[NA]Starlink and VOIP[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Pondering the future switch, at home and business (Texas)

Right now, I have copper lines to the house and biz; "Uverse" with ATT.
Currently, a laughable but marginally functional 6 up and 0.6 down. $50/mo house and $120/mo business

One line for each location provides internet, and I have a service (and electronic box) with Ooma, which connects to the Uverse box, to provide phone service.
(OomaOffice provides a couple of lines and fax capability at work)
I think Ooma is $50/mo each house and biz.

With Starlink, am I likely going to be able to abandon ATT (oh, that would be soo nice), and drop their Uverse service entirely while maintaining phone and internet through Starlink?

I will assume yes, and ask a follow-on question:
If I can get voip with Starlink, will I still need the Ooma service?
It would seem (assuming the technology is capable) that Starlink would see this as an additional revenue opportunity and offer voip through their connection instead of losing that business to Ooma, et al.

It is possible I don't understand how any of this works, so please humor me.

I don't think starlink offers voip service, at least no yet, so you would need to keep ooma, or some equivalent. Starlink service quality is certainly in the range of good enough to operate voip, although I'm not sure I would want to rely on it for business purposes if there is a better alternative available. Although if there was you likely would not be asking about starlink.

VOIP is a separate service. Starlink is just an internet provider. I haven’t run VOIP on Starlink but you may have some issues. I have a lot of micro outages, try to load a new web page and it just hangs. I have also seen the bandwidth drop by almost an order of magnitude. I was getting 150/200 mbps now only see 30. It works well for streaming, with buffering I can watch a 4K show with no problems.

VOIP is a separate service. Starlink is just an internet provider. I haven’t run VOIP on Starlink but you may have some issues. I have a lot of micro outages, try to load a new web page and it just hangs. I have also seen the bandwidth drop by almost an order of magnitude. I was getting 150/200 mbps now only see 30. It works well for streaming, with buffering I can watch a 4K show with no problems.
Thanks

With time, do you think the quality will improve?

“With time, do you think the quality will improve?“
Short, medium term (2-3 years), no. Long term maybe?
Right now they are adding subscribers faster than satellites.
Don’t know what latency VOIP needs, I see 20-60 ms most of the time, spikes to 100ms sometimes.

Also seems like the latency is a bit high for VOIP.

I don't know. I and many others, have done VOIP on cruise ships. And they have Pings in excess of 500 ms.

For voip usually any ping below 100ms is workable....over that you start getting bothersome lags.

Back