NA - Tax question

sferguson524

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FormerSocalFlyer
Hey all,

I live in NV, but just got a new job in New York that is going to allow me to work remote. We don't have state income tax here in NV, but the company is still having me fill out tax paperwork for NY. This doesn't make any sense to me. Since I am not a resident there, nor will I be going there for any extended period of time, one would think I'd be exempt from NY taxes. Current employer is CA based, and I had to fill nothing out for CA.

When I was based in ATL for the airline, I had to file Georgia taxes but didn't have to pay anything as I paid Alabama taxes. Guess like a credit. Being NV doesn't have state income tax I don't know how that would work.

I pay VA state taxes even tho I work for a company based in MA (and work in NY).

Hey all,

I live in NV, but just got a new job in New York that is going to allow me to work remote. We don't have state income tax here in NV, but the company is still having me fill out tax paperwork for NY. This doesn't make any sense to me. Since I am not a resident there, nor will I be going there for any extended period of time, one would think I'd be exempt from NY taxes. Current employer is CA based, and I had to fill nothing out for CA.

Do everything you can to keep your paperwork out of NY, they will try to suck you dry, also your money will be spent by emperor coumo and his lackies in the most unamerican ways.

Hey all,

..........just got a job in New York........... that might be the key to your answer. Just got a job in Nevada with a company based in New York sounds better. I don't know nuthin about NY taxes but the first question that went through my mind is, "do you ever have to go to NY?

NY is the worst of all 50 states as far as government goes. Their non resident tax return is a fiendish bit of paperwork. I live and work in CT, but my wife at one point had a part time summer job at a camp in NY... come tax time it just wasn't worth the hassle.

If you have the option, working as a 1099 contractor may be a better option, and it's plausible if you work independently and remotely.

Something similar happened when my husband took a job based in GA while we were living in NC. The company started taking out GA taxes. He had to get them to change it to NC withholding. Wasn't a problem, we filed and paid NC as usual. It's just that their people were used to everyone living in GA that worked at that office.

I work for a company based in another state as an independent contractor and get a 1099. Not an issue.

Spend the $ for an hour with either a tax attorney or CPA to go over federal & state rules and options.

Oh Snaps! I accidentally logged in to Tax Accountants of America.

There are stuffs you need to understand. Primarily, does your employer have nexus in the state you reside. Then, will you have routine work in the other state that want to tax you.

Finally, take your question somewhere else... you'll get actual answers.

[Oh, and when I worked for Accenture I lived in Texas and had to file state income taxes in 11 states because I worked in them long enough to be reported. Don't use SGOTI for this stuff]

You should only be taxed for income from NY sources, and depending on circumstances you may only be taxed the days you are there. And yes, the forms for non-resident tax are a b****. You will end up paying a tax preparer or accountant if you want it done right.

It's been a while, but NY may be able to tax more of your income because you're home state has no income tax, and beware if the employer is in NYC because the city gets a piece of your hide, too. But again, I'm speaking from long-ago memory and things may well have changed.

Check with a qualified tax accountant.

I appreciate the well thought out answers. POA is my typical brain trust since we've got folks from all walks of life

When I lived in SC and worked in NC, I would file a Non-resident tax return for NC and got credit in SC for "taxes paid to another state" usually it was a wash and I owed nothing to my home state of SC... Something similar probably applies to your situation...

I believe that working in the "air transportation industry" the rules are different for you and I.

When I was based in ATL for the airline, I had to file Georgia taxes but didn't have to pay anything as I paid Alabama taxes. Guess like a credit. Being NV doesn't have state income tax I don't know how that would work.

I believe that working in the "air transportation industry" the rules are different for you and I.

That might have been the case. Been years so I don't recall exactly what special rule it may have been.

Back