NA sub-thread on generators

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I also want to get a generator for my 220v water well pump.
(It is too far (1200') from my house to use the whole-house generator.)
What is needed, to decide which generator?
Can't just look at the breaker size, can you.

You need to know the hp of the well pump, and use that to find the motor start up amp draw, which is generally 3x the run draw. Size your genny accordingly.
There's probably a sticker on your pump control box that'll give you chapter and verse. You 're just going yo leave it running to serve well pump demand? Wiring that to keep it isolated from the main panel should be interesting, if you need you keep the genny near the well pump.

Last edited:
How is it powered now?

If it isn't too far to run off the main panel when on utility power, it won't suddenly move farther away when you're on the gennie.

Ah! Separate meter and service, then? I mean, it's not a sub-panel off your main panel?

You could possibly use two transfer switches in parallel, one for the house and one for the pump, as long as there is a protection circuit breaker on the generator side of the switches that handles the total generator load. You're right, though - 1200 feet will be a long cable run and unless you use very heavy cable the voltage drop might be too much.

As others have said, you need to find out the size if your pump, but for a typical pump you'll be looking at a genie in the 3 to 5 kw range.

I'd just site the gen set at the clinic panel, and it could then run the pump, and provide power for the clinic as-needed.

You should talk to an electrician. Powering the well at 1200’ may be easier and less expensive to wire from one generator. Depending on the well pump it may only need #6 wire to run 1200’.

You need the specs on the well pump. HP isn't necessarily going to tell the whole story. A lot of well pumps are VFD these days.

Back