[NA]Selling jewelry[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Well I've seen hangar talk threads on buying dryers and bbqs, and selling guns - so why not ask my non-aviation question to which I have been unable to find an answer anywhere else?

Let's say you have some valuable jewelry you want to transmogrify into greenbacks (ie avgas).
They come with an appraisal done by a professional gemologist a few decades ago.

You do not know a single person in the industry or anyone even slightly knowledgeable about baubles.

Where would you start?
You most likely won't sell such a high dollar item online unless there is strong evidence to say it is a safe way to get their current market value.
You live at least 150 miles from the nearest city and associated jeweler.

A good friends of 40+ years is in the diamond buy/sell/trade business if you want to talk to somebody about them. Let me know.

Well I've seen hangar talk threads on buying dryers and bbqs, and selling guns - so why not ask my non-aviation question to which I have been unable to find an answer anywhere else?

Let's say you have some valuable jewelry you want to transmogrify into greenbacks (ie avgas).
They come with an appraisal done by a professional gemologist a few decades ago.

You do not know a single person in the industry or anyone even slightly knowledgeable about baubles.

Where would you start?
You most likely won't sell such a high dollar item online unless there is strong evidence to say it is a safe way to get their current market value.

Not diamonds, but personal references are very welcome and much appreciated.

Where would you start?

The 'Dania Marine Flea Market' is coming up. It's the biggest in the world, broke bastards to billionaires are in attendance. I could potentially place them there.

You fly a plane. The jewelers location shouldnt be much of an issue.
If I were you, I would seek out a new professional appraiser first. You might ask your insurance company for a reference. If the stuff is worth it, and you have the previous appraisal to know, I would expect the value to have increased quite a bit.
Anything can be sold on the internet. Pick a price, get some good pictures, share the appraisal with serious buyers only. Myself, Id find a typical brick and mortar store that deals in estate stuff. Check out the store, see what they carry, and figure out what they might give you.
You could always chase down Pawn Stars. Seems to me what they offer is all over the block.

Dave

There are varieties of appraisals. The most common are replacement vs actual. For example, I have my great-grandmother's wedding ring. It's over 100 years old, and the replacement value is over $25K. That's the cost of a ring of similar styling (old european) with the type of cuts of the diamonds. Now, if you ask what the actual appraisal is, based on the value of the diamonds try about $2000. Yup, about an order of magnitude. Altho I keep the jewelry in a safe deposit box, the insurance company requires me to get a replacement appraisal every 10 years or so.

I'll probably give it to my nephew back east next time I see him, so he can give it to whoever he decides to marry.

Hmm, Murph - I guess I would be looking for a current market value, so that I know it is not sold short and as a selling strength. Ie; a replacement cost might be interesting, but not practical in this case, I think.

Hmm, Murph - I guess I would be looking for a current market value, so that I know it is not sold short and as a selling strength. Ie; a replacement cost might be interesting, but not practical in this case, I think.

That's why I pointed out the different appraisals, so you can be very explicit when you talk with an appraiser.

Back