Sold [NA] Ted's 2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40' RV For Sale - $45,000

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
If you've seen my "Thinking about a Bus/RV" thread, you'll know that over the past 3+ years or so we've had a 40' Holiday Rambler Endeavor which I've massively maintained and upgraded.

We are upgrading to a Prevost, and are selling this RV. This will represent a fantastic value for whoever buys it. I've done a full walk around video, see the link below. A full list of the work performed below and basic specs as well.

40', dual slide, 125k miles. Cat 3126B 330 HP, Allison 3000 transmission. Onan Quietdiesel generator with ~2700 hours. Splendide 7100 washer/dryer

Fuel: 90 gallons
Fresh water: 80 gallons (Additional removable 50 gallon water tank with transfer pump to main tank in one bay)
Grey/Black: 52 gallons each
LP: 34 gallons
Water heater: 10 gallons

We bought this RV in July of 2020 and have put over 40,000 miles on it since buying it. It was our "magic school bus" with our kids and we've seen 26 states and 30 national parks, traveling all over. We did not full time in it however, and it spent most of its time living in our climate controlled shop, NOT stored outdoors. In that timeframe we have also extensively maintained, repaired, and upgraded it. The list is extensive, and there is virtually no part of this RV that wasn't touched. It drives immensely better, is more comfortable to live in, and works better. The 1200W rooftop solar provides enough power to run all electrical needs other than HVAC silently while also shading the roof which improves AC performance in the summer by reducing radiant heat. When the generator is needed, it is now much quieter with virtually no noise or vibration in the bus thanks to the air spring isolators it rests on. The residential refrigerator is much more spacious and better performing than the Norcold it replaced. By deleting the propane fridge and propane furnace, we were able to significantly improve the RV's insulation. The heat pumps will work down to around 25F, but below that, 1 or 2 space heaters work just fine (we've used the RV down to 13F without issue). The new smart TVs with matching soundbars provide great picture and sound. The updated shower has enough room for someone 6'+ tall to stand up under the shower head, and allows significantly more elbow room than the factory. The list goes on, see more below.

I can say confidently you will not find a better maintained or more upgraded RV on the market. Many consider this vintage Holiday Rambler to be one of the best they ever built. With an electronically controlled but pre-emission engine, this RV has been extremely reliable for us and has never left us stranded. This RV was repainted by previous owners around 2015, and has a custom-build solid steel front bumper.

The majority of the repairs, maintenance, and upgrades are documented on my YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/tedsgarage

Below is a list of all work done under my ownership:

Chassis/Engine related items:

- All 4 airbags replaced
- Shocks replaced with Bilsteins @ ~85k miles
- Front sway bar upgraded with Roadmaster 1.25" sway bar
- 1" rear sway bar added (factory does not have a rear sway bar)
- Airtabs added to body (improves airlfow and helps handling)
- FlowBelow hubcaps added
- Front wheel bearing oil replaced
- Differential oil replaced
- Polyurethane motor mounts (keeps engine from moving around under shifts in load, reduces overall vibration into the RV)
- Rod bearings, main bearings, and oil pump replaced at ~90k miles
- Oil cooler and oil filter housing replaced
- Block heater replaced
- External transmission coolers added, transmission cooling divorced entirely from engine cooling (this improves both engine and transmission cooling)
- Custom sandwich adapter made to add external oil coolers (improves both oil cooling and rest of engine cooling)
- New radiator and charge air cooler
- All new radiator/coolant hoses and coolant overflow tank, including level sensor
- Engine converted from mechanical cooling fan to all electric cooling fans
- Alternators upgraded with appropriately sized wiring: 270A dedicated alternator for the house side (will run the 3000W inverter continuously at max load) and 200A dedicated alternator for the engine side
- All new coolant hoses
- New harmonic balancer
- Valve adjustment done @ 100k miles
- New/upgraded turbo done <10k miles ago (significantly lowers intake air temperatures)
- Exhaust manifold gaskets done <10k miles ago (same time as turbo)
- New muffler and exhaust tip
- All new updated headlights installed with HID low and high beams, halos around the headlights. Low beams stay on with high beams
- LED driving lights
- All new updated taillights
- New LED marker lights with smoke colored lenses
- New chassis batteries ~2021
- Water/methanol injection system added
- Michelin XRV 305/70R22.5s on front with 2021 date codes, ~8k miles
- Super single tires installed on rear (445/50R22.5), 2017/2018 date codes (still have standard dual rear wheels and can swap to those if preferred)

