(NA) Stoopid Micro$oft

Cap'n Jack

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cap'n Jack
I have some XL VBA programs that I've used for ~7 years (created in XL '97, opened and saved with XL 2002, 2003, and 2007). They read data from lab instruments, save the data on the active worksheet, and graph it with ~1 second resolution. A co-worker needed to run them on their computer- absolutely wouldn't work. It wouldn't work on 4 other computers, either- just mine. Finally found the problem- my computer has been through 3 XL upgrades, the other computers are fairly new. I had to export the forms and VBA code, create a new workbook in XL 2007, and import the code back into XL. I think XL needed to rebuild the code with current libraries and it worked on my computer because I probably had the older libraries or DLLs someplace. It drove IT nuts too.:mad2:

Upgrade your references in vba, had similar issue. 3 minute fix.

Upgrade your references in vba, had similar issue. 3 minute fix.
Thanks...I'll need to figure out how to do that. I'm essentially doing the same thing by importing the forms and BAS files, but your suggestion sounds much faster.

We're starting to run into that where I just started working. For the past several years few of the guys have been making a lot of data tools with VBA in Excel. Recently, random computers have decided they don't like the old tools.

So far I have avoided getting sucked into trying to read other peoples' 5 year old VBA code. That's why I'm developing all of my tools as web-based, so I'll get hosed every time IE gets upgraded instead of Excel. ;)

Apparently Office 2010 is moving toward VB.NET over VBA.

Back