[NA]Set them straight, or shut up?[NA]

You discover an email with obviously bogus info. You.....

• let the sender know of their error, posting references.

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Zip it. Delete and carry on.

Votes: 10 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
ref. these constant emails in which some semi-believable claim is made, but is easily debunked by minimal e-sleuthing.
ie. Brutus the K9 congressional medal of honor winner
or the "pet-killing" cleaner, Febreze was one of the first ones.

I like to be notified when I am spreading bogus info, but I have discovered that even when you do it politely, not all appreciate it. They are more content in their little conspiracy world.

So. Do you advise and take the backlash, or click delete and carry on?

I tend to send them a link to the Snopes article. Most usually thank me for letting them know, and they then send a correction to their original distribution list.

"You are entitled to your own opinion but you're not entitled to your own facts".

Don't recall who said it but it's very appropo.

I just delete it and go about my business. I really get few of them and those that send them to me can't be bothered with the facts.

Set em straight and if they get ****ed off, tell them to take you off their nice mass email list.

"You are entitled to your own opinion but you're not entitled to your own facts".

Don't recall who said it but it's very appropo.

"The facts have a liberal bias" - Steven Colbert

If you send the snopes link they may get POed that you harshed their fun.

"There are some people who, if they don't already know, you can't tell 'em" -- Yogi Berra

Most of the time it's not worth the trouble. People have mostly given up sending me stuff like this because I never respond. The only person I'll sometimes spar with is one of my flying buddies but we spar about everything. :rofl:

Anyone with half a brain knows that 90% of the viral e-mail are full of mis-information. Thus, those who pass this stuff along without first checking it out are putting their intelligence level on display for all to see.

Typically. it depends. Sometimes I will shoot a note back. Sometimes just roll my eyes.

I had one sister in law that used to send tons of this stuff - Seems to tapered off quite a bit after I sent her the link to Snopes several times in a row...

Since the person who sends this is usually a family member, I write a quick note with a snopes link. They usually take me off their mass-mail list.

Sometimes I'll "Snopes" it and, if erroneous, send back the link with a polite note

Sometimes I'll delete

I never forward those "claims" emails; so I must be heartless, stupid, unpatriotic, part of the problem, and, um whatever else the email closing usually accuses me of for not forwarding.

Back