[NA] sam's club or Costco

Hot dogs are better at Sam's. We have both memberships.

Costco has decent dog treats....

Just different stuff is better at each...

We "probably" save enough to justify each membership...

For the low-volume buyers, I think BJ's wholesale club still offers free trial memberships for 3 months every year around the holidays.

When I was single, I'd take the free membership every year, make a single trip to the warehouse, buy a bale of paper towels, a bale of toilet paper, a bale of Kleenex boxes, a couple of Christmas gifts, and a few non-perishable staples I knew I'd use. And that would pretty much see me all the way through to the next year's free membership offer.

My wife got her Costco membership when it was Price Club ... from the original, first Price Club store, in San Diego.

I had a business account with Pace, before they became Sam's Club.

One year with membership renewals coming up, we did a trial run with our normal shopping list at Costco and then did the same at Sam's. Most items (different brand labels) were available at both stores, the the final total on the list was close enough to be a wash. We chose to renew Costco and let Sam's go.

Our church men's ministry still buys meat for our monthly breakfasts and steaks (rib roast and slice our own, actually) from Sam's.

Seems like Costco is really concerned about my health over the years, as they chose to discontinue items at the food court. First the nachos, then the fresh baked cookies, something else that was a favorite that I can't recall now - churros, maybe? ... but when they switched the soft drink vendor from Coke to Pepsi, I was forced to choose water or sometimes the lemonaide. Even with loss of a diet coke with the hot dog, it's still the best lunch deal going.

I do miss the seniors' early bird dinner or quick lunch - grazing the samples. :)

Meh, when they dropped Amex, I just signed up for the Costo Visa. No biggie...

Yeah wasn’t the branding change, was the change in what you got. Amex was way better.

I was making decent money off of Costco on non-Costco stuff back then and Amex was charging Costco for it. Way more than the membership fee. Ha.

But that’s many years under the bridge now. Just sharing what triggered making the spreadsheet.

Back