NA - The Internet of Things

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
Anyone started down the road toward home (and everything else) automation and interconnectivity?

I have taken the first baby step, installing a wifi light switch in our pool house at the hotel. (This after getting drenched going back there to turn the stupid thing on.)

I went with the Wemo switch by Belkin. It was easy to install (although the back of it is pretty thick, being a wifi radio.), and seems to work just fine. It does have to be connected to wifi to work. You control it with an app on your smartphone, and it's got all sorts of timers and options.

In the "gee whiz this is cool" category, on Tuesday night I was able to display our hotel's surveillance system on the 60" Samsung at our hangar, and watch as I remotely turned the pool light on. Pretty slick.

Now I'm looking to add other things. I'd like a Bluetooth (or NFC) lock on the hangar (no more fiddling with a combination lock), and maybe some smart deadbolts at the hotel.

Anyone gone down this road? There are a zillion different options, standards, protocols and companies right now, and you gotta wonder who will survive in the long term.

Some of us had X-10 before X-10 was cool. Haha.

I wouldn't put RF or power line remote light switches in the "gee whiz" category anymore, and I definitely don't need my fridge or my washing machine needing me to approve weekly firmware updates on them.

Same thing with no-touch locks. Not exactly new. Card key systems have been available from your local security dealer for a couple of decades now.

And local and remote security cameras... Not new either.

Some of us had X-10 before X-10 was cool. Haha.

I wouldn't put RF or power line remote light switches in the "gee whiz" category anymore, and I definitely don't need my fridge or my washing machine needing me to approve weekly firmware updates on them.

Same thing with no-touch locks. Not exactly new. Card key systems have been available from your local security dealer for a couple of decades now.

And local and remote security cameras... Not new either.

True, but what makes all this stuff new is that it can all work together.

Somehow. Some way. :eek:

It's not new either, but I just installed a wifi-enabled thermostat. The packaging and instructions were very Apple-esque and the system works great. I can check to see what the thermostat is set to anywhere, as if we forget to turn it down when we leave the house we aren't resigned to paying for it. . .the ROI might be 15 years but hell, the last thermostat lasted at least 18.

I got one of those for Christmas! We have a house in Destin and I am always worried that the last person out didn't turn the A/C up high enough or the heat down low enough! I don't know the pay back, but the comfort factor is big for me. I will install it in the next week or two. :D

It's not new either, but I just installed a wifi-enabled thermostat. The packaging and instructions were very Apple-esque and the system works great. I can check to see what the thermostat is set to anywhere, as if we forget to turn it down when we leave the house we aren't resigned to paying for it. . .the ROI might be 15 years but hell, the last thermostat lasted at least 18.

I guess I'm not as cool as some people. So far the extent of my automation is putting a timed switch on the noisy-ass bathroom vent fan so that I don't keep forgetting to turn it off, to the consternation of my wife.

So yeah, the inter-connectivity and remote monitoring and control is still very interesting to me. When it gets to the point where the standards are more established so the different toys talk to each other, I will probably put more effort into it.

Sorry if you and I aren't as cool as some people Jay.

Insteon has been around forever (the evolution of X10) and is the most reliable with a good selection of devices. Z-Wave are the hipsters of HA that work pretty well and has the newest gizmos at the expense of some reliability. Wemo is the Windows Mobile of HA. Few devices, a token "works with wemo" effort, but nobody takes them seriously. Belkin also has a history of dropping their products at the drop of a hat. Any other protocols are also-rans and can be ignored, no matter how technologically superior they're hyped.

If you want door locks you're pretty much limited to Insteon or Z-Wave. Again, anything else is either proprietary, side projects or startups. Door locks are not something you replace often. The Z-wave Yale locks are really nice. Kevo doesn't work that great, is just one company, and they want you to pay for the privilege of unlocking your door.

Pick the system that has most of the devices you want. Mixing systems can be done but usually means using two or more apps to access all your devices. All in one hubs promise integration but seldom deliver. For example, I have Wink in my shop and it can run the Z-Wave lights and door locks, as well as the wifi thermostat. But Wink's thermostat integration is so bad I end up using the separate Honeywell app.

I chose the Belkin Wemo because it doesn't require a special "hub". It just connects to your wifi and WORKS.
To me, that makes more sense than a specialized hub.

Thread drift, but I always think of this short story by Ray Bradbury when the subject of interconnected smart homes arises.

Forgive the formatting.

