[NA] Seattle area? [NA]

Caramon13

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Romeo
Hey everyone,

So...nothing is firm right now and I kinda don't want to jinx it, but anyone in the Seattle area able to tell me what flight training or the general area is like up there? Places to avoid, etc?

I MIGHT be making a move there in the next month or so if things work out.

Looking for some local input :).

Check out Rainier Flight Service at Renton, Regal Air and Northway at Paine field in Everett, and Wild Blue aviation at Arlington. Flying is great up here. A lot of gray days that will teach you weather flying. But, when its clear and calm, the scenery is spectacular! I would recommend interviewing several schools/instructors to find the right fit. Like anywhere else, make sure scheduling and availability of both aircraft and instructor are going to meet your needs. Develop a relationship with an instructor that you like and don't waste your time on the instructors/flight schools that don't treat you like a customer. Getting stood up on the schedule more than once or twice, or finding questionable stuff on pre-flight is a red flag (learn how to preflight and what makes things a "go" or a "no-go").

Check out Rainier Flight Service at Renton, Regal Air and Northway at Paine field in Everett, and Wild Blue aviation at Arlington. Flying is great up here. A lot of gray days that will teach you weather flying. But, when its clear and calm, the scenery is spectacular! I would recommend interviewing several schools/instructors to find the right fit. Like anywhere else, make sure scheduling and availability of both aircraft and instructor are going to meet your needs. Develop a relationship with an instructor that you like and don't waste your time on the instructors/flight schools that don't treat you like a customer. Getting stood up on the schedule more than once or twice, or finding questionable stuff on pre-flight is a red flag (learn how to preflight and what makes things a "go" or a "no-go").

Awesome, thanks Kenny! I've got my CPL and instrument rating and I hardly ever use the instrument rating here in FL. That's honestly a REALLY exciting prospect to fly on those gray rainy days.

I'll look up those flight schools. I would most likely be close to Bellevue, or in and around the south lake union area.

Awesome, thanks Kenny! I've got my CPL and instrument rating and I hardly ever use the instrument rating here in FL. That's honestly a REALLY exciting prospect to fly on those gray rainy days.

I'll look up those flight schools. I would most likely be close to Bellevue, or in and around the south lake union area.

It's not always 'oh boy, lets get some actual.' Icing is very real issue there. Check these guys out. Harvey is a good ol' boys airport https://www.12newsnow.com/video/news/local/man-in-orange-shot-while-sitting-on-his-sofa/502-8253524

EDIT: @Caramon13 , oops, wrong link, that was meant for another reply. Here,https://www.snohomishflying.com/

Last edited:

Check out the float plane training at Kenmore.

If you are coming to the south end of the area, Center O Flying Club is a good option at KOLM. Get on the waiting list for membership (we're limited to 50 members, in the 19 years I've belonged I've been unable to get an airplane when I wanted one 3 times). Then hire an instructor on your own. I was a student pilot when I joined.

Oh, and if you come, welcome to the Pacific Northwe(s)t. And do worry about ice. It is real around here in the winter.

Thanks all :) I definitely understand the dangers of icing. Though I haven't flown in weather colder than about 45 degrees in something like 27 years so, that might take some getting used to

Check out the float plane training at Kenmore.

I saw that, definitely want to get my ASES at some point. They have it here in FL but it's like a 2 hour drive to get to anyplace that has sea planes and where I live there are absolutely none to rent so good luck maintaining currency.

Ignore anything @Tom-D says to get you to not move to the area. :D It is really nice there.

Hah gotcha. I'm sure if it happens I'll end up back in Florida at some point when I retire. It is the place for the newly wed and nearly dead after all.

The only problem I saw with Seattle was all the people. I interviewed there many years ago, the company I was interviewing with let me get a rental car and come in the day before. I spent the entire day stuck in traffic. I interviewed and they offered me the job. I told them no way on earth I'd live there.

Drove back up last year to meet a customer and the traffic was even worse than I remembered.

Hey everyone,

So...nothing is firm right now and I kinda don't want to jinx it, but anyone in the Seattle area able to tell me what flight training or the general area is like up there? Places to avoid, etc?

I MIGHT be making a move there in the next month or so if things work out.

Looking for some local input :).

I instructed out of Harvey and Boeing Field for over ten years so I have some perspective. Harvey is great, but unless you live in the north end of Seattle it is a boring drive. No tower, of course. Paine Field is good for those who live in the north end (full disclosure: I lived in the north end of town while instructing at Harvey).

For primary training I would point you toward Renton; not as busy as Boeing but it does have a tower, and your instructor should take you to a number of non-towered fields to broaden your experience. I know Meg Godlewski at Renton...I don't know anyone at Boeing any more. There are several training facilities lined up on the east side; Galvins has been around the longest (they were in business when I began instructing at BFI in 1970).

As far as weather is concerned, the Pacific Northwest is the ideal place to learn to fly: some glorious days, with scenery to match, and some gloomy days during which you learn to make go/no-go decisions for real. Great for instrument training, but that's not what you are looking for, is it?

Housing costs are out of sight.

Bob Gardner

The only problem I saw with Seattle was all the people. I interviewed there many years ago, the company I was interviewing with let me get a rental car and come in the day before. I spent the entire day stuck in traffic. I interviewed and they offered me the job. I told them no way on earth I'd live there.

Drove back up last year to meet a customer and the traffic was even worse than I remembered.

