[NA] Thinking about replacing windows in house

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
Sure, we've got room for another 'Thinking about..' thread, right!?

Somewhat a spin-off of my previous Thinking about moving and renting out current house thread, we have decided to stay put where we are for the time being. With that in mind, we're willing to continue to invest in our current spot for our own comfort.

Our house was built in 1995 with run-of-the-mill contractor grade materials of the time. We live in Georgia, which can have a *little* heat and humidity in the summer. In the summer, it seems like the A/C (full system replaced ~5 years ago) runs nearly full time on the hot days. Over the past couple of years of 'letting' my 12 y/o son mow the yard, we've also acquired a few shattered exterior panes in a couple of the windows facing the back yard. I've also noticed sweating around windows in the bathroom, etc. In short, there are several reasons why I think it would be beneficial to replace at least the majority of the windows in our house - both for increased insulation/energy efficiency and for improved aesthetic of not having broken window panes. Several years ago, I got suckered into paying a door-to-door sales guy to replace the windows in our west-facing room that sits over the garage and it made a noticeable difference in how much heat is blocked from entering that room. The only downside was that we paid through the nose for them to do it.

So... Being that I'm fairly handy, having just completed a complete downstairs remodel, I'm kicking around the idea of starting to replace the windows in our house. My question is - is this one of those things where if you can find the right contractor, they can source and install the materials cheaper than you can buy them retail yourself? If not, are there brands known to have issues in quality? Are there brands that you end up paying for the brand name and historical build quality more than the current build quality? Any other tips/suggestions?

I can't speak to the current pricing, but we had 23 windows replaced in our house back in 2019 and it worked out to roughly $500/window installed. Nothing particularly fancy, but good, quality double-hung windows with a decorative "prairie grid" in between the panes. Now, we were replacing original 1960s single-pane non-tempered windows so the difference in efficiency was immediately beneficial from HVAC standpoint, but the sound suppression from outside noises was the most immediately noticeable. It took them 2 or 3 days to finish it all up, and I wouldn't have taken on that kind of project. I've replaced on or two windows on other houses and it's a hassle as it is to cut out a flanged window and replace with non-flanged. I'd hire it out if you're doing more than a couple of them.

Oooh boy I just finished replacing all the windows in my house and let me tell you it was not fun writing that check. I'm on a lake, replacing 30 year old Marvin wood frame windows and multiple custom sliding doors. We opted for the fiberglass "Elevate" frames because they hold up better to the constant barrage of wind, rain, and freeze/thaw cycles we get.

Three floors, with 9 sets of sliding doors, and nearly every window a custom size all added up to a $100k bill for materials + installation. It took a two-man crew about a week to tear out and install everything, and then another week for the guy to stain the trim when it was all done. Waiting on everything from Marvin took over 6 months from order to delivery and of course they screwed things up which meant waiting another 3 months for the replacements.

We could've saved money doing it ourselves, but the labor involved with tearing out rotted wooden windows, repairing the house framing, and installing the new ones made my back hurt just watching the crew do it.

My Church is replacing 79 windows - I wish the bill would come in at only $100,000

My Church is replacing 79 windows - I wish the bill would come in at only $100,000

Yep the cheap guys making stained glass went the way of the dodo.

I should clarify that we don't have any strained glass windows. All clear glass (most of the panes are original from 1926). All windows are larger than you typically see in homes

I can't speak to the current pricing, but we had 23 windows replaced in our house back in 2019 and it worked out to roughly $500/window installed.
It's now basically $1K a hole for a quality vinyl window installed. Having just built a house, windows are one of those things inflation hit way out of proportion to reality but what are going to do?

It's now basically $1K a hole for a quality vinyl window installed. Having just built a house, windows are one of those things inflation hit way out of proportion to reality but what are going to do?
I get it. I replaced two exterior doors which were purchased in 2022 from a big box store, just the typical pre-hung metal door with full lite/mini blinds in glass. $700/ea + tax for each door. Same door at Home Depot run over $1K now. 50% increase in price over 2 years seems a bit much, lol.