House related items:

- 1200W rooftop solar array feeding house batteries
- New Houghton/RecPro rooftop AC/heat pumps
- Interior completely updated, including subfloor completely replaced in the center of the coach following a slide leak. When replaced, the subfloor was coated with RedGuard. No leaks or problems have occurred since
- New bamboo flooring from bedroom all the way to just aft of the front couches. RV comes with enough flooring to finish the rest of the coach
- New dining room table
- Residential fridge installed in place of Norcold fridge
- Propane heater deleted, ducts for propane heater and propane fridge sealed (significantly improving insulation)
- Residential 36" shower installed replacing factory shower
- Bathroom vanity updated including new rock vessel sink
- Toilet closet updated, toilet (Dometic 511) has all new internals and slow-close lid
- New flat screen smart TVs front and rear
- Front has a 4.1 soundbar with subwoofer and rear speakers near dining table
- Bedroom has a 2.1 soundbar with subwoofer under the bed
- Radio replaced, has new speakers and subwoofer above driver's head
- Driver and passenger seats are heated
- Generator received a full service including valve adjustment earlier this year
- Generator mount redesigned and now uses air springs - significantly reduces noise and vibration in the RV
- Floor above generator insulated with sound deadener and sound absorbing foam
- Sound absorbing foam on the front generator door, and generator covered with sound deadening material
- Auxiliary 50 gallon fresh water tank added
- Water pump upgraded to 55 psi, 3.0 GPM
- Water pressure accumulator tank added
- Heating pads added to fresh and grey water tanks
- Water recirculator will put hot water into fresh water tank to prevent freezing at cold temperatures
- New aux engine driven heater in bedroom, with a solenoid valve added to only let coolant flow through the heater when it's turned on (the factory design had coolant flowing through it all the time - heating the bedroom to some degree even in the summer)

Congrats on the Prevost. You'll love the ride compared to the single rear axle and it will be much more quiet/less squeaks and rattles. A lot more systems...but, you are used to systems ;).

Congrats on the Prevost. You'll love the ride compared to the single rear axle and it will be much more quiet/less squeaks and rattles. A lot more systems...but, you are used to systems ;).

There are definitely things I'm going to miss about this RV. Its systems are simple and easy to maintain. Admittedly that has me a bit nervous about going up to a Prevost. Then again, given my history with owning aircraft, I should be just fine. :)

There are definitely things I'm going to miss about this RV. Its systems are simple and easy to upgrade. Admittedly that has me a bit nervous about going up to a Prevost. Then again, given my history with owning aircraft, I should be just fine. :)
FTFY. I can only imagine what you'll get up to on the Prevost.

That Holiday Rambler is a great find for someone who understands what they're getting. Best of luck with it.

Reactions: Ted
FTFY. I can only imagine what you'll get up to on the Prevost.

That Holiday Rambler is a great find for someone who understands what they're getting. Best of luck with it.

Your FTFY is accurate. I already have upgrades planned. :)

And thank you, that's my thought as well. It does need the "right" buyer. However for the right buyer who understands the value of the work performed and the benefits of the modifications, it really is going to be a great value.

I've never had any desire to own a RV, and I'm tempted to buy it just because I know you owned it. Never be another chance to buy one that's been gone over so thoroughly.

I'm anxious to see what comes after the bus though. "Thinking about a yacht"?:tongue:

I've never had any desire to own a RV, and I'm tempted to buy it just because I know you owned it. Never be another chance to buy one that's been gone over so thoroughly.

I'm anxious to see what comes after the bus though. "Thinking about a yacht"?:tongue:

You're right that an RV like this won't be coming around for sale anytime soon. I see people who've done a similar amount of work on Skoolies, and are asking stupid amounts of money for them (way more than I am). I can't see anyone spending that on those units. The Prevost were expecting to keep at least through the kids graduating high school. If you buy it I'll even deliver it to you. ;)

As far as what's next, we have talked about a boat to do "the great loop" or something similar. Who knows, there may come a time for that, probably post-kids. I do still like boats but it's the wrong toy for this phase of life.

As far as what's next, we have talked about a boat to do "the great loop" or something similar.
Ah, I was close. "Thinking about a trawler..."

Wish timing and money would cooperate on this one. Would love to take it off your hands. But it's been a heck of a year!

