[NA]Secret ammo sources[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Post yours.
I need to replace a friend's shotgun shells and cannot find locally or...anywhere.
Academy has this cute "hide unavailable products" switch on their site which is annoyingly bogus. (they appear to have product but at checkout it becomes unavailable)

I need 50 or so 20ga 2&3/4" long 2&1/2dram 7/8oz 7.5shot (R20SL10075=remington number)

Post yours.
I need to replace a friend's shotgun shells and cannot find locally or...anywhere.
Academy has this cute "hide unavailable products" switch on their site which is annoyingly bogus. (they appear to have product but at checkout it becomes unavailable)

I need 50 or so 20ga 2&3/4" long 2&1/2dram 7/8oz 7.5shot (R20SL10075=remington number)

sadly, a lot of ammo is currently made out of unobtanium. Be patient, it'll come back.

But, one source is an estate sale. Morbid, yes, but it is a valid source. There are people that buy up possessions of someone who has passed away and then resell it.

Something else would be to visit local gun clubs and make your request.

You could try a sporting clays or trap shooting business. They may not sell if you don’t plan to shoot a round. They do usually reload their own shells though.

Post yours.

Meet me at Dunkin Donuts at 4:30 AM tomorrow morning. Come alone. Bring brown paper bag with 10 unmarked non consecutive serial numbered $20's. I'll be wearing Astro's ball cap backwards on my head. You say "look's like it's going to be hot one today." I will reply with "yeah, heard there's going to be thunderstorms this afternoon."

Sorry, that looks like a tall order...

Was shocked to see 100 round boxes of .45 Auto at Cabella's yesterday...

People have been saying that since Obama's first election. I'll believe it when I see it.

<shrug> 9mm used to be a box of 50 for $8.99 and was basically so available that I could buy as much as I wanted.

light 8's were $58/case.

.223 was a cheap as $0.25/round. CCI .22lr SV at $29/brick.

This was before March 2020.

stuff was plentiful before March 2020.

it'll come back

Bring brown paper bag with 10 unmarked non consecutive serial numbered $20's.

Only ten.?? See ya in the morning.!!

I'll be the one passing excessive gas......had a sliced beef? sandwich from Dickies BBQ today.

Considering the owners, I really hope it was beef....

Post yours.

Ammoseek or gunbot will get you started. Depending on what flavor of shotshell, SGAmmo has some in stock right now.

Talked with a guy at Academy yesterday and he said the best time to find ammo at that store was Tuesday or Wednesday. That is when they get shipments in. They actually had some .223 on the shelf to my surprise, but i have a ton of that in my secret underground zombie bunker lair. I need 9mm to finish off those COVID27 zombies that survive the .223/.556 hit.:)

Meet me at Dunkin Donuts at 4:30 AM tomorrow morning. Come alone. Bring brown paper bag with 10 unmarked non consecutive serial numbered $20's. I'll be wearing Astro's ball cap backwards on my head. You say "look's like it's going to be hot one today." I will reply with "yeah, heard there's going to be thunderstorms this afternoon."
So you’re the guy with his head up the back of his Astro?

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/win...irsharedid=&irgwc=1&hvarAID=impact&cm_soc=AFF

actually I think the ammo situation has been gotten better. While it has a long way to go to get back to normal. I was actually able to get 2 bricks of CCI small pistol primer. For not a crazy price. But still twice what I’m used to paying. just have to keep your eye out and buy when available. 9mm is half Of what it was six months ago.

Last edited:
Agree with @Morgan3820, the situation is slowly becoming better, but prices are still way too high. Instead of $1 per round of .556, it's "on sale" at $0.70. I used to be able to get .556 at $0.30 per or lower.

As @JB1842 posted, AmmoSeek.com or check your local range boards to see if anyone's selling/trading. There's a forum for California gun owners with a sub-forum for buying/selling/trade of ammo. Not sure if your state has a similar website, but worth searching to see if there is one.

My local store had .223 on sale for $12 a box of 20 this past week. Limit of 10 boxes. 200 large pistol primers are $12 for 200. And a pound of powder for around $35 depending on type. I was also able to get a bag 100 unprimed .44 mag shells for $50 the other day. Definetly getting better overall with prices and supply. Still too high of prices overall, though.

Take a look up in Canada, in the last 6 months I’ve brought in 400,000 thousand rounds of assorted .45, 9mm, 556 ect for my local shop.

Takes about 6-7 weeks to get the form 6 approved.

If you can find a source up there, I’d be willing to tack it on to my next shipment.

Also the ammo situation def is getting better as a few people have mentioned. Prices are coming down, our distributors aren’t selling out in minutes anymore, I definitely expect things to be much cheaper in another 6 months.-Mathew

Last edited:
A little over a year ago around here they couldn't hardly give ammo away. It was cheap and plentiful. This happens all the time with ammo, it just swings one way or the other depending on current political leadership. In a year or two it will probably be plentiful again. When it does come back, 'buy cheap & stack it deep'.

I noticed this is all range ammo, y’all just buy your hollow points from local stores, since hopefully it’s in limited quantities?

I noticed this is all range ammo, y’all just buy your hollow points from local stores, since hopefully it’s in limited quantities?

Federal has HST available for direct order on their website from time to time. That price is the cheapest I’ve paid for it.

I’m not generally running premium SD ammo at the range though…just no reason to unless somebody else is paying for it.

I’m not generally running premium SD ammo at the range though…just no reason to unless somebody else is paying for it.

Ditto here. Have SD ammo and purchased when I could. That's all "safety stock" now and I don't touch it unless a need arises. I use the smaller stuff (primarily .22LR) and sparingly use the larger bore ammo for practice and sight-in using a laser bore sighter now.

A little over a year ago around here they couldn't hardly give ammo away. It was cheap and plentiful. This happens all the time with ammo, it just swings one way or the other depending on current political leadership. In a year or two it will probably be plentiful again. When it does come back, 'buy cheap & stack it deep'.

If this is any prediction it’s getting ready to fall.
A0C4E11E-9FD6-4F4A-9763-DC7A0481C632.jpeg

Those 100 round shotgun ammo packs have been in stock at Walmart periodically lately, 12 & 20. The price is usually $26.xx a pack. It’s hit or miss.

I bought two 45-70’s a few weeks ago. One a ‘trap-door’ dated 1892, Army issue. The other a modern Henry lever.

Ammo is kinda tight, but I got some Starline cases, dies, .458” bullets & loaded up some. I blame some on the movie ‘Wind River’.
40648F17-42EC-46E1-A34D-EC4FDB163D40.jpeg

Nice. I’ve been looking to acquire a henry 357 but nothing so far. Might wait to see what Ruger comes out with

Last edited:
Back