Did the whole house with the best brand I could find, Pella and purchased the top offering they had.
Had the tech out 3x in the first 6mo. Still finding windows that won't close properly and sealant strips that are falling out. (it's not an installation problem, Pella has confirmed this to me)
I'm not convinced any other brand is going to be any better.

I need to replace a casement window in the kitchen that's about 36 x 40. I ordered the unit last year but never got to it before winter. This ran $780.

The brand is Mathews Brothers... they're made in Maine but I don't know if they're available nationwide. The quality seems top notch...I've used them in my rentals and have been really impressed with the look and feel.

1714610870161.png

Did the whole house with the best brand I could find, Pella and purchased the top offering they had.
Had the tech out 3x in the first 6mo. Still finding windows that won't close properly and sealant strips that are falling out. (it's not an installation problem, Pella has confirmed this to me)
I'm not convinced any other brand is going to be any better.
I’ve heard the worst things about Pella, both in terms of mistakes made by the factory and especially poor installation. I think finding a quality installer is more important than the brand.

When we did our home we interviewed 3 different contractors to figure out who would get the job done on time and do it right. The Pella guy we spoke to knew the least about his product, had the most heavily booked install crew, and generally acted like he didn’t have 15 minutes to talk to a potential customer looking to spend 6-figures cause he just wanted to get to the next client and end his day.

I’ve heard the worst things about Pella, both in terms of mistakes made by the factory and especially poor installation. I think finding a quality installer is more important than the brand.

When we did our home we interviewed 3 different contractors to figure out who would get the job done on time and do it right. The Pella guy we spoke to knew the least about his product, had the most heavily booked install crew, and generally acted like he didn’t have 15 minutes to talk to a potential customer looking to spend 6-figures cause he just wanted to get to the next client and end his day.
I do tend to agree that Pella/Anderson are often overpriced compared to what you seem to get. They are premium brands at big box stores, but they also seem to have a lineup available at Lowes/HD, but a separate lineup from their independent contractors. There aren't an absolute TON of window/door manufacturers anyway, so a lot of windows get made in one place and different brand names slapped on them. As a specific point, Pella storm doors are made by Larson in the same factory as Larson storm doors. I only know that because I just bought the Larson door after researching Pella/Larson/Anderson options and finding out that info removed a bit of the alure of buying the Pella unit from a quality standpoint.

If you are handy and the existing frames are in good shape, doing replacement window inserts yourself is really a pretty simple task. I did our previous house and it took less than an hour a window to do from start to finish. Now, if you have things like large bay or picture windows I would recommend hiring someone to just do all the windows at once for you. Lager windows are not as easy to do yourself and you usually end up replacing the whole window, frame and all instead of using replacement inserts. Most companies don't want to do just a single large window and will charge you an arm and a leg if that's all you want done. If you have them do all the windows including any large bay or picture windows the total price will likely be close to what you could do it for yourself including hiring out any large windows individully.

I think windows themselves are not expensive but the install is. If you have basic standard size windows perhaps try doing one yourself? Aren’t they like $150-200 each at HD? I’ve never done windows myself though.

I am a residential contractor in the Florida panhandle and specialize in doing door and window replacement and new construction installation. I would be happy to give you tips and tricks on both purchasing and installation if you would like. Stay away from the big box stores when purchasing multiple units as they carry the cheaper lines from even name brand companies. Also, the customer service can sometimes be lacking. Best bet is to find a nearby distributor that has great customer service and buy through them. That way they will take care of any manufacturer errors which happen almost every single job that I do regardless of the manufacturer or how expensive the units themselves are. Send me a message if you would like more information and I will send you my number to help out however I can. It can be done by a handy person but is very important to do it right the first time so you don’t have air and water infiltration down the road that may cost 5 digits or more to repair. Let me know if you have any questions.

The brand is Mathews Brothers... they're made in Maine but I don't know if they're available nationwide. The quality seems top notch...I've used them in my rentals and have been really impressed with the look and feel.
Mathews Brothers is what we used in our new house. It's only been a year but zero problems.

Got 2 quotes, waiting on the 3rd. First place was a local installer company, using Lindsay windows, 20 windows, 23k. Second was a larger place, using Marvin windows, on sale came out to 38k. I was good with about AMU per window, but 1700 each is a big jump for a more name brand window.

Back