So tempted....but no, not comfortable driving a large pickup, this would be worse,

Wish timing and money would cooperate on this one. Would love to take it off your hands. But it's been a heck of a year!

Rich, if you are interested in it, I'd be glad to talk about what could be possible.

So tempted....but no, not comfortable driving a large pickup, this would be worse,

Driving a 40' bus is a different experience. That said, there's a lot to be said about driving just a giant box vs. today's modern vehicles that have so many curves and poor visibility. The mirrors are very good and since you're sitting right at the front of it, the main things you need to remember are wide turns, that you're sitting on top of/in front of the front wheels (so you turn the steering wheel at a different time than normal), and that you don't bend in the middle. More than anything, you just have to get the hang of the space you're taking up, get used to driving slowly, and also remember air brakes feel different from normal ones.

It didn't take me long to get the hang of it. If you'd like to see what driving it's like and want to come to KC, you'd be welcome to a test drive and a Ted-provided driving lesson. I'm a YouTube CRVI (YouTube certified RV instructor). ;)

Ah, I was close. "Thinking about a trawler..."

Back before kids, we'd contemplating getting a boat to travel around the world with. Still something that might happen one day.

Back before kids, we'd contemplating getting a boat to travel around the world with. Still something that might happen one day.

Man I have to assume that is a griiiiiind for anyone near ADHD-type energy levels. :)

I'm boat-curious too, and would try to marry sailing and global wanderlust. Then I remember it's like 3 weeks just to get to Hawaii by sail. Maybe when Starlink is fully lit up. Or I have a much larger Chevron card.

GLWS

Buying a trawler, doing the great loop, and then bumming around the Caribbean was my retirement plan before I discovered airplanes. That might still be a thing if/when I lose my medical some day. Until then, I'm much more of a 150 knot guy than a 5 knot guy. I'd like to be a 300 knot guy, but money and speed having an exponential relationship and all....

Man I have to assume that is a griiiiiind for anyone near ADHD-type energy levels. :)

I'm boat-curious too, and would try to marry sailing and global wanderlust. Then I remember it's like 3 weeks just to get to Hawaii by sail. Maybe when Starlink is fully lit up. Or I have a much larger Chevron card.

I used to do a lot of long drives and really enjoyed the quiet time to just be with my thoughts (something I don't get enough of these days). Being on a boat is a whole 'nother level of that, though. Starlink definitely would help with that.

Thanks. :)

Buying a trawler, doing the great loop, and then bumming around the Caribbean was my retirement plan before I discovered airplanes. That might still be a thing if/when I lose my medical some day. Until then, I'm much more of a 150 knot guy than a 5 knot guy. I'd like to be a 300 knot guy, but money and speed having an exponential relationship and all....

I've found that various particular hobbies tend to have a 5-10 year shelf life. Although I started flying 15 years ago, I effectively stopped 3 years ago and in that timeframe there was a lot of changing up that happened. I may restart it at some point but it will be in a different realm of flying. Similar with cars, I was big into Jaguars for about 6-7 years, and haven't been much interested since, as I've been moving on. Fundamentally, I love learning new things and that comes from being in different little microniches of different hobbies, or just outright changing altogether. I've ridden for 20 years, but was riding street bikes for most of that time, now getting into adventure/off-road.

All that to say, boats are another one of those hobbies. We enjoyed the boat we had for a couple of years (until the kids got to the "wrong" ages for it to work) and it'll probably come back around full circle at some point. Or maybe it won't, if we keep on exploring places with the RV and motorcycles.

I've found that various particular hobbies tend to have a 5-10 year shelf life.
Yeah, I have that problem too. I'm heavily invested into a few hobbies that just don't interest me much any more. I'm fairly confident aviation is going to be different because A) there's enough new challenges and niches to last a lifetime, and B) it enables something my family and I very much enjoy which is travelling to new places. I HATE driving, so long road trips are a non-starter, but I'm perfectly willing to sit in the airplane all day, and the planning is a challenging adventure of its own. We'll see, but I'm 4 1/2 years in now and I still get itchy when I haven't flown for a week.

I'd feel bad about the thread drift if it wasn't bumping your ad every few hours ;)

Yeah, I have that problem too. I'm heavily invested into a few hobbies that just don't interest me much any more. I'm fairly confident aviation is going to be different because A) there's enough new challenges and niches to last a lifetime, and B) it enables something my family and I very much enjoy which is travelling to new places. I HATE driving, so long road trips are a non-starter, but I'm perfectly willing to sit in the airplane all day, and the planning is a challenging adventure of its own. We'll see, but I'm 4 1/2 years in now and I still get itchy when I haven't flown for a week.

