(NA--sort of) Bird on a leash--

terzap

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
terzap
I can stull hardly see my keyboard! ROFL!

Some of you (very few) may know I'm "nestmates" (this bird is SO very much NOT a "pet") with a human imprinted house sparrow. A species once regarded by me a Public Enemy No. 1.

Well, all that aside (I know better now), this particular member of Passer domesticus just happens to be my very best friend and something that brings a lot of joy and laughter to my life. He is a young male (he'll be a year old this June) not yet of breeding age (next year he'll think more about that) but he's still feeling his first hormonal instincts.

My Birdie's nest-building attempts have raided supplies from my broom collection and House Witch. Unfortunately Birdie's chosen site has been on top of the vertical blinds in my living room. Since I can't have that, with landlords coming over and all (who think my birds live in cages) I take the haphazard collections away and toss them. Birdie manages to retrieve them from the garbage (unless I take it out right away) and put them back. Sometimes he drops stuff on my desk or on the floor.

SO--this morning we're fooling around (I should be leaving for work), and I had one of the long straws he dropped (about 18 inches or so). He snatches one end, I hang on to the other. When he starts to fly off--it is was like having him on a leash or having one of those toy airplanes on a string (or forgetting to untie one of your tiedowns)--he refused to let go and so did I, and he flew around in circles for almost an entire minute before letting go--and trying AGAIN!

It was so funny I had to share. Now I must wipe my eyes and go to work.

Yes, I did give him the straw. He has added it to his collection on top of the vertical blinds. Tonight I'll take it all down again.

Hey, at least it keeps him out of trouble.

Still laughing... !

BTW, you can see a bigger pic of my bird (from February) posing for the camera (he's a ham) here:
http://gra.midco.net/terzap/images/birdie26feb.jpg

and now I am really late for work, so off I go. I just had to share a sort of flying-related giggle.

terry

Last edited:
Terry,

Is this a type of bird that is typically a wild bird that you have domesticated or more like a domesticated bird that is a bit less "tame" than a more common pet like a parakeet?

I ask for two reasons:

1 - My kids really want a pet and for various reasons I'd rather not get a dog or a cat.

2 - We have a "crazy" Cardinal that keeps trying to get into our house (since about mid winter). He is constantly flying into the windows and doors (open or closed).

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Terry,

Is this a type of bird that is typically a wild bird that you have domesticated or more like a domesticated bird that is a bit less "tame" than a more common pet like a parakeet?

I ask for two reasons:

1 - My kids really want a pet and for various reasons I'd rather not get a dog or a cat.

2 - We have a "crazy" Cardinal that keeps trying to get into our house (since about mid winter). He is constantly flying into the windows and doors (open or closed).

Len

I doubt that your Cardinal want to get "inside", but rather thinks he should be able to fly through the glass he can't see and come out the other side. I have little experience with birds but from what I've read, unless you raised him from a newly hatched chick, a wild Cardinal won't be the least bit "domesticated". Chances are Terry's sparrow will revert to it's natural instincts and ways once it reaches puberty and cease to be what most folks would consider a "pet". It will probably require food subsidies from Terry though as it probably hasn't learned to survive on it's own in the wild.

If you really want a bird for a pet I suggest obtaining one from a reputable pet shop after a little research on what to expect from various breeds. IME most birds don't make good pets for kids but I'm sure there are exceptions. I'm also curious about your reasons for avoiding dogs and cats if you're willing to share. Having had several of both, I can say that in general cats are less work and dogs are more fun/rewarding, but either would be an order of magintude more enjoyable for youngsters than a bird and birds are often a far bigger support commitment than they seem at first.

Male cardinals are territorial and agressive and fly into windows attacking the "intruder" that is their own reflection. Put some decals on your window. This helps. have your kids make paper cutouts of little airplanes and flowers or something and tape them to the patio doors.

Lance is correct: you should get a bird from a reputable bird breeder/aviary or nice pet store. I have Zebra finches that are perky, funny, and make happy noises. These birds do not like to be held or petted, though. Parakeets can be tamed a little more to perch on your shoulder or take to human handling.

As for my bird: he was found as a day-old hatchling dying on the sidewalk, having fallen out of a nest. Ther person who picked him up could not find a nest to return him to. (Contrary to popular myth--parent birds do not care if humans handle their young-they have no true sense of smell. They just want you to leave those babies alone.) Anyway, Birdie was injured. he would have died. He is one of the few success stories of birds rescued and raised by people. I was goin to release him to the wild until I realized he was imprinted on me and you cannot release human imprinted birds for lots of reasons.

ANOTHER thing: House sparrows, starlings, and pigeons are not protected by law since they are non-native species. Therefore, me having my sparrow is OK. Other birds are protected and it is illegal even to rehabilitate them unless you are a licensed wildlife rehabber. I do not advise anyone takes on a "wild" baby bird or adult-it is a lot more work than you think. Birdie had to be fed every two hours and monitored constantly until he fledged. He came to work with me and literally lived out of my pocket since that was the only way I could keep him alive. Baby birds are cute, but rearing them is best left to the parents. I've been involved with animals domesticated and wild for many years so I guess I can speak with a bit of experience.

Okay: Back to pet birds---they can be fun, are less expensive than a dog or a cat, and in the case of finches, are perfectly happy if you ignore them (as long as they have food and water and a buddy.) As long as you are not looking for a pettable pet, passerines can be perfect. Parrots, 'keets, cockatiels, and cockatoos make excellent pets, too---but they live longer than humans so you have to make a lifetime committment to them!

Fish are good...

sorry to ramble.

:)
terry

For about 5 generations now, a pair of house finches have set up shop on our front porch. They let my wife and I get quite near to them without flying away or trying to protect their nest. Sometimes, they have allowed us to stroke their heads or cup them in or hands. Each successive generation seems to have been taught similar behaviors. This year they have nested in the wreath hanging on the front door and the 4 eggs hatched 4 days ago.

Terry, I've had countless parakeets, two cockatiels, two cockatoos and all have died before me. The cockatiels I raised from eggs.

We had a cardinal that attacked the reflection of himself in various windows around the house until we finally found him dead on the back deck.

This spring we put up a blue bird box. A pair checked it out but it was located where the female could see herself reflected in a patio door. After we realized that she was attacking her reflection, we moved the box a little. It now has 5 eggs in it.

lancefisher said:
I doubt that your Cardinal want to get "inside", but rather thinks he should be able to fly through the glass he can't see and come out the other side.

I thought this was a possibility as well as the attack the reflection theory that Terry suggests below. What is funny is that through out the day the bird systematically goes around the first floor of the house attacking all of the windows and windows in the doors.

As for not wanting a dog or cat...it is not so much that I don't want an animial having a pet would require a real trade off. Finding the time to properly take care of the pet would be difficult and require that something else give.

Len

terzap said:
Male cardinals are territorial and agressive and fly into windows attacking the "intruder" that is their own reflection. Put some decals on your window.

Terry,

Thanks. I did not think of trying attaching something to the windows.

Len

Back