In the living room the voice-clock sang, Tick-tock, seven o'clock, time to get up, time to get up, seven o'clock! as if it were afraid that nobody would. The morning house lay empty. The clock ticked on, repeating and repeating its sounds into the emptiness. Seven-nine, breakfast time, seven-nine!
In the kitchen the breakfast stove gave a hissing sigh and ejected from its warm interior eight pieces of perfectly browned toast, eight eggs sunnyside up, sixteen slices of bacon, two coffees, and two cool glasses of milk.
"Today is August 4, 2026," said a second voice from the kitchen ceiling, "in the city of Allendale, California." It repeated the date three times for memory's sake. "Today is Mr. Featherstone's birthday. Today is the anniversary of Tilita's marriage. Insurance is payable, as are the water, gas, and light bills." Somewhere in the walls, relays clicked, memory tapes glided under electric eyes.
Eight-one, tick-tock, eight-one o'clock, off to school, off to work, run, run, eight-one! But no doors slammed, no carpets took the soft tread of rubber heels. It was raining outside. The weather box on the front door sang quietly: "Rain, rain, go away; rubbers, raincoats for today..."
And the rain tapped on the empty house, echoing.
Outside, the garage chimed and lifted its door to reveal the waiting car. After a long wait the door swung down again.
At eight-thirty the eggs were shrivelled and the toast was like stone. An aluminium wedge scraped them into the sink, where hot water whirled them down a metal throat which digested and flushed them away to the distant sea. The dirty dishes were dropped into a hot washer and emerged twinkling dry.
Nine-fifteen, sang the clock, time to clean.
Out of warrens in the wall, tiny robot mice darted. The rooms were acrawl with the small cleaning animals, all rubber and metal. They thudded against chairs, whirling their moustached runners, kneading the rug nap, sucking gently at hidden dust. Then, like mysterious invaders, they popped into their burrows. Their pink electric eyes faded. The house was clean.
Ten o'clock. The sun came out from behind the rain. The house stood alone in a city of rubble and ashes. This was the one house left standing. At night the ruined city gave off a radioactive glow which could be seen for miles.
Ten-fifteen. The garden sprinklers whirled up in golden founts, filling the soft morning air with scatterings of brightness. The water pelted windowpanes, running down the charred west side where the house had been burned evenly free of its white paint. The entire west face of the house was black, save for five places. Here the silhouette in paint of a man mowing a lawn. Here, as in a photograph, a woman bent to pick

flowers. Still farther over, their images burned on wood in one titanic instant, a small boy, hands flung into the air; higher up, the image of a thrown ball, and opposite him a girl, hands raised to catch a ball which never came down.
The five spots of paint
the man, the woman, the children, the ballremained. The rest was a thin charcoaled layer.
The gentle sprinkler rain filled the garden with falling light.
Until this day, how well the house had kept its peace. How carefully it had inquired, "Who goes there? What's the password?" and, getting no answer from lonely foxes and whining cats, it had shut up its windows and drawn shades in an old maidenly preoccupation with self-protection which bordered on a mechanical paranoia.
It quivered at each sound, the house did. If a sparrow brushed a window, the shade snapped up. The bird, startled, flew off! No, not even a bird must touch the house!
The house was an altar with ten thousand attendants, big, small, servicing, attending, in choirs. But the gods had gone away, and the ritual of the religion continued senselessly, uselessly.
Twelve noon.
A dog whined, shivering, on the front porch.
The front door recognized the dog voice and opened. The dog, once huge and fleshy, but now gone to bone and covered with sores, moved in and through the house, tracking mud. Behind it whirred angry mice, angry at having to pick up mud, angry at inconvenience.
For not a leaf fragment blew under the door but what the wall panels flipped open and the copper scrap rats flashed swiftly out. The offending dust, hair, or paper, seized in miniature steel jaws, was raced back to the burrows. There, down tubes which fed into the cellar, it was dropped into the sighing vent of an incinerator which sat like evil Baal in a dark corner.
The dog ran upstairs, hysterically yelping to each door, at last realizing, as the house realized, that only silence was here.
It sniffed the air
and scratched
the kitchen door.
Behind the door,
the stove was
making

pancakes which filled the house with a rich baked odour and the scent of maple syrup.
The dog frothed at the mouth, lying at the door, sniffing, its eyes turned to fire. It ran wildly in circles, biting at its tail, spun in a frenzy, and died. It lay in the parlour for an hour.

Two o'clock, sang a voice.
Delicately sensing decay at last, the regiments of mice hummed out as softly as blown grey leaves in an electrical wind.
Two-fifteen.
The dog was gone.
In the cellar, the incinerator glowed suddenly and a whirl of sparks leaped up the chimney.
Two thirty-five.
Bridge tables sprouted from patio walls. Playing cards fluttered onto pads in a shower of pips. Martinis manifested on an oaken bench with egg-salad sandwiches. Music played.
But the tables were silent and the cards untouched.

