[NA]Tech pet peeve of the week[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Here is my whine for this week.

Cell phone voice messaging.
Its become unbelievable aggravating to leave a message for someone. The automessage you have to listen to is so long-winded and utterly stupid it drives me nuts! "When you are done leaving a message you may hang up" DU-UH!

What happened to pressing 0 to bypass these inane messages, as well? Now you get "Sorry, operator assistance is not available"

Agreed. I'd be happy with just - ring, ring, beep....

I try to make my message as short as possible. Since my office phone is frequently fwd'd to my cell, the message is, "This is Jim, you've reached my cellular voicemail, please leave a message".

(If I don't point out the fact that it is my cell VM, some folks call 2x thinking they need to leave a msg in each system)

I feel like they may be trying to discourage VMs. When you have to sit on the line for so long to listen people seem more likely to text, takes up less airtime. I prefer a text over VM, I hate having to check VMs. I'd rather just not have a phone at all but I don't think thats a possibility anymore.

Here is my whine for this week.

Cell phone voice messaging.
Its become unbelievable aggravating to leave a message for someone. The automessage you have to listen to is so long-winded and utterly stupid it drives me nuts! "When you are done leaving a message you may hang up" DU-UH!

What happened to pressing 0 to bypass these inane messages, as well? Now you get "Sorry, operator assistance is not available"

Try the # button. I just verified that it works with Verizon cell phone voice mail.

Try the # button. I just verified that it works with Verizon cell phone voice mail.

The last time I tried # on my Verizon phone, it asked for my password as it thought I was trying to retrieve my voicemail. I have to use * to bypass the message.

Yes, # does not work on more than 1/4 the phones I call.
I think they are trying to use up minutes.

I'm going to get a jump on next week.
Here is my peeve for Monday.
Google's new scrolling method. Used to be you could scroll the results line by line. Now a blue triangle is set up beside each find. Scroll down like usual with the down arrow and it jumps madly to the bottom. Instead of the usual and expected line by line scrollling it is going find by find - zoom!

I just send all voice mail to Google voice and howl laughing at the awful transcriptions. Vonage's transcriptions are even worse.

My wife has A.T. &T. pressing 9 bypasses her VM message.

I feel like they may be trying to discourage VMs. When you have to sit on the line for so long to listen people seem more likely to text, takes up less airtime. I prefer a text over VM, I hate having to check VMs. I'd rather just not have a phone at all but I don't think thats a possibility anymore.

It looks like if they were trying to reduce transmission time, they wouldn't be tripling+ the total time to leave and retrieve a message.

blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah
blahblahblahblahblahblah beeep
oh. I forgot what I was calling for. call me back.
blahblahblahblahblahblah

Wacko.

You guys leave Vmails? I mostly just call, if no one answers I either text or send them an email.

I'm SLOOOOOOWLY getting my wife to learn that when she calls, I just call her back...I don't bother with the voicemail. She's also learning to text me regarding more minor issues.

But I agree...the voicemail greetings are way too long, and I can feel the hatred swelling inside me when I have to sit through them.

Back