[NA]Scam gets Marshall/Trooper[NA]

After all those years he's just now realizing his wife is smarter than he is? I realized that right away and was in large measure the reason why I married her.

Of course I don't always take advantage of that fact:redface:

Speaking as a cop, if the guy sounded just like his nephew, there's a chance it WAS his nephew or someone else close to him scamming him. It's unlikely it was just some random scammer picking his name from the phone book.
It's possible, but that would not be my first investigative avenue.

I've seen situations such as Alan describes but who knows. My law partner and I sound so much alike folks really can't tell the difference.

Just the other day I got an email from a woman that I have considered using as an expert witness. The email wasvery friendly didn't involve any Nigerian Deputy Ministers of oil revenue or diposed princes. The email said she was in England for a confernece and lost her wallet and needed $2700.00 to pay her hotel bill she needed a loan and would get the money back to me. I have had so little contact with this woman I knew it was a scam.

I called her office to tell her. Apparently someone hijacked her hotmail account sent this email to EVERY one on her list and locked her out. Scary!!

I've seen situations such as Alan describes but who knows. My law partner and I sound so much alike folks really can't tell the difference.

Just the other day I got an email from a woman that I have considered using as an expert witness. The email wasvery friendly didn't involve any Nigerian Deputy Ministers of oil revenue or diposed princes. The email said she was in England for a confernece and lost her wallet and needed $2700.00 to pay her hotel bill she needed a loan and would get the money back to me. I have had so little contact with this woman I knew it was a scam.

I called her office to tell her. Apparently someone hijacked her hotmail account sent this email to EVERY one on her list and locked her out. Scary!!

Just as an FYI to everyone.

In Paris a few years back, at a conference, a colleague of mine had her purse stolen and lost all of her credit cards and passport.

With regards to the hotel bill, the front desk already had her number from the check in. They called AMEX and got the authorization to charge her card without another swipe, helped her put a stop on that current number and get a replacement. The hotel also offered her a cash advance to help her out.

The passport took two days to replace, again the hotel helped her get to and from the embassy by lending her a car and driver. Lost wallets, purses, credits cards happen a lot and hotels know how to deal with this. The hotel was a 3-star type of place and they did all this for her. So unless the person in the email was staying at a roach motel I would have questioned the request.

You have to be hyper alert, period...
I get scam attempts every day...
Phone calls purporting to be the copy machine store filling our toner order and gives my secretary the number on the card and said he only needs to confirm the security code on the back of the card so they can ship (he must have harvested my card somehow without getting the 3 digit SC)...
The really sexy, flirty lady that called from the hotel we normally stay at when we travel wanting to 'authorize' us a special 3 night weekend for the price of one night as a reward for being a regular customer... She just needed me to confirm my CC number to prove it was me she was giving the "authorization number" to...
Scammers claiming to be a personal friend to cajole my staff into putting me on the phone with them (the 1.5 friends I have in this world already have my cell number)
The "bank" needing to confirm my account number to 'replace' a night deposit that was not credited... (I do not make night deposits)
And on, and on...

And the one yesterday... A lady who has been a patient in the past called in tears and got my staff all worked up over her poor treatment at the hospital EMR last night... And she was still in pain and they didn't give her anything for it and she just wanted to talk with me because I was the only doctor that ever helped her... Well, I can smell an oxycontin addict from 3 counties away... I refused to take the phone, leaving my wife and staff thoroughly annoyed with me (I can live with that as long as it keeps the DEA from being thoroughly annoyed with me)...

denny-o

You have to be hyper alert, period...
I get scam attempts every day...
Phone calls purporting to be the copy machine store filling our toner order and gives my secretary the number on the card and said he only needs to confirm the security code on the back of the card so they can ship (he must have harvested my card somehow without getting the 3 digit SC)...
The really sexy, flirty lady that called from the hotel we normally stay at when we travel wanting to 'authorize' us a special 3 night weekend for the price of one night as a reward for being a regular customer... She just needed me to confirm my CC number to prove it was me she was giving the "authorization number" to...
Scammers claiming to be a personal friend to cajole my staff into putting me on the phone with them (the 1.5 friends I have in this world already have my cell number)
The "bank" needing to confirm my account number to 'replace' a night deposit that was not credited... (I do not make night deposits)
And on, and on...

And the one yesterday... A lady who has been a patient in the past called in tears and got my staff all worked up over her poor treatment at the hospital EMR last night... And she was still in pain and they didn't give her anything for it and she just wanted to talk with me because I was the only doctor that ever helped her... Well, I can smell an oxycontin addict from 3 counties away... I refused to take the phone, leaving my wife and staff thoroughly annoyed with me (I can live with that as long as it keeps the DEA from being thoroughly annoyed with me)...

denny-o

The joys of owning a business, eh??

It's amazing, you can never relax. What if we chopped the hands off scammers? That might help. Let the people they scam do the chopping?? It would provide some therapeutic benefits for the scammers.

The really sexy, flirty lady that called from the hotel we normally stay at when we travel wanting to 'authorize' us a special 3 night weekend for the price of one night as a reward for being a regular customer...

I got one like that after our cruise to the med last year. Guy with a very thick Hispanic accent calls to say he's from a travel agency in Rome and we'd been chosen out of "thousands" of visitors to Rome last year to win an all expenses paid return trip for free. All he needed was a credit card number to verify our identity so he could ship us the tickets. I told him I didn't use credit cards but I'd show him my passport to prove my identity when I arrived in Rome. He hung up on me.

Back