At four o'clock the tables folded like great butterflies back through the panelled walls.
Four-thirty.
The nursery walls glowed.
Animals took shape: yellow giraffes, blue lions, pink antelopes, lilac panthers cavorting in crystal substance. The walls were glass. They looked out upon colour and fantasy. Hidden films docked through well-oiled sprockets, and the walls lived. The nursery floor was woven to resemble a crisp, cereal meadow. Over this ran aluminium roaches and iron crickets, and in the hot still air butterflies of delicate red tissue wavered among the sharp aroma of animal spoors! There was the sound like a great matted yellow hive of bees within a dark bellows, the lazy bumble of a purring lion. And there was the patter of okapi feet and the murmur of a fresh jungle rain, like other hoofs, falling upon the summer-starched grass. Now the walls dissolved into distances of parched weed, mile on mile, and warm endless sky. The animals drew away into thorn brakes and water holes.
It was the children's hour.

Five o'clock. The bath filled with clear hot water.
Six, seven, eight o'clock. The dinner dishes manipulated like magic tricks, and in the study a click. In the metal stand opposite the hearth where a fire now blazed up warmly, a cigar popped out, half an inch of soft grey ash on it, smoking, waiting.
Nine o'clock. The beds warmed their hidden circuits, for nights were cool here.
Nine-five. A voice spoke from the study ceiling:
"Mrs. McClellan, which poem would you like this evening?"
The house was silent.
The voice said at last, "Since you express no preference, I shall select a poem at random."
Quiet music rose to back the voice. "Sara Teasdale. As I
recall, your favou
rite....
"There will come soft rains and the smell of the ground, And swallows circling with their shimmering sound; And frogs in the pools singing at night,
And wild plum trees in tremulous white;

Robins will wear their feathery fire, Whistling their whims on a low fence-wire; And not one will know of the war, not one Will care at last when it is done.
Not one would mind, neither bird nor tree, if mankind perished utterly;
And Spring herself, when she woke at dawn Would scarcely know that we were gone."

The fire burned on the stone hearth and the cigar fell away into a mound of quiet ash on its tray. The empty chairs faced each other between the silent walls, and the music played.
At ten o'clock the house began to die.
The wind blew. A failing tree bough crashed through the kitchen window. Cleaning solvent, bottled, shattered over the stove. The room was ablaze in an instant!

"Fire!" screamed a voice. The house lights flashed, water pumps shot water from the ceilings. But the solvent spread on the linoleum, licking, eating, under the kitchen door, while the voices took it up in chorus: "Fire, fire, fire!"
The house tried to save itself. Doors sprang tightly shut, but the windows were broken by the heat and the wind blew and sucked upon the fire.

The house gave ground as the fire in ten billion angry sparks moved with flaming ease from room to room and then up the stairs. While scurrying water rats squeaked from the walls, pistoled their water, and ran for more. And the wall sprays let down showers of mechanical rain.
But too late. Somewhere, sighing, a pump shrugged to a stop. The quenching rain ceased. The reserve water supply which had filled baths and washed dishes for many quiet days was gone.

The fire crackled up the stairs. It fed upon Picassos and Matisses in the upper halls, like delicacies, baking off the oily flesh, tenderly crisping the canvases into black shavings.

Now the fire lay in beds, stood in windows, changed the colours of drapes!
And then, reinforcements.
From attic trapdoors, blind robot faces peered down with faucet mouths gushing green chemical. The fire backed off, as even an elephant must at the sight of a dead snake. Now there were twenty snakes whipping over the floor, killing the fire with a clear cold venom of green froth.
But the fire was clever. It had sent flames outside the house, up through the attic to the pumps there. An explosion! The attic brain which directed the pumps was shattered into bronze shrapnel on the beams.
The fire rushed back into every closet and felt of the clothes hung there.

