[NA]Search function Windows 7[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I am used to XP where searching the computer for files seemed intuitive (to me), now have a Win7 machine and apparently I am missing the boat on how to search for specific files.

I double-click a folder on the desktop which I want to search, this opens it with a search box in the top right.
This folder has a couple dozen subfolders I have made over the last year.

I type in my search term ie "aviation", thinking it will find all files or folders with "aviation" in the title.

No, I get a bazillion files, all of which are probably located in the Aviation folder.

I am pretty sure WinXP would only deliver the files/folders with "aviation" actually in the file/folder name, not every file in the Aviation folder!

How should I be searching for the desired result?

Attachments

• search.jpg
    search.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 10
right click on a blank space in that directory and show "tags"
I suspect all those files are tagged "Aviation"

Try right clicking the column headers under the search bar

attachment.php

Attachments

• tags.jpg
    tags.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 43
Done. There are only a half dozen tags on the hundreds/thousands of files/folders; none of the tags are "aviation"

Last edited:
Also, I note many files that have nothing to do with aviation, "setup" "Activesync setup", some biz files nothing to do with flying.

Something isn't right.
I am trying various searches, and I am only getting results where the search term is in the file name.

strange

I believe your search is scanning the contents of the files versus the name.
I am not sure why though.

Do this

Right click start Orb
click "open windows explorer"
hit the "alt" key and a new tool bar will appear
click "tools"
click "folder options"
click the search tab

in "what to search", choose the top option
"in indexed blah blah, search files and contents. In on indexed, just search file names"

now do your search

Attached is how that box looks at the moment; unaltered.
I was unsure of your directions ref last post:

Attachments

• start.jpg
    start.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 7
I haven't gone though the entire page, but it looks like the author of this page has provided the most exhaustive set of instructions I've ever come across for using Win7 search. I was looking for the "official" Microsoft page to post a link for you, but this actually one looks better.

Rich

That's strange. Something is unique about your setup. That is what I have selected and I get the behavior you are expecting.

KENjr on here is a MS guru. I believe he knows this stuff backward and forward.

Search for "name:aviation" (without the quotes).

Rich
This worked for me.

I was searching for a file with the word "scan" in it. I happen to have a sub folder with the letters "scan" in the folder name. Prior to entering
name:scan
it returned every file in that folder.

name:aviation
fixes it.
Crazy.
Thank you so much.
Will look at that link too.

Back