip it for at least what you have in it.

No brainer to me.

My ex-wife had a thing for Jaguar XJ’s. We owned two, both purchased very lightly used: a 1985 XJ6 and a 2000 XJR. Both were an order of magnitude less reliable than other cars we owned, and I would never own another.

But that’s just me - if one goes in eyes open and the price is right - and you need another hobby - I’d say go for it.

Back