NA Switch change-out

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Are switches swappable or is there a software / configuration change?
Associated business needs a bigger switch, wonders if you can just buy one and swap them out.
No idea if this is a managed switch or not.
Maybe the answer is 'yes' for unmanaged switches, 'no' for managed switches?
Thanks

Correct. I'd make sure I did discovery to see if it's managed. Export configs so I could config the new switch

No idea if this is a managed switch or not.
Maybe the answer is 'yes' for unmanaged switches, 'no' for managed switches?

Generally right. Also just because a switch is CAPABLE of being "managed" doesn't mean anyone configured it.

You need to get the manual so you can figure out basic commands, and then log into the device and capture the configuration, to start this process.

If the switch never had anything configured in it, even a so-called "managed" one, putting another in would be a simple swap. If it was configured to be broken up into VLAN's or has trunk ports to another switch, or happens to be a really "smart" device that's also a layer 3 router, etc etc etc... you'll need to do that to the ports on the new switch. You need the config out of it to know for sure what "jobs" it's doing and how it's configured.

You could also run into things the person who set the previous one up had to do to make something "behave", like forcing a particular port to a specific duplex or speed because of some hardware incompatibility or other problem. Those would also be captured in the old configuration.

First question: I assume they believe the need a new switch because you've run out of ports. Have they truly utilized all physical ports on the switch with ACTIVE connections, or could re-arranging cabling and making some Ethernet drops in the building be "non-functional" get you to where you could handle all of the active users expected? (Of course, there's other reasons you may have decided they need a new switch, I'm just assuming physical port density is the problem you're tackling.)

What brand/model of switch is currently installed, and is it a stand-alone, or are there other switches connected to it? How many users? What speed are you attempting to run on the local LAN? Is the cabling up to changing the speed (as in, if the old switch is 10/100, and you install Gigabit, is your cable plant ready for that)?

I have thrown out the idea that there are ports that have jacks which are not being used, so maybe they don't even need one.
Your answers helped because I now know it is sufficiently beyond our capabilities, thank you.

I am willing to bet a case of beer that this switch was never actively configured and that plugging in a different box and booting everything connected to it (starting with the router/firewall) would yield the desired result.

The other, less elegant but cheap option is to hook up a cheap unmanaged switch to one of the ports to get more little rectangular holes to plug things into. Unless you do something unusual like video processing, 10/100/1000 will have so much excess bandwidth that ever which way you plug it together will work.

Last edited:
"hook up a cheap unmanaged switch to one of the ports to get more little rectangular holes to plug things into. "
really? like an extension cord? cool.
might try that.
there is video monitoring (security video), but no processing.

"hook up a cheap unmanaged switch to one of the ports to get more little rectangular holes to plug things into. "
might try that.
There are scenarios where that wouldn't work, such as tagged VLANs, but in your case it is probably a flat network and will work. The uplink will be a bottle neck. For instance, if one of the up link ports is only 100 Mbs, then all traffic on the new switch will funnel through that connection. A single switch scenario will keep all the traffic on a fast backplane. You still may have a bottleneck on the sever uplink.

might try that.

Do your cameras have their own power or do they get powered from the switch (PoE)?

You would only want to daisy-chain a dumb switch if the main switch wasn't set up in any fancy way (e.g. with custom routing tables or sub-networks). Also, don't put a server, network storage device, router or any other device on there that needs the fastest access. A printer and a time-clock won't care if they have to share a 100mbit pipe.

The easiest solution is to buy a gigabit switch with 50% more ports than you need, hook up all your stuff and see whether it works. If it doesn't, box it up and return within 30 days.

Back