[NA]That weekend boating trip?[NA]

Link no worky.

I've sat at a desk doing placid little dribble work. I do things now in the real world that desk drone people know I'm insane for doing simply because they're incapable of surviving it. I've been on boats in scary bad weather though not that bad.

You don't do bad weather stuff like that for fun and there's no novelty involved. It's a essentially mercenary operation at that point. However at least you know you are alive and present in the world while doing that instead of turning the computer off at the end of the day and wondering what it is that you actually did for the last 10 hours.

Just a thought...

Link no worky.

"Embedding disabled, click here to watch on YT"
only the embedding no worky.

Just click that sentence, to become seasick at your desk.

To borrow from Louis Armstrong - if you have to ask, you'll never know.

I say that because I have found that the sea calls people. Unlike some things, very rarely is the sea an acquired taste. People go to sea because it is in them. Look at Lord Nelson. He was quite possibly the most sea-sick prone person to ever go to sea and yet he is arguably the greatest mariner in history. He was called.

Cancelled.

Henning. Why do you like this stuff?

The people, there's a severe lack of whiny ******* and people who won't work when you get into the real sea going stuff. Seamen feel no entitlement and they are grateful when you get them home. There is no where in the world I don't have a place to stay.

To borrow from Louis Armstrong - if you have to ask, you'll never know.

I say that because I have found that the sea calls people. Unlike some things, very rarely is the sea an acquired taste. People go to sea because it is in them. Look at Lord Admiral Nelson. He was quite possibly the most sea-sick prone person to ever go to sea and yet he is arguably the greatest mariner in history. He was called.

FTFY;) He knew early on that nobody gets seasick for more than 3 days (you either get over it or die lol) so he just manned up, chucked up and got on with it.

Nice pix of a beautiful summer day in the Bering Sea!!! :D What a lot of folks do not realize the those aerial shots are taken AFTER the main storm, and the seas are the result. In a storm of any magnitude visibility is near zero because the tops of the swells are ripped off and thrown across the surface horizontally by the wind.

Last edited:
Nice pix of a beautiful summer day in the Bering Sea!!! :D What a lot of folks do not realize the those aerial shots are taken AFTER the main storm, and the seas are the result. In a storm of any magnitude visibility is near zero because the tops of the swells are ripped off and thrown across the surface horizontally by the wind.

Beauty day Eh? :D I think that's actually off the north west corner of Spain with the tide going out.

Ho boy. And I thought turbulence made me green.

You don't do bad weather stuff like that for fun and there's no novelty involved.
I wouldn't exactly say there is no novelty.

When you first start going to sea, there is a sense of pride in riding through your first heavy sea state. I remember the early days of being a midshipman on the training cruises.....we used to engage in a practice we called 'bow-jumping'. We would go up into the focsle in rough weather and try to do crazy stuff like time the pitching to jump up just as the bow was rising - then you would launch up just as the bow started to drop down. Could really catch some serious air and even touch the overhead which was at least 10-12 feet above the deck.

When you are young and fearless, there is something to be said for being able to maintain your footing and keep functioning on watch while your shipmates are puking their guts out all around you.

BUT, with that said, the novelty does wear off and you begin to look forward to calmer seas again.

For those who have experienced rough seas, the hardest thing is to hear the tv weatherman on shore say, "The storm has passed safely out to sea" without the urge to kill him.

For those who have experienced rough seas, the hardest thing is to hear the tv weatherman on shore say, "The storm has passed safely out to sea" without the urge to kill him.

LOL, there's some truth there, although I'd much rather ride out a big storm at sea than in port. It's not as comfortable but it's less stress and less likely to get the boat and crew injured. At sea you just hang on as you toss around. In port you have all these lines and cables under tension plus your stability is changed when tied to a dock and it's possible for a storm surge to turn you over at the dock killing everyone onboard like happened to one of Peter Hughes Dancer Fleet dive boats down in Central America a few years back.

On a positive note, when I'm out to sea, I'm usually not watching TV weather morons.

The one thing I will say about that, is that there is some truth to it if in the context of a hurricane. Once a hurrican goes feet dry, the storm loses alot of its energy and by the time it goes feet wet again, it is usually much less potent than before. And generally, if it is up in the northeast, the water temp is usually cool enough that once it is back over water, it isn't going to get anything close to as nasty as it was before.

The people, there's a severe lack of whiny ******* and people who won't work when you get into the real sea going stuff. Seamen feel no entitlement and they are grateful when you get them home. There is no where in the world I don't have a place to stay.

You sound like a friend of mine, though not a seaman. There is nowhere in the entire world that he doesn't know somebody or have a place to stay. He got into a sport that, in the beginning, was a lot smaller than it is now. And his connections stuck. I see him only once every few years, and like some of your stories, his are great to hear and super entertaining - especially over a few Japanese beers and some raw fish.

You sound like a friend of mine, though not a seaman. There is nowhere in the entire world that he doesn't know somebody or have a place to stay. He got into a sport that, in the beginning, was a lot smaller than it is now. And his connections stuck. I see him only once every few years, and like some of your stories, his are great to hear and super entertaining - especially over a few Japanese beers and some raw fish.
What sport....Tokyo Drifting???

What sport....Tokyo Drifting???

LOL no - he won some "X Games" gold medals I think back in the day - the sky diving sport where a group of people practice "a routine" to music that is judged by judges on the ground who review camera footage from one of the sky divers etc.

Back