[NA] Selectively flakey flash drive [NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
What would cause a usb flash drive to fail, on Word documents only?
It will accept and store jpgs etc just fine but anytime I put a W doc on it, upon reopening the document it says it cannot read it because it is missing a converter.
-I am storing the document, not a shortcut.
-I have tried saving to the flash drive by dragging and dropping and also from within the document itself - File>Save As>Flashdrive
-have tried it with a couple computers, same result.
-also both computers can perform the same task with other flash drives.
"Kingston DataTraveler 32gb"

Sounds more like the Word document template got corrupted on the PC by a virus/malware.

I was going to recommend save to USB key then try to read it on another machine, but that'd spread something like that.

That or Word was pooched and needs a reinstall. When was the last time it worked?

No,no.
Word is working 100% in all other uses (on each laptop, on any other flashdrive).

The only problem is when I try to move it to this flashdrive.

Forgot to say I did two formats of the drive, regular and quick. Problem continues despite that.

The flashdrive stores any other file (that I have tried) just fine. Everything except a Word doc.

You missed what I was saying, I think.

The problem is not the flashdrive. It's a corrupted file in the Word install on the laptop.

Reinstall Word and find out what corrupted the machine (virus, malware, someone deleted key files, etc.).

Nate-

He can save and move and open the same files to and from other disks and thumb drives - just not this particular one. Save to this one, Word doc is corrupted. Save to another one, alles in ordnung.

I think it's one of this embedded program things in the thumb drive. Sh*t-can it.

Nate-

He can save and move and open the same files to and from other disks and thumb drives - just not this particular one. Save to this one, Word doc is corrupted. Save to another one, alles in ordnung.

I think it's one of this embedded program things in the thumb drive. Sh*t-can it.

Agree. I've got a Patriot flash drive that's rated for 32 GB. But it won't store a 32 GB backup file. 8 GB is fine. Other 32 GB drives work fine, as do USB hard drives.

I also had never ending problems with a drive that had U3 on it - that drive self-installed software on my computer that I neither needed or wanted. I ended up stripping the U3 using a program that is available from the mfr. website (to dire warnings in the program about losing utility from the drive). It's worked fine since.

I'm with Spike. Dump the flash drive and get another of a different brand. Life's too short to screw around with this kind of problem.

Didn't realize it worked with other thumb drives...?

That's downright weird.

I think it's one of this embedded program things in the thumb drive.

and embedded in such a way that formatting does not remove it! (c abv)

Back