I'd feel bad about the thread drift if it wasn't bumping your ad every few hours ;)

Thread bumps are always appreciated, and thread drift is one of the pillars on which PoA was built. ;)

Incidentally, you hit on a major factor that was both what I loved about flying and why I ultimately got out of it. When I started flying it was enabling trips and adventures that otherwise wouldn't have happened. Cloud Nine was a big part of that. Eventually it got to where it was preventing the trips and adventures that we wanted to do (and Cloud Nine was the biggest part of that). The RV, however, became the right tool for that job.

You're right that with flying there's always more to learn whether it's a new plane to fly, a new rating to get, etc., which is part of what kept my interest for so long as I kept on moving up the ladder.

MORE THREAD DRIFT! Boating is a whole different thing and you may be surprised. My wife and I both grew on the Upper Mississippi so have spent a large part of my life on the river. Haven't done the entire loop but have been from St Croix MN. to the mouth of the Illinois river (around 500 miles) just above St Louis. Then up the Illinois to Lake Michigan. (another 350 miles and 36 locks total for both rivers) Trips one way like this take almost 2 weeks. Fuel burn per hour is an issue you watch as close as you do in a plane. But; you switch to "river time". Some times you speed up to catch a lock, sometimes you drop anchor while you wait for 3 hours to lock through or wait for a railroad bridge to open to let you pass!
I do not "idle" well myself, but have found the rivers to be endlessly fascinating! And, navigating/weather is just as important on boat as in a plane. Think sinking or dying due to poor navigation or getting blown in to or over a dam!

Meanwhile thread drifting back to the OP, has she sold yet?
And have you identified/purchased your new RV yet?

Meanwhile thread drifting back to the OP, has she sold yet?
And have you identified/purchased your new RV yet?

Thanks for the thread drift back to topic. :)

No it hasn’t sold yet.

We signed a purchase agreement on the replacement a few weeks ago, before listing this for sale. The selling shop is doing some work (I know, sounds odd for me to have someone else do work but it involves removing the windshield and a forklift) before taking delivery. I hope to get it sometime in the first part of November.

An interesting aspect of having a YouTube channel is that I get statistics on my videos and their performance. One thing YouTube does is it shows your past 10 videos, and rates the performance of your latest video when compared to the others, and it tracks this over the first however many hours/days until you post another video.

The video on my RV for sale started off quickly at #1 out of 10, stayed that way for the first copule of days. Then it dropped to #3, is now back at #2, and I think will be back up to #1 soon.

Below for what this looks like:

1698240715230.png

For an engineer/math nerd like me, it's fun to watch how these things do.

But don't tell @Half Fast that the RX-7 videos are towards the bottom. :(

Well yeah, the car isn't fast. It's only half fast. ;)

You see, Ted, you have to use the pedal on the right a lot more than the pedal in the middle. And that thing called a floorboard? Its purpose is to let you know how far to depress that pedal on the right.

• Haha
Thanks to any of you who helped push this video over the edge, it’s back in #1! :)

All I need is another 4M views and I’ll have generated enough revenue to set it on fire and post that to YouTube for more views.

…All I need is another 4M views and I’ll have generated enough revenue to set it on fire and post that to YouTube for more views.

There’s a bot for that. Or more likely a bot farm, but nonetheless.

ETA: POA fundraiser to burn it to the ground &gt; Brown Brick

Thanks to any of you who helped push this video over the edge, it’s back in #1! :)

All I need is another 4M views and I’ll have generated enough revenue to set it on fire and post that to YouTube for more views.
And then we can call you WhistlinTed???

You've got more respect for machinery than that..

And then we can call you WhistlinTed???

You've got more respect for machinery than that..

You’re correct, I wouldn’t actually do it. Too much work that I put in, and I’m pragmatic: I’d rather sell it and make more money.

Part of why my channel does as poorly as it does is I don’t do things just for clicks.

Was it sold and picked up, or sitting on your property for a while?

Was it sold and picked up, or sitting on your property for a while?

Sold and paid in full. I told the new owner (a high school friend) he could keep it here until he was able to come get it.

I think RVs and being a pilot might have a thing to do with it as I'm thinking I want an RV.

Back