The house shuddered, oak bone on bone, its bared skeleton cringing from the heat, its wire, its nerves revealed as if a surgeon had torn the skin off to let the red veins and capillaries quiver in the scalded air. Help, help! Fire! Run, run! Heat snapped mirrors like the brittle winter ice. And the voices wailed Fire, fire, run, run, like a tragic nursery rhyme, a dozen voices, high, low, like children dying in a forest, alone, alone. And the voices fading as the wires popped their sheathings like hot chestnuts. One, two, three, four, five voices died.
In the nursery the jungle burned. Blue lions roared, purple giraffes bounded off. The panthers ran in circles, changing colour, and ten million animals, running before the fire, vanished off toward a distant steaming river....
Ten more voices died. In the last instant under the fire avalanche, other choruses, oblivious, could be heard announcing the time, playing music, cutting the lawn by remote-control mower, or setting an umbrella frantically out and in the slamming and opening front door, a thousand things happening, like a clock shop when each clock strikes the hour insanely before or after the other, a scene of maniac confusion, yet unity; singing, screaming, a few last cleaning mice darting bravely out to carry the horrid ashes away! And one voice, with sublime disregard for the situation, read poetry aloud in the fiery study, until all the film spools burned, until all the wires withered and the circuits cracked.
The fire burst the house and let it slam flat down, puffing out skirts of spark and smoke. In the kitchen, an instant before the rain of fire and timber, the stove could be seen making breakfasts at a psychopathic rate, ten dozen eggs, six loaves of toast, twenty dozen bacon strips, which, eaten by fire, started the stove working again, hysterically hissing!
The crash. The attic smashing into kitchen and parlour. The parlour into cellar, cellar into sub-cellar. Deep freeze, armchair, film tapes, circuits, beds, and all like skeletons thrown in a cluttered mound deep under. Smoke and silence. A great quantity of smoke.
Dawn showed faintly in the east. Among the ruins, one wall stood alone. Within the wall, a last voice said, over and over again and again, even as the sun rose to shine upon the heaped rubble and steam:

"Today is August 5, 2026, today is August 5, 2026, today is..."

First time I've heard someone quote "There Will Come Soft Rains" :thumbsup:

I've always wondered how long the house kept going after the initial war.

I have the Philips HUE wifi led lights. Kinda cool to wake up to a fake sunrise every morning during the winter. It's also neat to just turn the place bright pink or some other horrible color just for kicks, while showing it to friends.

It's not like Bradbury to miss a technical detail like EMP, which would have killed the house dead instantly in a nuclear war. Unless he was instead suggesting a nuclear accident, which I doubt. Surprising.

I've been inside the sausage factory for too long to want to introduce more software into my home.

I have Schlage (Intermatic) ZWave locks on my house in NC. They work well. You can change the locks, lock them, temporarily unlock them, and get notifications when the doors are opened with the combination (and which of the combinations used to open them). This was really handy when I had contractors. I'd create a combo for them and I know when they were there.

ZWave is an RF (rather than power line like X.10) system. It also has the advantage that each device in the system no matter what it is forms part of the network so that it will potentially relay messages for those further away.

Aren't you people that are doing this automation worried that your house might become self aware? Like Skynet?

My youngest and I are working our way up.

34476e1dd67cbbae426ab0ca9c451d81.jpg

I've been inside the sausage factory for too long to want to introduce more software into my home.

Aren't you people that are doing this automation worried that your house might become self aware? Like Skynet?

Hell no. The coders are not nearly that bright. The most likely outcome is one more thing that is constantly broken and needs Internet to download "a fix" for. Which will fix one thing and break two more.

I was mildly amazed the automated firmware update to my smart thermostat didn't brick the thing and make the house cold and the pipes freeze. I think that's plenty enough automation for me.

I was mildly amazed the automated firmware update to my smart thermostat didn't brick the thing and make the house cold and the pipes freeze. I think that's plenty enough automation for me.

I love automation and interconnectivity. Until it doesn't work. Then, it sucks. The period of suckage usually coincides with a time/day when I don't have hours to troubleshoot/fix some gizmo.

Which is why I'd prefer not to have it on critical systems in my house.

I have one of these thermostats:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/37337634

My wife accuses me of changing the target temp while I'm away from home. She also has no idea how to work it except via the phone app.

It actually works really well, and I love the reports on the runtime of the furnace / air conditioner per hour. It hasn't failed on me one time in the years since I bought it.

I'd like to start putting some automation in our house, but since we're considering moving in a couple years my motivation is low. I've looked at the Philips Hue bulbs quite a bit and the Nest thermostat. The rest of it just doesn't seem to be quite there yet as far as usefulness for the effort I'd have to put in to get it working.

good grief - applying technology to "fix" things that aren't broken.

Just remember, the gizmos that you don't have cannot break and won't need to be fixed.

good grief - applying technology to "fix" things that aren't broken.

Just remember, the gizmos that you don't have cannot break and won't need to be fixed.
Using that philosophy, we would all be hunter-gatherers picking berries and catching rabbits with our hands.

Using that philosophy, we would all be hunter-gatherers picking berries and catching rabbits with our hands.

going to that extreme is a clue that I didn't clearly explain my point.

I've been using a system by HAI, now owned by Leviton, here: http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=60579&minisite=10251

I've had it for over 10 years, and it works great. It isn't cheap, but it can do pretty much anything you can think of.

I use it as an alarm system, lighting control and it runs an ice eater for my dock. I can set and disarm alarms, control the heat, lights and other systems remotely via my cell phone or computer. It is programmable and customer support is great although I haven't used them in a few years.

Back