[NA] Solution ideas needed: Email address collection

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Need some ideas for a mechanism, software, online or local that I can use to catalog databases.

One of the bright ideas that came up during a business peer group meeting was to ask for the email addresses of my customers whenever telephone contact was made (they called me, or I called them). Purpose is to build something for use with Constant Contact so that I can replace my expensive and slow direct mail campaign with a low cost and faster e-marketing campaign.

I know there can be a debate on if that works, opting in the customer by asking verbally for the email, etc. But that's not the purpose of the thread. I apprecaite input to that regard, but would like to hear more on what solutions are out there than the validity of what I'm doing.

I need something that would make it easy for 3 to 4 sales staff and managers to input the acquired name, email and possible phone number into a "central" database that we can all access. Then this database can be "dumped" out for use with Constant Contact.

Parameters include this needs to be simpler than dirt to get up and running and use. I'm a real novice when it comes to establishing a shared anything, and pretty much only can spell "database" versus setting up a central one that all call access.

Could this be as simple as a Excel spreadsheet that all 4 of us can have edit rights to simultaneously?

Can we set up a shared outlook file (note, basic service only... no MS exchange server or anything)?

Ideally, I'd like to find a solution that permits any or all 4 of us to access and add to or edit simutaneously. And ideally free. But I'll take a "small cost" idea too.

Is this something that the basic "Salesforce.com" style site would handle? Are there anyone other vendors/providers you'd recommend?

Thanks in advance for the ideas....

PS. Due to a depature of a salesperson and a reshuffle of our personell deck, I'm on the sales phones for the next few months until I can find a good salesperson. Call me if you want to take advantage of the discount shown in my sig. Also contact me if you're a real shark of a salesperson and are looking for a new challenge.

Send me a PM with contact info and I'll call tomorrow morning. I can develop a custom app for you, fairly inexpensive/or trade for exactly what you're looking for.

How about ACT!
Act or it's similar kin can do this. But from what I remember, it's feature overkill for what I want. I'm more looking for a "collector" solution at the moment. Later on I might want a full CRM solution, but for now, just the simple to use "conctact information collector" is what I desire.

Plus I want to avoid the requirement of software purchase of possible.

So you basically want task-specific software that's not really software and only if it's free?

Act or it's similar kin can do this. But from what I remember, it's feature overkill for what I want. I'm more looking for a "collector" solution at the moment. Later on I might want a full CRM solution, but for now, just the simple to use "conctact information collector" is what I desire.

Plus I want to avoid the requirement of software purchase of possible.

And a free instrument flying lessons too.

I took a quick look at Salesforce.com. That might be a potential low cost solution.

Look at sugar CRM. I think it is free. Give me a shout tomorrow and lets talk about salesforce, I am working on an implementation right now.

Look at sugar CRM. I think it is free. Give me a shout tomorrow and lets talk about salesforce, I am working on an implementation right now.

PM info and I'll call Monday or Tuesday next week. Out of office this week.

I took a quick look at Salesforce.com. That might be a potential low cost solution.
That, my friend, is the first time I've *ever* hard someone associate the words "salesforce" and "low cost".

Look but don't touch. Even to someone bad at math, Sugar is a 4 letter word. There is ONE GUY (And I'm being 99% serious) that can help you on the sugar support forums :mad2:

In Sugars defense, it usually does 20% of what you want it to, then people hire us to make it do the other 80% that it was never supposed to do.

Last edited:
Just to finish the posting trifecta, My company could roll something like this for you from scratch at at a very low cost, PM me if it's simple enough I might do it for free in my spare time.

Don't use Excel. A spreadsheet is no database. If you want to use MS Office, you could use Access which is an actual database, but it is really only suited for single-user and embedded databases.

An SQL database server with a web app or GUI client front end would be the most robust and adaptable solution. I could build something for you as well. PM me for a quote.

Don't use Excel. A spreadsheet is no database. If you want to use MS Office, you could use Access which is an actual database, but it is really only suited for single-user and embedded databases.

An SQL database server with a web app or GUI client front end would be the most robust and adaptable solution. I could build something for you as well. PM me for a quote.

As I recall, querying a SQL database via FORTRAN on a VAX/VMS platform was kind of quirky... :wink2:

(That should give you an idea about how long it's been since I wrote that kind of software)

Back