[NA] The key point [NA]

Ravioli

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Unwanted Guest - Perma-ban Pending
I'm such a dummy much of the time.

A couple weeks ago I misplaced my car's key fob. I just grabbed the other one, that doesn't adjust my seat automagically, and soldiered on.

Then last week I misplaced my fob for Lisa's car. So I just used hers and, again, suffered adjusting the seat.

ARGH!

Today I decided to figure it out.

I got in my car and hit the start button with no known fob. It started right up instead of telling me "No Key." A complete search with a flashlight and there was my fob, stuck in the crack between my seat and seat back. ARGH!

Same test on Lisa's car. VROOMM... fires right up without known fob. This one took about 15 minutes to find, stuffed next to the passenger seat rail. Needed to move the seat forward to retrieve it.

We had her car in Houston all week, with the keys in it. If someone had tried to take it they could have.

Question: Shouldn't the doors refuse to lock when a key is in the car?

I dunno, but with my car, if you leave the keys in the trunk, let's just say like in a golf bag, when you close the trunk it'll automatically pop open, which I think is pretty cool. you know, for those stupid enough to leave their keys in their golf bag when they put it in the trunk...….

A couple weeks ago I misplaced my car's key fob. I just grabbed the other one, that doesn't adjust my seat automagically, and soldiered on.

Then last week I misplaced my fob for Lisa's car. So I just used hers and, again, suffered adjusting the seat.

ARGH!

I got in my car and hit the start button with no known fob. It started right up instead of telling me "No Key." A complete search with a flashlight and there was my fob, stuck in the crack between my seat and seat back. ARGH!

Same test on Lisa's car. VROOMM... fires right up without known fob. This one took about 15 minutes to find, stuffed next to the passenger seat rail. Needed to move the seat forward to retrieve it.

We had her car in Houston all week, with the keys in it. If someone had tried to take it they could have.

Many cars will lock if you're locking it with a different key fob for that car. Even if one is inside. But they shouldn't lock manually absent the key fob.

Yes, the car shouldn’t lock if the key fob is inside. That’s one thing I really like about my new car. When I had the Volvo, it just had the standard key to stick into the ignition and of course could be locked inside the vehicle. On my GTI, that can’t happen. It’s also nice to just hop in, push the start button and drive off...that is of course, if the key fob is within range.

I once threw my suit jacket in the back of the car. Just as the rear hatch latched, I realized my keys and fob were in the jacked. I was locked out. After that experience, I changed the settings so it would not lock with the fob in the car.

I know of a guy that carries his keys in his right front pants pocket. One time he lost his keys. He spent over an hour looking for them. Then he found them in his left front pants pocket.

I have never put my keys in the left front pocket since....

I know of a guy that carries his keys in his right front pants pocket. One time he lost his keys. He spent over an hour looking for them. Then he found them in his left front pants pocket.

I have never put my keys in the left front pocket since....

I have always carried my keys in my left front pocket. My right front pocket is reserved for a knife. In high school, that was a knife good enough to eat with; a work knife rode with the keys, for cutting wires, opening bottles and other jobs too rough for my good knife.

Right now I'm carrying a Victorinox Tinker because my Buck Prince needs to go back for repair. Got a Gerber lockback somewhere (moved too many times, lots of things are "somewhere" . . . . ).

A fob is basically a key. Keys go on a key ring. Key ring goes in pocket. Problem solved.

It kind of depends on the car/fob system. We have a POS Dodge Journey that will in fact keep the doors locked if you leave the fob in the car. Some are smart enough to detect there are no people inside and that the doors should not lock.

I dunno, I actually leave the keys locked in the truck on purpose frequently. I have the door keypad I can use to get into the vehicle without the key fob. It’s handy for when I’m going somewhere that makes finding a lost key extremely unlikely (amusement parks/airport/etc). My truck doesn’t use a proximity key fob, but I’d be annoyed if I lost the ability to store the keys in the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My car has a fob but also a pad on the door, unless you forget you code you are golden

My car has a fob but also a pad on the door, unless you forget you code you are golden
Most every vehicle I've had with the key pad gives you the option to set the code to whatever you want. Makes it harder to forget than the factory code.

Most every vehicle I've had with the key pad gives you the option to set the code to whatever you want. Makes it harder to forget than the factory code.
Yeah, but folks can and do forget their code, even if they programmed it, if they don't use it often.

ARGH!

Yup. Oh, and zip up the pocket you are using if in a jacket, or find another if not.

Back