Go to 1:40 to find out why

Yeah, I was looking at the driving maps for where I might be working and living and they look a lot busier then where I am now. Always wanted to live in a big city but somehow always
I instructed out of Harvey and Boeing Field for over ten years so I have some perspective. Harvey is great, but unless you live in the north end of Seattle it is a boring drive. No tower, of course. Paine Field is good for those who live in the north end (full disclosure: I lived in the north end of town while instructing at Harvey).

For primary training I would point you toward Renton; not as busy as Boeing but it does have a tower, and your instructor should take you to a number of non-towered fields to broaden your experience. I know Meg Godlewski at Renton...I don't know anyone at Boeing any more. There are several training facilities lined up on the east side; Galvins has been around the longest (they were in business when I began instructing at BFI in 1970).

As far as weather is concerned, the Pacific Northwest is the ideal place to learn to fly: some glorious days, with scenery to match, and some gloomy days during which you learn to make go/no-go decisions for real. Great for instrument training, but that's not what you are looking for, is it?

Housing costs are out of sight.

Bob Gardner

Thanks Bob! Yes...I was looking at housing and it is expensive relative to where I live now. I've got a child starting middle school this year, so I'm looking for the best areas education wise as a top priority and then cost. And..this is all very preliminary too, I don't have an offer yet so just feeling things out.

Worst case I don't get an offer and I go up there for vacation at some point and soak it all in :). Never been to the Pacific Northwest and it's always been someplace I've wanted to go.

Seattle traffic is one reason (of many) that I'm glad I didn't live or work there. Before retiring 4 years ago I worked for Intel at their facility in DuPont (between Olympia and Tacoma). In the 19 years I worked there my commute (19 miles) was about 30 minutes. It didn't change during that entire time. The advantage of a reverse commute. Most traffic was heading into Olympia in the morning and out in the afternoon, while I was going the opposite direction.

BTW, the schools in the Olympia area are very good. My wife retired 3 years ago from 20 years teaching in North Thurston School District and can answer any questions you might have about the area.

Yeah, I was looking at the driving maps for where I might be working and living and they look a lot busier then where I am now. Always wanted to live in a big city but somehow always

Thanks Bob! Yes...I was looking at housing and it is expensive relative to where I live now. I've got a child starting middle school this year, so I'm looking for the best areas education wise as a top priority and then cost. And..this is all very preliminary too, I don't have an offer yet so just feeling things out.

Worst case I don't get an offer and I go up there for vacation at some point and soak it all in :). Never been to the Pacific Northwest and it's always been someplace I've wanted to go.

I live in Renton, where housing costs are much more reasonable than they are within the Seattle city limits or on the east side. Good schools, too.

Seattle traffic is one reason (of many) that I'm glad I didn't live or work there. Before retiring 4 years ago I worked for Intel at their facility in DuPont (between Olympia and Tacoma). In the 19 years I worked there my commute (19 miles) was about 30 minutes. It didn't change during that entire time. The advantage of a reverse commute. Most traffic was heading into Olympia in the morning and out in the afternoon, while I was going the opposite direction.

BTW, the schools in the Olympia area are very good. My wife retired 3 years ago from 20 years teaching in North Thurston School District and can answer any questions you might have about the area.

Thanks Gherry! Had not looked in that area but will take a peek. If things work out I'd be bringing a 5th grader at some point :).

I live in Renton, where housing costs are much more reasonable than they are within the Seattle city limits or on the east side. Good schools, too.

Thanks Bob, I was looking at Bellevue and Redmond and housing there is 600K - 1M, probably a bit out of my range right away.

It's definitely a bigger city than I'm used to. Tampa (nearest to me) has about half of what Seattle has population-wise.

I hope you like rain. LOL.

Someone living in Seattle will shortly come in to correct you say - na... it doesn’t rain that much.

People living in Seattle will never agree that it rains freaking all the time there, at least when I visit , that’s always the case

Someone living in Seattle will shortly come in to correct you say - na... it doesn’t rain that much.

People living in Seattle will never agree that it rains freaking all the time there, at least when I visit , that’s always the case

It'll sprinkle off and on, for days on end. If you're easily depressed by gray overcast, you'll need to keep a UV light from the middle of October, through March. There are spring days where you can go from sunny 70f afternoon to a hail storm and a 20 degree temp drop in a matter of minutes. That being said, its actually pretty rare that I couldn't at least jump in the bugsmasher and log a few touch and goes.

It'll sprinkle off and on, for days on end. If you're easily depressed by gray overcast, you'll need to keep a UV light from the middle of October, through March. There are spring days where you can go from sunny 70f afternoon to a hail storm and a 20 degree temp drop in a matter of minutes. That being said, its actually pretty rare that I couldn't at least jump in the bugsmasher and log a few touch and goes.
Actually, OKH gets more VFR Days than So-Cal. I've seen days when you are at the top hill you can see Port Townsand but not the other end of the run way.

I live on the Oregon Coast, I'll tell anyone who wants to know that it rains 380+ days/year here and it's miserable, high winds, fog, rain, it's horrible year round.

Yet the tourists keep coming.

Here's some photographic proof of the horrible and awful weather, taken just down the street from my house.

E119F26A-FB8B-414B-9D2C-DC8346CB42AB.jpeg

The thing about Seattle when I was growing up there was that it had a lot of overcast and a lot of drizzle, but not that large a volume of rain. At one point I consulted an almanac and found that the place had 48 clear days per year, and about an equal number of partly cloudy days. I also checked Portland, and found that it had a greater volume of rain, but also had more sunshine.

Back